Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:36:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRocco & Renwick
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Rocco & Renwick  (Read 20500 times)
Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2018, 10:34:55 PM »

Been focusing more on writing down my ideas for the game, and the game's plot. Came up with ideas for new NPC's for the player to interact with. Like Scuzzo, a pot-head food employee. Pimp Ghost the ghost pimp. Big dead Ed, a gentleman zombie giant.    

etc...

These are just a few characters that Rocco and Renwick will get missions from at some point in the game.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 05:04:41 AM by Garlicguy » Logged

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2018, 08:51:04 AM »

Story Complete

Being a creative person, my mind wanders a bit, so to control myself from adding a crap ton of nonsense to the game on a whim, I decided to write the story of the game chapter by chapter before I take the time draw, animate, code, do more voiceover's (which normally consists of me making noises into a microphone), and make songs...for things I'd end up scrapping later.

So I've written down every mission, every interaction, every cut scene, every detail of ever stage, every ending.

The game has 8 chapters and 4 endings (Crisis averted ending, it had to be done ending, complete ending, and wtf ending)

I know...I know...multiple endings have become kind of a cliché in indie games lately...but for a story based game like this, I feel multiple endings are fitting.

Now it's time to transfer everything from my phone's "note pad"...to the game.

Polish

The game isn't all that polished yet...this isn't me bragging about my skill as a pixel artist or saying "you haven't seen my true potential yet" but there is still a lot I'd like to do with the graphics...more so the liveliness of the stages...edit the sound track...edit the dialogue....etc

Beta Build 2

I haven't forgotten to post it, or make it, I just want to polish buid 2 up more.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 09:00:00 AM by Garlicguy » Logged

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2018, 05:24:20 PM »

I've made some cover art finally. I re-designed President Dick Tater while I was at it.

I've done a bit of tweaking to the worlds of the game

The "Wasteland" world will have a much strong Mad Max, Borderlands kind of feel.

Ice

New Peyote high effect. Makes the music's pitch a bit higher.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 05:47:10 PM by Garlicguy » Logged

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2018, 08:31:37 PM »

New worlds

Ded Hill - Graveyard stage. The duo will assist the undead in exchange for mcguffins.

I've added a neat effect that happens when entering the building. The music changes and the outside world becomes invisible. To give you that feeling of being indoors.

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2018, 10:05:17 PM »

Doors

I added doors. They warp you around levels. This opens things up creatively. I may add a key system for some doors.

GIF shows a door maze stage. The player must choose the right doors to navigate this stage.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 05:05:29 AM by Garlicguy » Logged

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2018, 12:14:40 AM »

Wasteland Chapter Progress

The boss of the wasteland chapter is Hokum-Pontus. The leader of the Hokum gang. Rocco and Renwick are simply on her turf to collect things...not so much to put a stop to her gang.

Here are just of few gif's related to this chapter.

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2018, 07:57:05 PM »

BOSS 1, Astral Plane, Chapter 2 (Wasteland) Complete!

The first boss is Hokum-Pontus...She sends the duo to her Astral Plane after her gang fails the kill them.

Astral Plane Theme Song has a lost of chanting and is atmospheric.

She transforms into a wolf.

AND with that, I've finished Chapter 2 of the game...There will be polishing later.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 08:11:58 PM by Garlicguy » Logged

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2018, 05:29:05 PM »

Chapter 3 Progress

The following gif is from the second act of Chapter 3. The duo must fight in a trailer park wrestling tournament. Kind of a boss rush and a break from the traditional platforming.

The first challenger is Big Fat Bouncing Billy. An amateur wrestler with a mullet and big dreams of going pro. Each challenger is pretty simple (attack wise) until you reach the final challenger.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 07:28:01 AM by Garlicguy » Logged

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2018, 06:58:29 AM »

The other wrestlers for Chapter 3

Freshly baked concept sprites made this morning. I wanted a Crocodile Dundee/Crocodile Hunter Character in somewhere...What better point in the game than in the wrestling portion?

I wanted to show my process. Each character starts life as a gesture line (not shown here), then rainbow skeleton, then a nude model, and finally, detail is added.

Takes me about 30 mins to draw each of these with this process. I always paste Rocco in the sheet for size reference.

--- Finished the Crocodile Gorden segment of the tournament. The goal is to attack before he goes in for a grapple. It's telegraphed by the exclamation point.

--- Finished the Angelica and Develica segment. This fight happens before the Crocodile Gordon battle. The objective of this battle is to keep moving. I've been updating the arena piece by piece as I go.

Now all that remains is a battle with Crazy Coconuts...which is the "real boss" of this stage. The battle will basically combine all three challengers moves.

---Other than finishing the tournament fights, I've just been doing mild tweaking to the code, added a shock wave to the drop attack.  
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 08:37:52 PM by Garlicguy » Logged

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2018, 04:55:30 AM »

Chapter 3 - Act 1 - Grease Pit Grill (Dangerous Fast Food kitchen)

Going back to act 1 of chapter 3 before the wrestling tournament. This stage is mostly inspired by Mario Castle stages...but with a fast food kitchen theme.

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2018, 06:55:44 PM »

The President's Twat-It Entries

I love games where the main antagonist has a presence throughout the game...just so you know who the bad guy is, and why he/she is an ASS.

Between some stages, there are cutscenes where President Richard 'Dick' Tater is taking a shit and "Twating" about his day.  

Renwick's Magic Cannon hats!

Basically Donkey Kong Barrels. Adds a bit more to the platforming.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 08:12:45 PM by Garlicguy » Logged

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2018, 04:46:56 PM »

Grease Pit Grill Progress - hot section freezer section

I'm still working on chapter 3. Only 3 more chapters to go!

Grease pit grill has a frying section then a freezer section.

By using an object that monitors you x coordinate, the music goes from an 80's synth track to Christmas-y remix of the same track, background changes, and snow falls.

I also added a new foe I call a stacked snowman.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 06:21:08 PM by Garlicguy » Logged

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2018, 10:36:17 AM »

New Cutscene - New Character

Finished the cutscen that leads to the fast food kitchen stage. The owner is a Crane named Scuzo. He's inspired by Ed from good burger.

His voice is a very stoned sounding "CAW".

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 04:39:08 AM by Garlicguy » Logged

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2018, 05:15:21 AM »

Chapter 3 Complete

On to Chapter 4, where the duo must stop a serial killer from slaughtering a bunch of dumb teens. I'm going to try to complete Chapter 4 by this weekend.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 10:58:44 AM by Garlicguy » Logged

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2018, 11:17:47 AM »

CHAPTER 4 - Progress

Chapter 4 opens with a tall gate the duo must climb over to enter the graveyard. So far I've added moaning Zombies, and falling angel statues. Ghosts, and other ghouls coming soon.

--Ghosts!

These ghosts seem friendly but once you turn your back they try to get you! I basically set it to move towards player if they're both facing the same direction.

GHOST FUCKERS

A group of kids looking to get footage of ghosts.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 07:35:11 PM by Garlicguy » Logged

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2018, 05:29:31 AM »

Rough Pass - but stopping to polish things bit

Because I wear all of the hats for this project, I do a bit of a "rough pass" through stage design, and go back to polish up little by little later.

I added more detail, and changed some physics in "DED HILL". More background detail (stars, trees have more detail), Background props like the light posts. Ghosts feel more "ghostly". The falling statues land on the very bottom of the stage, and stay (instead of falling off the world) they can now also crush the Zombies...The Zombies moan in pain and there is a cartoony *SPLAT*.

I'll go back and ad more and more to each stage as I go. Paying extra attention to detail once every stage is complete.

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2018, 06:54:23 AM »

I love Crash Bandicoot so this should be cool! I like the list of characters in the first post, it reminds me of the zany characters in another TIG game, This Game Is Trash. Look that one up of you haven't seen it!

Following. Gomez

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2018, 09:22:12 AM »

Thanks bro!  Beer!

I have actually seen “This Game is trash”. The Claymation art style is really cool too!
——

Chapter 4 -Progress

I’ve completed Act 1 of chapter 4. I even added a fun little mini boss at the end inspired by Whispy Wood.

Act 2 will take place inside the Spooky building you see when you first start the chapter.

I’ve been roughing a few things in my head and sketching. Act 2 will take strong insipration from Marble Zone from sonic 1 and the Clocktower stages from Castlevania.

Chapter 5 and Chapter 6

These are the last two chapters of the game.

Chapter 5 act 1 takes place in a Nuclear test town...or a “Nuke Town”. The stage will have no music...just wind...Rocco and Renwick will face one foe throughout the quiet landscape.

Act 2 of chapter five will take place on a paper pirate ship in the sky. I’ll use elements from “sky deck” from sonic adventure

Chapter 6 - Act 1 is a stealth mission through the presidents top secret arctic base. Heavy inspiration from Metal gear solid 1.

Act 2 is action packed and has heavy influence from Metal slug  and mega man.

Side missions

Once’s the main story is done I will add little side missions to pad out the game. Most will just be 1 off stages, bosses or mini games. Completing them affect the ending.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:28:32 AM by Garlicguy » Logged

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2018, 03:46:15 PM »

Chapter 4 Progress

Working on the inner castle/church/cathedreal section now. Each second act should add new mechanics I thought...So for this segment I've added big gears you can use to crush bad guys.

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2018, 05:22:57 AM »

Chapter 4 complete

My rough pass through chapter 4 is complete! The boss fight with Shoobee is a bout timing.

...on to chapter 5.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic