Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:12:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCodex (an RPG)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Codex (an RPG)  (Read 24852 times)
Kingel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: May 22, 2009, 02:09:14 PM »

I'm working on a turn-based RPG, just to combine some of the things I like doing (learning, writing, pixeling). I've spent the last few days editing my design documents (they're huge Cry), so I thought I'd start posting some of it.

I'm aiming for concise dialogue and fairly simple gameplay. It won't have leveling up, equippable items (apart from a very limited number of weapons for self defense), or long battles. The most elaborate elements will be the conversation and crafting systems. The conversation system (story, trading, assignments, reputation) should be kept fairly simple structurally. All minerals, herbs and recipes in the game will be factual. Alchemy will evolve into chemistry.

If you're a programmer and want to help, I'd appreciate it. Smiley

A mockup showing the graphics style I'm going for. No animations apart from a few effects here and there to indicate changes in inventory and such. I still need to figure out what to put next to reagent search under the player terrain portrait.

Backstory

Here's a condensed version of the world history. I've omitted the details surrounding the portal war, since I got tired of shortening it. I might post the rest later.

A scientific experiment brought "the energy" into the world. This energy transformed a group of humans into godlike beings who named themselves the Annáhi. The Annáhi split into two groups. The Dianéa wanted their relation with humanity to be peaceful and non-religious, whereas the Ademáhi claimed to be divine messengers. Contrary to the Ademáhian claims of divinity, it soon became known that the Annáhi could die of old age. Consequently, their following dwindled.

The Ademáhi responded by slaughtering followers of the Dianéa, who went to war against the Ademáhi. The Annáhi had learned to use their powers to annihilate each other. Everything caught in the crossfire was also destroyed. Vast regions were laid barren, and millions died before the last Ademáhi fell.

The Dianéan victors settled on the island of Andrica. They feared the world would not survive another Annáhian war, and wanted to prevent the reinvention of the energy gate. They banned any knowledge or possession of technology younger than a thousand years. Religious texts were also destroyed. Their powers allowed the Annáhi to curb the human anger, and their ability to relieve fear made people more willing to abandon their technology and religious beliefs.

The Annáhi feared that a new generation of Annáhi could betray them and bring back the Annáhian Ademáhi. They allowed themselves to breed with humans, however. The Annáhian powers were consequently diluted. The children of Annáhi and humans were named the Nahédi.

As the Ademáhian language had died with the Annáhian Ademáhi, the Annáhian Dianéa did not destroy the Ademáhian texts. Valan, a young Nahédi, deciphered these texts and gave rise to the Nahédian Ademáhi.

The Annáhi discovered how to open portals allowing for instant travel between towns. Portal construction consumed time and resources, and the number of Annáhi was decreasing. Eventually, it became too difficult for the remaining Annáhi to add more destinations to the portal hub.

After the death of the last Annáhi, controlling fear and anger was in the hands of the Nahédian Dianéa. The Ademáhi seized the chance to strike. This marked the beginning of the portal war.

The storyline

The storyline consists of the world's storyline and the player character's storyline.

The portal war, the world's storyline, affects the world visibly. The player character is not involved in the conflict, which means that it'll progress regardless of the player's actions. The details regarding these events will be shared with the player through conversations with NPCs.

Winter Riley, the player character, is a human and an alchemist's apprentice. Alden Atwell, her master, is obsessed with knowledge found in old books. Winter will be sent to gather these books, along with ingredients for Alden's experiments. They'll find ways to discover the effects and applications of the chemicals they discover (for instance, by experimenting on the poor?).

The world

The world will be fairly limited in size, and there will only be a handful of wild species.

The world map so far. A rough estimate of the game world to the right, shown at about 1/3 of the actual size, where one pixel is one tile. Portals are marked with cyan.

Travel via portals is instant, and each portal will take the player to any other portal. The player will also have an amulet, which can be used at any time for summoning to a predetermined portal.

The map will be divided into three detail levels, with separate maps for towns and houses. One tile in the world map will correspond to nine town tiles, and one town tile will correspond to nine house tiles. Travel across the world map will seem shorter to the player, but more time will pass per turn.

Inhabitants

Humans are the least powerful of the inhabitants. They benefit more from stimulants, but are more prone to addiction. They're also more vulnerable to neurotoxins. Humans are in some ways more free than the other races. As they are more numerous, only a fraction of humans are required to enlist.

Nahédi possess the power to manipulate the minds of other creatures, amplifying or dampening emotions. As the energy can fully regenerate their bodies, the Nahédi are invulnerable, but die from old age. Neutral Nahédi have faint white auras.

Nahédian Dianéa are Nahédi who enhance their sense of empathy to aid humans. They believe censorship is for the good of humanity. The Dianéa have brilliant white auras.

A concept sketch of a Nahédian Dianéa.

Nahédian Ademáhi are Nahédi who suppress their sense of empathy to better use their powers as a weapon. The Ademáhi have dark blue auras.

Naváni are the children of Nahédi and humans. Naváni resurrectionists can restore the bodies of the recently dead. Naváni summoners can summon creatures through a town portal. They sell amulets to summon people on request or upon death, after which resurrectionists will resurrect them. There's a great demand for Naváni soldiers, which means that their training must be swift. Humans are resurrected with reduced cognitive function and altered creatures are left roaming populated areas. For these reasons, Naváni are not popular among humans. Their auras are visible around their heads.

Altered creatures lack the mental capacity to manipulate the energy. As animals and plants can't modify the energy, the energy modifies them.

Factions

The Covenant is an alliance between the Dianéa, Naváni and humans.

The Crown is an alliance between the Ademáhi, Naváni and humans. They offer freedom of religion and technology.

The Iron Wing is a group of Ademáhi opposed to the alliance with humans and Naváni

Gameplay

The player inventory is somewhat limited, but items can also be stored in cabinets, etc.

Herbs and minerals will only be visible with knowledge gained by talking to people or reading books, unless you're buying them from a merchant. Minerals can be sold to make money, which can be used to buy other items instead of gathering them.

Winter's journal will keep track of conversations, known herbs and minerals, recipes, and other relevant information.

The attributes will generally range from 1 to 10.

Health indicates overall physical condition.
Energy is an attribute of Naváni and Nahédi.
Concentration is required to follow recipes.
Fortitude reduces anxiety.
Sensitivity increases pain.
Pain effects vary with level.
Anxiety reduces concentration. Additional effects vary with level.

Let me know if there's something you'd like me to elaborate on. Smiley

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 02:17:17 PM »

Hey Arachne! Looks good so far. As I said on MSN, I love love love the texture in the wood 'portrait'.

Looks like you added a lot since I saw the design doc (she's right, it was huge even then, when only 1/8 or so sections were filled out WTF)

PS if you hit that sword icon beneath Alden's portrait, will you beat the shit out of him? Well, hello there!

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Kingel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 02:55:53 PM »

Thanks. Smiley

Looks like you added a lot since I saw the design doc (she's right, it was huge even then, when only 1/8 or so sections were filled out WTF)

Yeah, I think I'll have to try harder to condense it. Hopefully, it's getting easier to read, if not shorter.

PS if you hit that sword icon beneath Alden's portrait, will you beat the shit out of him? Well, hello there!

I'm not sure how that'll work yet. I'm reluctant to restrict the player from attacking friendly NPCs, but I might have to. The way I see it, the alternatives would either seem very strange (no consequences), very annoying (too dire consequences), get in the way of the story, or be too complicated. Sad

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 05:44:04 PM »

Nice style, I didn't read all the text, but I like the symbolic perspective of what I imagine is the playing area in the center. Good luck.
And, at last , a RPG that will let me play a plank of wood!

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 01:57:09 AM »

Interesting! Seems like you have a really solid philosophy behind the world and the story. Nice Amiga-ish look too Smiley

I was wondering about how movement/travel would work as presented in the first pic, but the "Travel" explains it. Sounds like a good plan.

I find I have not much patience for reading lots of text in games - which is weird, as I love Planescape. Maybe it's all about how things are revealed, and allowing the player to dig into the detailed world/backstory stuff under their own initiative?

(Minor point on the text: Since its a big fundamental thing, but with a generic name, should "energy" be capitalised, i.e. the Energy? By anology with "God"/"god")

Kingel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 12:07:15 AM »

Glad to hear you like it so far. Smiley

And, at last , a RPG that will let me play a plank of wood!

Hee hee.

I find I have not much patience for reading lots of text in games - which is weird, as I love Planescape. Maybe it's all about how things are revealed, and allowing the player to dig into the detailed world/backstory stuff under their own initiative?

Yeah, I agree. I tend to have a fairly short attention-span, so I dislike huge chunks of text and redundancies. I'm hoping that revealing the details through conversation, while keeping it brief, will divide it up into more manageable bits. Talking to NPCs is not required, except in the case of Alden and a merchant or two, so I'm hoping curiosity will suffice as an incentive.

(Minor point on the text: Since its a big fundamental thing, but with a generic name, should "energy" be capitalised, i.e. the Energy? By anology with "God"/"god")

Yeah, I think that's a good idea.

Shires

From north to south: Wuldor, Selshire (Covenant), Avenlot (Crown), Southerland.

Alden lives in Elmgard, the shire town of Wuldor. The other shire towns are Silvereld, Nottcastle and Ornsend.

Backstory part 2

The Ademáhi took control of Avenlot. In response to the Ademáhian coup, the Dianéa allied with humans and Naváni to form the Covenant. Wuldor and Southerland agreed to join the Covenant to aid Selshire with supplies.

When Valan Ademáhi died, the Ademáhian confederacy was thrown into disarray. The Ademáhi had to ally with humans and Naváni to hold their ground. As humans were held in low regard among the Ademáhi, a group of Ademáhi left the Crown to form the Iron Wing. This allowed the Covenant to push the Crown further south. However, the Crown forced Wuldor and Southerland to leave the Covenant. The weakening of both sides led to a standstill in the conflict.

Kaylan Ademáhi, the son of Valan Ademáhi, became the first Ademáhi to defect to the Dianéa. His energy became unstable, and his personality split into Kaylan Dianéa and Kaylan Ademáhi. His inability to control his malevolent side lead to his incarceration as Kaylan Amanéa, Kaylan the conflicted.

The Nahédian Dianéa lacked the power to maintain the Annáhian censorship, and the rebirth of the Ademáhi kindled an interest in old knowledge. Expeditions ventured into the desert and brought back a small number of artifacts from the old world. However, the presence of altered creatures prevented further exploration.

The last two paragraphs form the basis for all major events during the course of the game.

The storyline part 2

The Crown has seen what Kaylan as Ademáhi is cabable of. Since his empathetic side is fully separated as Kaylan Dianéa, his Ademáhian side is free of conscience.

1) The Crown launches an attack on the Silvereld portal to divert attention from Kaylan Amanéa's prison. The Crown successfully retrieves him and withdraws from Silvereld.

2) Once his personalities have been separated physically, Kaylan Ademáhi is made leader of the Crown. The Covenant prepares for an escalation of the conflict.

3) Civilians are evacuated from Silvereld as the Covenant struggles to hold the Silvereld portal. Refugee camps are built in neutral territories. All Nahédi and Naváni are required to report for duty.

4) Silvereld is captured by the Crown.

5) Kaylan Dianéa succeeds in killing his Ademáhian counterpart. The sudden death of their leader is a big blow to the Crown, and the Covenant reclaims Silvereld.

A) Winter and Alden discover a weapon against the altered creatures.

B) Winter and Alden are commended for their discovery before the Silvereld council. (The idea is to provide access to NPCs with detailed knowledge of recent events.)

Gameplay part 2

Reputation might be divided into shire reputation and faction reputation, but I'm not sure how complicated I want to make it yet. If the player can treat NPCs with disrespect, it should have consequences of some kind. I also want to use it to determine what Alden will teach you. If you do a good job, he'll teach you new things sooner.

Crafting will potentially be the most tedious part of the game. In order to make higher level recipes less time-consuming, Alden will store lower level reagents in his cabinets. However, he should disapprove if the player sells all his reagents to a merchant. I also want to avoid having too many reagents of marginal versatility.

Recipes will be simple in structure. Complex recipes need to yield chemicals of relative worth. I would also like to have alternative recipes for frequently used chemicals, but this might be too much work and crowd the recipe list.

I haven't gotten to reagent ratios yet, but this is my recipe format so far.

Mercury
Recipe: Cinnabar, Empty vial
Tile: Furnace
Concentration: 1

To make a recipe, the ingredients must be placed in the inventory of the appropriate tile. The simplest recipes have no such requirement. There will be icons in the journal for making simple recipes, and also for easily moving ingredients from the player inventory to a tile.

ChevyRay
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 12:54:21 AM »

Aw, I think I just soiled myself. I used to love games like this when I was younger.

First off, though, the text in the middle-bottom box is a bit hard to read? I like the font, though, and it fits the theme, but perhaps whitening it a bit would make it a bit more legible.

The inventory with the 16x16 icon items is very cool. The overall display is very nice and iconic, actually; it doesn't look overwhelming, which happens with a lot of games like this. I can almost figure out how to play just from that screenshot.

Great stuff! I'll be following this. Your world sounds very detailed and thought out Grin
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 07:26:35 AM »

I can almost figure out how to play just from that screenshot.
Yeah you know a game is good when you can start playing it in your mind from a screenshot.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Kingel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 04:14:31 AM »

First off, though, the text in the middle-bottom box is a bit hard to read?

Oh, you're right. Thanks.

The text should be a bit easier on the eyes now that it's less saturated, and it complements the bluish grays better, I think. I also replaced one of the herb icons with something less stylized, and made a search icon that hopefully reads better.

Dead character portrait.

UI

Options and exit icons are at the top.

The icons above the player tile and target tile show attack and defense bonuses given by terrain.

Effects are shown above the player and target NPC portraits. These effects can be beneficial (green) or harmful (red).

The two bars flanking the player and NPC portraits indicate energy and health levels.

Other icons include character info and weapons, reagent search, talk to, attack, unarmed, loot all, move to, use, map, skip turn, unknown item, journal ... add map note, teleport.

I'm not sure about the teleportation icon. It's the icon of the amulet of recall, the energy beacon, but nothing about it really says teleportation.

Inhabitants part 2

Wraiths are pure energy creatures, but their energy is insufficiently concentrated to be visible to humans. Much like Nahédi can manipulate human emotions, wraiths can induce fear in humans as a defense mechanism. They feed on free energy, but can't actively drain it. Since energy leaks from old and dying Nahédi, wraiths are drawn to them, and sudden eruptions of panic are thus taken as a sure sign of death.

Gameplay part 3

Ranged weapons cover tiles surrounding the player diagonally. Items in tile inventories viewed from this range are partially hidden, which means that their icons are replaced by question marks.

Melee weapons cover tiles surrounding the player horizontally and vertically. At this range, items will be visible and accessible in tile inventories.

Navánian effects are applied by touch. This is melee range, but with a defense penalty.

Terrain bonuses will be calculated from terrain type and surrounding tiles. Low defense bonuses of neighboring tiles add to the attack bonus of the tile. If the defense bonus is high in surrounding tiles, the attack bonus will be reduced. Inaccessible tiles could also be taken into account. An attacker could be given attack bonuses if the defender's escape routes are blocked, for instance.

For each tile, you can add map notes. These locations will be marked on the map in winter's journal.

Clicking the reagent search icon in order to find herbs and minerals won't always be necessary. Tiles with a high likelihood of containing an herb or mineral will often have some of these items visible in their inventory already (given that there's an entry for them in the journal). If these tiles are searched, they might yield more of the same items. If the player doesn't search them (but loots what's visible), the items contained will continue to have a small chance of being visible after some time has passed (less time than between removal and respawn).

Minerals will often have multiple uses (gemstones or carving materials, pigments, ores, materials for tool making, or fluxes). Winter will only be interested in their uses as reagents, so other purposes serve only to indicate potential buyers.

My list so far includes galena, milky quartz, niter, limestone, sphalerite, tinstone, native silver ore, obsidian, fluorspar, native copper ore, copperas, fluorapatite, sulfur crystals, native gold ore, hematite, cinnabar, malachite, emerald, azurite, lapis lazuli, sapphire, amethyst, ruby, topaz, jasper, opal, aquamarine, and diamond.

Not quite happy with all of them yet, and I've redrawn a lot of them since I started.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 04:27:47 AM by Arachne » Logged

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 04:50:01 AM »

Ah, so detailed! Sounds marvellous - games like this are far and few between, and to see one with such forethought AND detailed art? It's nice.

Just a quick thumbs-up, really. I don't have much else to say other than it's something I'd love to see completed.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 05:17:00 AM »

Most interesting, hope you get a coder.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 08:53:27 AM »

Realistic pixel minerals!!  Crazy Kiss

The rest is sounding good too.  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 10:53:13 AM »

Wowowow, this is fantastic work so far - it sounds very involved, which is great.  I love the large tiles and overall aesthetic.

I don't think you should have a hard time finding a coder, but good luck, anyway!  I want to play this one!
ChevyRay
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 01:42:12 PM »

Text is much better now Smiley

Oh man, having the skull of your fallen comrade just follow you arounds gives me the shivers :D great graphic, though.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 04:04:16 PM »

I don't think the "unarmed" icon reads very well?

The rest is looking awesome though.

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 05:09:16 AM »

Wow, this looks fantastic. Want to team up? I'm a C++ programmer. PM me if you're interested. Either that or catch me on IRC.

I like turtles.
Kingel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 12:46:10 PM »

Thanks, guys! Grin Snakey is coding, so it's looking good.

I don't think the "unarmed" icon reads very well?

Unlike the use icon, I was using my hand as reference from the start, so I was probably focusing more on getting it to look like my hand than making it readable. I'll keep experimenting. Smiley

Backstory pt 3

Timeline

0 - The Annáhian war
46 - The Silvereld portal is constructed
51 - Portals become a limited resource
54 - The Nahédian Ademáhi arise
65 - The last Annáhi dies
89 - The Ademáhian coup
89 - The Covenant is formed
99 - Wuldor and Southerland join the Covenant
100 - Valan Ademáhi dies
101 - The Crown is formed
101 - The Iron Wing is formed
101 - The battle of Elding
105 - Wuldor and Southerland leave the Covenant
106 - Ranáti Dianéa is made leader of the Covenant
113 - Kaylan Dianéa joins the Covenant
126 - Present

Characters

Alden Atwell (71) is the son of a grocer. From a young age, he took an interest in chemical reactions, and he often used his father's goods for experiments. When his father died, Alden left running the store to his younger brother, and got an apprenticeship under an alchemist. He later found the methods of the alchemists' guild lacking, and sought a more systematic approach. When the first artifacts were brought back from the desert, he realized there could be knowledge left from the old world not recognized for what it was.

Winter Riley (25) was orphaned in the battle of Elding. She grew up in an orphanage in Silvereld and was later adopted by a farmer, but was treated more like free labor than a family member. After the death of her adoptive parents, the farm was passed on to a relative who sold the farm. Winter recieved a small share of the sale price out of pity and moved to Elmgard to get an apprenticeship.

Kaylan Amanéa (59) is the son of Valan Ademáhi, founder of the Crown. Kaylan trained to become Ademáhi out of fear of his father. After his father's death, he had difficulties keeping his Ademáhian side in check, and withdrew from the world. He was later captured by the Covenant, as all Nahédi are presumed combatants.

Ranáti Dianéa (44) is the head of state of Selshire and leader of the Covenant. She fought in the battle of Elding, where she was captured by the Crown. She was later released in a prisoner exchange, and her experience fueled her desire to lead the Covenant and destroy the Ademáhi. She restricted the military from influencing the Silvereld council.

Ranáti pitied Kaylan and decided to teach him Dianéan skills despite protests from the council. As he progressed, the protests lessened. He completed his training and was accepted into the ranks of the Covenant. That night, his suppressed Ademáhian side took control, now completely separated from his empathetic side and thus strengthened. He kidnapped Ranáti and tortured her. Ranáti managed to escape when his Dianéan side started regained control. He returned to Silvereld to ask to be imprisoned. These events combined with past trauma weakened Ranáti's mental health considerably.

General Fletcher Kennard
(56) leads the Covenant army. He initially agreed to the separation of state and military, but Ranáti's deteriorating health has led Selshire to grow more authoritarian. Kennard is the highest ranking human in Andrica, and the attention to his mortality has made him increasingly paranoid. He is never seen without resurrectionists at his side.

Brock Fenn (36) is the leader of a human rebel group who believe that the Nahédi are an infestation. Fenn's followers believe that humans allied with Nahédi are traitors to the human race, as are those who choose to remain neutral for not actively opposing the Nahédi.

Osmund the Forester (42) lives in Wuldor, south of Elmgard. He owns an altered wolf named Fenris and is the only Andrican who has successfully tamed an altered creature. His right hand is missing three fingers, leaving only thumb and index finger.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 12:57:19 PM »

Yes!  After seeing what Snakey did with BQEd, I think he's the right man for the job.  Good luck, you guys!
Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 03:27:01 PM »

Yes!  After seeing what Snakey did with BQEd, I think he's the right man for the job.
Awww, now your making me blush!

Progress is going pretty good on the code base, but I won't say much more until I have something substantial to write about.

Good luck, you guys!
Thanks!

I like turtles.
ChevyRay
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 03:51:41 PM »

Yes!  After seeing what Snakey did with BQEd, I think he's the right man for the job.  Good luck, you guys!
Seconded.

Radradrad. All you gotta do is post something cool and go Beg and sooner or later somebody talented will step up to the plate Smiley I love this place.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic