Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:34:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNetherWorld: Drugs, Sex and Pixels adventure game.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: NetherWorld: Drugs, Sex and Pixels adventure game.  (Read 9109 times)
DanBarr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 02:11:05 AM »

First, thank you very much for your feedback, you have won a beer.  Beer! (a virtual one)

First, a question: What are trying to convey with the teaser?

First, I wanted to show a little more the combat system, which is what I have shown less in social networks, Second, I wanted to convey a feeling of sadness, in this game every boss has his past and his reason for being and killing is not always the best option.

Without seeing the devlog and knowing a little bit about the game, my first impression regarding the trailer would've been "What is going on exactly?"  By that I mean, what is the player's role?  Is the player the little dude, the big guy or something else?  But either way because you start in the middle of the fight and shorly after the boss is dead.  So, the teaser loses out on impact that it could have if first the player's character is shown (e.g. being small compared to the forest).  Then the big menacing boss shows up and fight ensues with various weapons.  The shotgun seems quite generic compared to the much more unique looking flamethrower.

You've been right, I've been working on this game for a long time and for me it's obvious who is the protagonist and who is the boss, but for someone who has never seen my game, this is not easy to appreciate, here I have a problem to fix .

The music is an interesting choice.  At first, I imagined an *epic battle* music more fitting for fighting a boss, but for the trailer it could work if the idea and theme you're trying to convey is "It's sad that you have to kill them" or something related to a dark-ish theme instead of being an epic hero.  Also, if you don't have any sfx/music going with your logo, then the music could start right at the beginning.  That could set the mood immediately instead of having the empty silence.

Indeed, the music has been chosen specifically to convey sadness.

In terms of motivation, you could add a one-line at the beginning or end to give a better idea about the player's motivation.

I thought about it, but in the end I decided to show something short and shocking, most people who follow me on social networks or see my game in IndieDB would not hold a very long video and my goal was to compress it as much as I could.

Oh, isn't the Stormtrooper helmet under some kind of copyright?

That helmet will not be in the final game, it's just a meme for social networks.

Your opinion has helped me a lot, thank you!

joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 09:37:16 AM »

I personally like the sad music. TBH I am tired of the oversaturated 'epic' music that you hear literally EVERYWHERE these days. Kudos Dan, for doing something different. Your game is unique and I applaud you not doing the same thing every other game does in its trailers.
s_harriton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 10:18:18 AM »

In my opinion the sound design begs for bigger aggressive music. If you are married to the very mellow style of the music, I would suggest dialing back the sound design. Currently they seem mismatched.  I think because of the gritty nature of the art, choosing something a little darker for the music would be cool.

Maybe a drone would be cool? Something like this might split the difference between what you have and the standard epic stuff?

https://soundcloud.com/stevenharriton/fear

Hope that helps. Keep up the good work. The visuals are sweet!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 04:34:16 PM »

First, thank you very much for your feedback, you have won a beer.  Beer! (a virtual one)
That's great!  Because I don't drink! Cheesy

Given your response, the choice of music makes sense.

I do wonder about the target audience.  I assumed that the Kickstarter announcement trailer was intended for any potential player and not just people who already follow you.  While followers will obviously be familiar with game, I'm assuming you'll need more people's support for the KS.  Thus when followers forward the trailer to other potential supporters or new people come across it, it'd still be better to include a "little more" to let them know what the game is about.  Of course, I'm assuming that the actual KS trailer will feature more details.

joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2018, 06:14:30 PM »

...it'd still be better to include a "little more" to let them know what the game is about.
I'd have to agree here. I have been following this game for awhile now so I am already excited but if that trailer was the only exposure I had to the game I probably wouldn't be as excited for it tbh. Now I don't like when trailers give away too much, but it does feel like you may be holding your cards a little too close to your chest here. There are so many amazing environments in the game, the world feels large and varied, making me want to explore it but going by this little teaser you won't realize that there is so much more to the game. I think maybe even just a few quick flashes of some of the different environments in the game would go a long way to gathering more interest.
DanBarr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 10:47:48 AM »

In my opinion the sound design begs for bigger aggressive music. If you are married to the very mellow style of the music, I would suggest dialing back the sound design. Currently they seem mismatched.  I think because of the gritty nature of the art, choosing something a little darker for the music would be cool.

Maybe a drone would be cool? Something like this might split the difference between what you have and the standard epic stuff?

https://soundcloud.com/stevenharriton/fear

Hope that helps. Keep up the good work. The visuals are sweet!

Thanks for your opinion mate, It was clear to me that the music had to contrast with the scene, but seeing the opinions maybe i do some tests with something different, thank you very much! Smiley

DanBarr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 10:48:05 AM »

I personally like the sad music. TBH I am tired of the oversaturated 'epic' music that you hear literally EVERYWHERE these days. Kudos Dan, for doing something different. Your game is unique and I applaud you not doing the same thing every other game does in its trailers.

Same here, If you don't have an epic scene, adding epicity with epic music usually results in ridicule.

DanBarr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 10:48:12 AM »

First, thank you very much for your feedback, you have won a beer.  Beer! (a virtual one)
That's great!  Because I don't drink! Cheesy

Given your response, the choice of music makes sense.

I do wonder about the target audience.  I assumed that the Kickstarter announcement trailer was intended for any potential player and not just people who already follow you.  While followers will obviously be familiar with game, I'm assuming you'll need more people's support for the KS.  Thus when followers forward the trailer to other potential supporters or new people come across it, it'd still be better to include a "little more" to let them know what the game is about.  Of course, I'm assuming that the actual KS trailer will feature more details.

You are right,I focused the teaser on someone who has followed the development, when I should have focused on the person who has never seen the game.
Of course, the kickstarter will have a specific trailer (not teaser), this was just a small teaser to announce it, the trailer will be much more explanatory. Smiley

DanBarr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 06:06:28 AM »

Well, I just wrote an article in Indiedb and I want to share it with you.

Church's Abbess of Netherworld's city, the legend tells that to protect her church she is able to give birth to creatures and use them as a mace grabbing them from her umbilical cord.

We can tell you clearly that it is not just a legend.

Well, you have entered this link to know "How to weaponize your son" and we're going to show you that step by step how.

• First step, you have to give birth. generally opening the legs and squeezing. but we prefer to use the Unity physics engine.

• Second Step, Grab the umbilical cord, usually 1m from the fetus is fine.

• Third step, the moment you've been waiting for is here, burst your son against things. We have 3 force vectors, each of them will be applied temporarily spaced to the body of the fetus, it will be tied to the hand by the Unity physics system.

Why 3 vectors?

Well, we could have broken it down into how many vectors we want, but we decided 3 vectors was enough for a 2d game.

video reference

The red line is the "bounce" vector, it is calculated in each hit. A force will be applied in this direction to add a bounce effect a little more "Cartoon" (Only in strong impacts)

• Fourth step, Be carefull, it can blow out in your face.

And finally, a sample of its final version.

Conclusion

If you have to design a boss that uses a mace, the smartest thing is to draw the animation :D

See you on Twitter and if you like our content.

Thank you for reading.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 03:08:01 PM »

I have a *feeling* your game is gonna have an age check on Steam.  Embarrassed

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2018, 05:39:59 AM »

WOW. I love the tone and feel of this. Graphics are very cool. Honestly I liked the music in the trailer - though I do think the sfx need to be toned back/modified a bit maybe. I assume those are still WIP though?

I also agree that the trailer could use a bit more explanation/exposition. But I think it's a great start!

Really interested in this!  Beer!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
DanBarr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2018, 04:58:08 AM »

WOW. I love the tone and feel of this. Graphics are very cool. Honestly I liked the music in the trailer - though I do think the sfx need to be toned back/modified a bit maybe. I assume those are still WIP though?

I also agree that the trailer could use a bit more explanation/exposition. But I think it's a great start!

Really interested in this!  Beer!

Thanks for your comment i saw you on twitter!

Definitely not the best teaser in the world  Cheesy  Cheesy

DanBarr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2018, 04:58:33 AM »

I have a *feeling* your game is gonna have an age check on Steam.  Embarrassed

Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

DanBarr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2018, 03:26:08 AM »

This guy is giving interviews without my permission.

Out Thunderclap here! Cool

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2018, 04:44:48 AM »

HAHAHA that was excellent! The repeated "cuts", and the dialogue after was hilarious, had me laughing out loud in the 2nd minute. Love the humor.  Beer!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Reyn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2018, 08:06:01 AM »

I like the choice of music and the aesthetic although it might be a bit too dark, you need a way to make the characters, which are completely black, stand out from the background which is too tenuously illuminated, Dark Souls is probably a good example of what you should be looking for in that armors and characters have shiny highlights over darker tones, Darkest Dungeon portraits are another good example of it.
DanBarr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2018, 12:30:44 PM »

HAHAHA that was excellent! The repeated "cuts", and the dialogue after was hilarious, had me laughing out loud in the 2nd minute. Love the humor.  Beer!

I'm glad you like it   Smiley

I like the choice of music and the aesthetic although it might be a bit too dark, you need a way to make the characters, which are completely black, stand out from the background which is too tenuously illuminated, Dark Souls is probably a good example of what you should be looking for in that armors and characters have shiny highlights over darker tones, Darkest Dungeon portraits are another good example of it.

Thanks for your comment, I think you're right, we definitely have to work to fix it. I thought that with white eyes the player could make an idea of where the character is, but evidently the hitbox of the character is bigger than just the eyes and can be confusing.

DanBarr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2018, 07:08:04 AM »

Working on a boss, probably for a demo that we want to release soon, but for now, working without assets.

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2018, 08:12:52 AM »

This looks great! Following! Smiley

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
DanBarr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2018, 03:38:20 AM »

This looks great! Following! Smiley

Thanks Sid Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4