Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411501 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:54:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRocco & Renwick
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Rocco & Renwick  (Read 20723 times)
Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2018, 02:41:28 AM »

Play as Rocco the Crocco and his brainy sidekick Renwick Raven in a hodgepodge platformer that combines various things from various games. Save the mayor, thwart corny villains.....

THE TEAM
ME..I'm doing everything. Every pixel, Every animation, Every Song, Level design...etc..

My Wife. Always there to give me her 2 cents.

THE TOOLS
GAME MAKER STUDIO - game design tool, Pixel art tool.
LMMS - Music design tool.
Audacity - Sound editing and Voiceover tool...used to record classic character lines like ("Meh","Grrr",and "Derp")

BUILD OF THE GAME (BETA)
fixing bugs and tweaking some things

Video Of Gameplay *OLD*
Build 1 first 4 mins- Intro stage (Sewer1), Trailer park hub, Trailer park 1

-------

Screenshots!

CHARACTERS

PROTAGONISTS

ROCCO THE CROCO - Lazy as hell and always hungry. Rocco is a good guy who always has good intentions...But he can be a bit of a jerk.
With his powerful jaws he can bite through even the toughest metals.

--

RENWICK RAVEN - A lonely raven egg found it's way into the sewers...Rocco almost ate the egg but it hatched just before his first bite...Renwick was raised by Rocco in the sewers and she views him as a father figure. She dedicates her life to justice and claims to be a great detective.

---

ANTAGONISTS

ROBO ROCCO - A mysterious robot designed to look like Rocco. Origin unknown...but it wants to squeeze Rocco's guts out.

--
HOKUMPONTUS - Powerful enchantress and the leader of a ragtag group of desert punks. Anything that enters her territory becomes part of her gang or skinned alive.

--
THE MIGHTY PRINTOR - He's basically your standard Saturday morning villain. He has the power to print an unlimited amount of paper...He seeks glowing green radioactive rocks called Hot Stones for reasons unknown.  

--

SHOOBEE SHOOSTER - Born into an abusive family...Shoobee spent most of his childhood torturing small animals. He then went on to kill his family and over 100 strangers. The president hired him to do his filthy work...torturing....kidnapping...etc

--

CRAZY COCONUTS - A superhero and pro wrestler sworn to protect the president at all costs. This makes her an antagonist by assosication. Her naive nature makes her blind to what the president is actually up to.

--
Dr. GORA BERKOWITZ - An alcoholic Nazi scientist infamous for his grotesque experiments on humans. He has also developed weapons capable of genocide. He's recently been hired by the president to build a weapon capable of wiping out every other country in the world.

--

PRESIDENT DICK TATER - A potato who was once a wealthy businessman...he stumbled his way into his presidency and has become more power hungry than ever. He wants to make sure his country is the greatest in the world...this means he must destroy every other country.

---

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 03:46:53 PM by Garlicguy » Logged

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 09:32:04 AM »

Bug fixes. added new missions in Septic Springs trailer park stage.

Finished designing the first two chapters of the game. I'll release a build at some point.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:58:49 AM by Garlicguy » Logged

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 08:51:48 PM »

slightly smoother movement!

I realized how jumpy horizontal movement was, so I added a bit of friction. Flows a lot better with the camera this way.

I'm trying to come up with more ideas for abilities Rocco and Renwick can perform other than the double jump...I'm sure it'll come to me soon.

flex$
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 11:18:29 PM »

this reminds me a lot of those old Cartoon Network games, except rated PG-13 Corny Laugh i respect the one-man hustle, you're pulling it off well. keep going bro

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 07:08:24 AM »

Wow! It's neat that it's inspired by the 3D platformers, but with a 2D perspective.

Neat how it's directed toward older audiences, as well. That's awesome!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 07:33:11 AM »

@Flex$ - Thanks! The Old Cartoon Network game style is exactly what I was going for. There will be lots of polish applied later on.

@Amanfr01 - Thanks! The way I see it, all platformers are fundamentally identical, you can make a more immersive gaming experience when you add a 3rd dimension, but either way you're still just hopping around! The perk of a 2D platformer is the camera angles aren't ever an issue. LOL

Danton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 08:23:43 AM »

Some great ideas here... love the dessert / caravan scene... some great detail work there. All the best with it!

Unto The End - Wishlist on Steam
Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 05:05:57 PM »

@Danton - Thanks! Funny that you mentioned 'dessert'  that's actually the name of the strip club stage I designed for chapter 1 of the game.  "The Dessert tit bar and grill"

Danton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 04:33:48 PM »

Yes, Dessert --> Desert... I'm an idiot Smiley.

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 06:31:19 PM »

@Danton - Honest mistake! From the looks of your work, you're far from idiot staus.

*New bad guy type* Big Nose Thief

They don't always have mission essential items but chasing them is pretty fun. I've made them a lot smarter than they look! They are inspired by Spyro The Dragon's Egg thieves.

Valar05
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 08:38:53 AM »

I love how Renwick perches on the UI when they're not helping you double jump - that's a really nice touch.  The art style looks really great!  Somehow it reminds me of MS Paint, but not in a bad way.
DanBarr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 08:56:10 AM »

Looks pretty funny, i'm a Banjo Kazooie fan (N64 of course)  Grin

Danton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 09:21:57 AM »

@Garlicguy Thanks man Smiley.

@Valar05 Agree on both accounts. re MS Paint... agreed, the look is super clean but still has that pixel art craftsmanship to it, very nice. Really helps it stand out.

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 10:27:50 AM »

@ Valar05 - Lol thanks! Absolutely everything was drawn using the game maker studio graphics tools...and a laptop mousepad using my fingers! So yeah..mspaint basically. Haha.
@ Danbar - Thanks! I'm a long time N64 gamer. I miss the rare days.

My overall intent with the graphics wasn't to make them breath taking but good enough for the player to understand what they're looking at, yet goofy enough for them to not be taken too seriously. The game is supposed to be comical after all.

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 10:25:34 PM »

BUILD READY

Available on game jolt! 1arrow keys for movement. A to Jump. S to Bite.
https://gamejolt.com/games/RoccoRenwicj/309402

Hoj
Level 0

:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 02:22:52 PM »

BUILD READY

Available on game jolt! 1arrow keys for movement. A to Jump. S to Bite.
https://gamejolt.com/games/RoccoRenwicj/309402

Am I right in thinking the fart sounds play along to the music?

I'm having some fun playing this, I have to admit.

Please join our game design server on Discord: https://discord.gg/2vTggSz
Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 04:38:21 PM »

Am I right in thinking the fart sounds play along to the music?

I'm having some fun playing this, I have to admit.

You are correct! The fart sounds mimic the melody of the stage music. Same with the Gnomes whistling along to the stage music.

Inspired by Banjo Kazooie. Being near certain things causes them to affect the music or play along to it.

Glad you're having fun Hoj! Thanks for playing.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 04:54:03 PM by Garlicguy » Logged

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 06:37:39 PM »

Here's a video of the gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_FdIxsUsuc&feature=youtu.be

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 04:02:56 PM »

ANTAGONISTS

I love creating villains. I've been trying to flesh them out...

ROBO ROCCO - A mysterious robot designed to look like Rocco. Origin unknown...but it wants to squeeze Rocco's guts out.

--
HOKUMPONTUS - Powerful enchantress and the leader of a ragtag group of desert punks. Anything that enters her territory becomes part of her gang or skinned alive.

--
THE MIGHTY PRINTOR - He's basically your standard Saturday morning villain. He has the power to print an unlimited amount of paper...He seeks glowing green radioactive rocks called Hot Stones for reasons unknown.  

--

SHOOBEE SHOOSTER - Born into an abusive family...Shoobee spent most of his childhood torturing small animals. He then went on to kill his family and over 100 strangers. The president hired him to do his filthy work...torturing....kidnapping...etc

--

CRAZY COCONUTS - A superhero and pro wrestler sworn to protect the president at all costs. This makes her an antagonist by assosication. Her naive nature makes her blind to what the president is actually up to.

--
Dr. GORA BERKOWITZ - An alcoholic Nazi scientist infamous for his grotesque experiments on humans. He has also developed weapons capable of genocide. He's recently been hired by the president to build a weapon capable of wiping out every other country in the world.

--

PRESIDENT DICK TATER - A potato who was once a wealthy businessman...he stumbled his way into his presidency and has become more power hungry than ever. He wants to make sure his country is the greatest in the world...this means he must destroy every other country.

---

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 03:21:32 AM by Garlicguy » Logged

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 10:49:15 PM »

NEW GAME PLAY MODE - CHASE/RIDE STAGE

Every game needs a change of perspective. I've been working on a way to have Crash Bandicoot like hog ride stages in 2D and potentially some chase stages. I'm excited to work on stages with this new play style.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:09:39 PM by Garlicguy » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic