Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:26:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRocco & Renwick
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Rocco & Renwick  (Read 19238 times)
Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 04:35:44 AM »

HOG RIDE STAGE UPDATE

I've added collision, updated the hog ride animation, added a squishy effect for better feel. hog looks more like the hog foe foud in the side scrolling desert stages.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 12:38:12 PM »

HOG RIDE STAGE UPDATE

I've added collision, updated the hog ride animation, added a squishy effect for better feel. hog looks more like the hog foe foud in the side scrolling desert stages.

Not sure if this is already the final gameplay, but it seems like some of the objects are moving really fast.  Very close to (or perhaps less that) the average human reaction time of 0.2 seconds.  Upon closer inspection, those move even faster than the cacti on the sides of the screen.

I'd say the 0.2 seconds of average human reaction time plus time for game character to avoid the object would be a good starting point if you are creating a skill based game.  Otherwise, the gameplay will be based on luck.

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 02:03:24 PM »

I THINK I GOT IT THIS TIME...?

After some tweaking, I think I'm finally comfortable with the hog ride stages. My wife says that prompts to warn the player of obstacles may make these segments easier for everyone, so I added them. Now I think it's a bit too easy...Maybe I'll just make the prompts invisible in hard mode.

ALSO:
  - Rocco tilts to fit the landscape.
  - I've finished the damaging effect.
  - Slowed things down a bit so they flow better.
TEST HOG RIDE STAGES

If anyone would like to give this a try here's a handy link to my other devlog. Download Hog Ride Stage Test.

https://garlicguy.itch.io/rocco-renwick/devlog/20940/rocco-renwick

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 11:32:40 AM by Garlicguy » Logged

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2018, 02:39:41 PM »

Have you ever played that train game where you have to move on top of the rail cars and reach the locomotive?  In that game it is useful to have warnings for tunnels and sign posts that you have to avoid because you can't look ahead.  But in your game we can see much farther and objects rise above the horizon so I don't think the extra warning signs are needed.  However,it seems like that when the objects reach to "top of the hill". their speed seems to increase significantly for a short while, then slow down again.  Even seem a little faster than the cacti on the sides.  Initially, that makes it difficult to predict the actual arrival of objects but once you get used to that, I agree that it isn't that difficult.

Also, if you only keep objects that the player can jump over then technically speaking there's no need to move left and right.  Perhaps there could be shorter objects like the traps and taller objects (?walls) that the player can't jump over.  In some 3d games there are holes in the ground to avoid but that'd be probably a lot more work for a 2d game.

Since some games don't seem to run on computer, I gave the main demo a try yesterday to see if it even runs.  Especially, GameMaker games and others with certain graphical features.  So, when I first saw the GameMaker logo, I thought "Oh, no!" but fortunately I could play the game. Smiley

Here are my impressions:
-When I first saw the green water, I wasn't sure if it's safe to enter since it looked acidic/poisonous - especially with the bubbles.  However, since there was no other way to go, I jumped in.
-On the first level, it seems as if you could jump on various platforms (dark blue and dark "X" with outline).  In other gamse, I've seen outlines drawn with dark lines that the player can travel on, and probably that's why I expected to jump on those.
-Seems like the running animation is bit slower and the climbing animation is faster compared to travel.
-Without being able to aim up or down, attack is limited but can get used to.  However, the hit boxes seem off a bit.  For example, You can "bite" enemies even when they seem to be outside of the bite range.
-Similarly, enemies seemed to damage me, even though there was no *visible* collision.  I could sort of get used to and plan for that, but Crazy Coconuts' projectiles were a different matter.  Those hitting (probably) the corner of my character's collision hit box while rolling was a different matter.  There the issue was more "obvious" because it definitely seemed like that based on a rolling posture, my character should've easily clearer those.    I couldn't even pass her, though that was also in part of playing the game more for testing.
-Is the poop really that dangerous on the desert level that you lose 2 health units?
-Seemed like that the character can die again after dying  i.e. after dying it was hit by a projectile or enemy and the death animation was played again.

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2018, 05:47:51 PM »

@i03 - Thanks for testing! I hear you loud and clear.

- All of the obstacles in the riding stages move at the same speed even the side wall objects. I think its the scaling that makes them look as if they're moving faster. My plan is to actually have wall obstacles that the player can't jump over in the later riding stages...but maybe I should just throw them in the earlier riding stages just to make it more fun.

- I figured I'd make the water green because well sewer....but I hear you. The stage was designed to force the player to jump in because there is no other way to go. I may go back to blue to avoid confusion.

- I'll lighten up those dark X blocks.

- Ladder climb animation is a tad faster than the running animation...didn't notice that...I'll slow the ladder animation down.

- My intention was to limit the player's offenses (kind of like ninja gaiden for the NES or Megaman) so that you have to better plan your attack...I could've made him able to aim his bite but felt that would make things too easy. 

- I'll tweak the bounding box for the bite attack...There's just a bit of a fine line between a melee attack that does not have good range or too much...I think I could dial it back to a closer range so that it fit his animation better.

- The roll attack doesn't actually change the bounding box, there are just a few objects that have no effect on you while rolling. Yet another fine line there, if you're able to simply roll to avoid all of her projectiles the player could roll the entire time and cheese through the encounter...I'll need to figure a way around this.

- The poop in the trailer park is full of chemicals because it's septic tank poop...oh and spikey corn, but dealing -2 may be a bit much, now that I think about it. -1 for the septic tank poop it is.

- Yeah, I neglected to turn off collisions after death...easy fix!

Thank you so much for the detailed suggestions, and opinions!

-----

SUNDAY STUFF I DID

I'm working the Paper Fortress stage gameplay. Came up with a unique ladder system...but not quite sure what to do with it yet. the background is just a concept.

President Rich 'Dick' Tater has a huge ... ego.

He is the main antagonist of the game...so I feel his personality should be over the top. I think his statue sums up how he see's himself.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 05:54:10 PM by Garlicguy » Logged

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2018, 07:25:24 PM »

- All of the obstacles in the riding stages move at the same speed even the side wall objects. I think its the scaling that makes them look as if they're moving faster.
I was mainly comparing their vertical position on screen and it seemed like there was a difference.

My plan is to actually have wall obstacles that the player can't jump over in the later riding stages...but maybe I should just throw them in the earlier riding stages just to make it more fun.
Ah, then it's probably fine to leave those for later stage.  That way players can focus on jumping first, then later also on avoiding walls.

I figured I'd make the water green because well sewer....but I hear you. The stage was designed to force the player to jump in because there is no other way to go. I may go back to blue to avoid confusion.
If that is indeed how you intended it, the keep it green.  Players who assume it to be some kind of "bad" liquid ... will likely assume that the Rocco is a tough guy who can survive in that kind liquid. Wink  Plus, you can still use the same liquid if needed in the story.

My intention was to limit the player's offenses (kind of like ninja gaiden for the NES or Megaman) so that you have to better plan your attack...I could've made him able to aim his bite but felt that would make things too easy. 
Yeah, overall it's fine.  A few related things that I forgot to mention were that when a bouncy enemy was approaching, I wanted to move backwards to avoid it.  However, the initial backward movement was slow and I kept dying because I couldn't move fast enough.  But once I got hang of attacking mid-air, then those were fine.

- I'll tweak the bounding box for the bite attack...There's just a bit of a fine line between a melee attack that does not have good range or too much...I think I could dial it back to a closer range so that it fit his animation better.
Yeah, just a little bit is fine. Right now it seemed like as if there was a distance between the jaw and the enemy.

The roll attack doesn't actually change the bounding box, there are just a few objects that have no effect on you while rolling. Yet another fine line there, if you're able to simply roll to avoid all of her projectiles the player could roll the entire time and cheese through the encounter...I'll need to figure a way around this.
I agree that you shouldn't be able to avoid her projectiles.  My issue was that it seemed as if instead of a circle bounding box, Rocco had a square bounding box.  That's why her projectile could hit Rocco.  But looking at the visuals, there was a clear gap between Rocco's rolling body and the projectile and Rocco shouldn't have been it.  Unless something else is going on.  I remember in Flash, sometimes the box2d objects were lagging behind the visuals and similar kind of issues happened.

Thank you so much for the detailed suggestions, and opinions!

Oh, one more thing.  It seemed like that I should've been able to use the clothslines, but couldn't figure out how.  After watching your walkthrough and using them, I kept trying more.  So, I'm assuming that in the final game there will be tutorials to explain moves like that.

Samaras-Sama
Level 1

samy is my hero

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2018, 07:29:20 PM »

I came here from the Screenshot Saturday thread and lmfao I'm having the time of my life reading this

PRESIDENT DICK TATER - A potato who was once a wealthy businessman...he stumbled his way into his presidency and has become more power hungry than ever. He wants to make sure his country is the greatest in the world...this means he must destroy every other country.

This.. this is genius, I died of laughter rip, perfect name and description oh my god.

As I said before, please finish this and I'll be the first to make a playthrough, it looks incredible.

Devlog<br /><br />[/
Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2018, 08:30:33 PM »

@Io3 - Ah yes the clotheslines, sorry. Basically, all you do is bite attack the underwear/bra and hold the bite button down, release the button to let got...or hold it down to let it fling you off at the end of the clothesline. There will be more objects in the game that use a similar "bite to hang on" mechanic...like pull-down switches, parasols....So yes I'll find a way to inform the player because it will be crucial to completing the game.

@Oekaki-Sama - LOL I'm glad you enjoyed my not so subtle reference! Thanks again Oekaki-Sama! I'm having a blast working on this game. I've been working on it for 6 months now, and I have every intention to finish it. Beer!   

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2018, 09:14:55 PM »

Oh, looks like I didn't finish my sentence, but I did figure out how to use the clothsline. Grin  There weren't a lot of buttons so it only took a few attempts.  Of course, knowing that it can actually be done from the video helped. Smiley

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 07:21:05 AM »

Paper Fortress - The Mighty Printor's Lair

Starting to finish up the overall design and feel of the Paper Fortress stages. Came up with foes who fold themselves out of paper like the paper planes shown. I want this stage to make you feel like you're in this giant fortress of endless paper.

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2018, 07:39:57 AM »

- THE DESSERT -

Kind of a micro "world" just outside of Septic Springs Trailer park. The Dessert it a strip club (mostly for bulls) to drink and look at bouncing utters. Touching a dancer gets you kicked back to the bar section. This world consists of only 1 stage that I hope doesnt annoy the player...

Renwick chooses not to join you in the stage area.

- Flight and 2 Bite Foes -

The game is all about momentum. story dialog normally happens while moving...even when talking to NPC's you're free to move around and even walk away from the conversation (which ends it). I originally didn't want foes to require more than one hit and slow things down...but I think 2 hits is enough!

Also I've added pads that give renwick a flying ability.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:04:34 AM by Garlicguy » Logged

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2018, 05:06:15 AM »

I drew a thing.

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2018, 06:38:54 PM »

Objective List

I needed to figure out a way to organize the objectives, and allow the player to see what their current objectives are. So I decided to throw in a list. Once an NPC gives you an objective it will pop at the bottom there...When the said objective is completed it turns green and will normally tell you to talk to that NPC again.

World Selection (Hot Stone 3000)

Hot stones are the "McGuffins" of the game. President Dick Tater wants his hands on them to power his weapon and destroy every other country. After rescuing the mayor, she gives you this Hot Stone Detector...essentially handing you the stage select screen.

Each reading takes you to different HUB world. Each HUB world has it's own NPC's, missions...etc. You can't complete each world in one go...They will all be revisited throughout the game.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 06:55:17 PM by Garlicguy » Logged

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2018, 07:25:27 PM »

INVESTIGATE

I've taken a bit of inspiration from "point and click" adventure games...resident evil...silent hill...Instances where a character investigates an object or occurrence...This allows Renwick to show her "detective" feathers...Rocco normally chimes in with his simple-mindedness.

Investigating can lead to new mission objectives, clues that help Renwick figure something out (thus leading to a mission objective/cut scene..etc), or just to give the player an idea of what Rocco or Renwick think/feel about something.

What you see in the gif below is basically the set up to HOG RIDE STAGE 1. After investigating the HOG eating the gang member the player can then jump on the hog and start the stage.

Pause

Finally added a pause screen. I went with a silent one with a black background..The pause screen pauses all sounds and music. You can also select the hot stone detector (world select screen) on this screen at any time...After you get it from the mayor.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:46:40 PM by Garlicguy » Logged

Krucho
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2018, 01:21:36 PM »

I love your style, art characters and humor ("the mayor's not here? Oh nice, hope that BI...")

I agree the game is definitely too hard or frustrating with the enemies: it'd be nice to be able to chomp in the air and keep your momentum, or you could also give him a stomp/bump attack to give another angle of attack from above, or you could reduce enemy hitboxes just a bit THEY ARE MERCILESS
The poo can also double hit you with 1 spray and that feels like doomsday, just a bit more invulnerability maybe.

For the clothsline I think it'd be more intuitive if you make it so that you don't have to hold the button: to drop down you just press jump or chomp again instead.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 01:30:54 PM by Krucho » Logged
Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2018, 02:35:20 PM »

@ Krucho - Thanks Buddy! Beer!  I've been taking in all of the feedback I can....I hear you (and several others) on the clothes lines, and the bite attack.

Ive made the "Bite Hang" (instances where you bite and hang on objects...like the clothes lines)  more user friendly. You bite the object and don't need to hold...You just press bite again to release.

I'll draw up some air bite maneuvers and allow the player to keep momentum.

I was in the process of adding a stomp attack. Just wasn't sure if I'd make it a belly flop, a drill attack using Renwick, a tail bounce, or an elbow drop....maybe I can use them all...have the player decide between whichever on the fly to accomplish different things,...Smiley

I'll put all of this into a new beta build. Then post it up.

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2018, 06:10:36 AM »

Still working on a beta build 2.

ELBOW DROP

There needs to be a slam attack...but rather than making it a Wario butt bounce, I decided to make it an elbow drop. With RAW inspiration.

His whole body will deal damage, not just the elbow, so you won't need to be pixel perfect with this attack.

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2018, 03:46:42 PM »

REPLACED ROLL(EVADE) with SLIDE(ATTACK) - Finished ELBOW DROP

I decided to replace the roll with a slide to give it more of a crash bandicoot feel, and give Rocco a rush attack. When you use it on bad guys it sends them flying completely with a satisfying ricochet sound effect!

The slam attack was a no-brainer, I added a screen shake effect to give it more impact.

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2018, 11:43:17 AM »

LITTLE PLANET SHADER

I came up with a few "space stage" concepts. I wanted there to be an effect to set these stages apart...So I gave it this unique shader.

What you're seeing isn't a looping moon object, it's actually a regular flat plane...The shader allows me to design a traditional linear horizontal "GO RIGHT TO WIN" stage with the illusion of you rolling around on a planet.

I've got ideas for this effect that would work for more than just planets. Perhaps stages where Rocco is running on a boulder...idk

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 12:47:06 PM by Garlicguy » Logged

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2018, 07:41:59 PM »

Rocco and Renwick OST

The OST of the game is made by me using LMMS...I've been tweaking tracks, and making new ones.

This one is for the "Dank Forrest" stages toward the end of the game...I was going for a 90's porn music/ Vaporwave hybrid.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:47:16 PM by Garlicguy » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic