Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:31:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBattleships Forever | Tactical Space RTS
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Battleships Forever | Tactical Space RTS  (Read 9111 times)
th15
Level 0

-

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2007, 08:52:46 PM »

Battleships Forever
Download it here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/bfdownload.php

Let's begin with the screenshots! Click on the thumbnails for full sized pictures.
Battleships Forever is inspired by and loosely based on Warning Forever by Hikoza.T.Ohkubo

A formation of Deflector equipped ships repel Alien attacks

A Cronus deploys its Flux Projector. This creates a shield that stops projectiles that you can draw to form any shape you want.

A pair of Hestia Alphas take out an enemy ship, Boom!

Gravbeam gameplay video - Short clip of me flinging stuff around with the Gravbeam module.

Description
Dismantle your enemies piece by piece in this intense Tactical RTS game. Build your fleet from 18 playable ships or construct your own battles in the Sandbox, you can even design your own ships with the ShipMaker tool that is included.

Ships are extremely detailed, each turret is individually articulated and part of the ship's hull can be destroyed individually. There are no arbitrary "to-hit" values in Battleships Forever, everything really occurs on the playing field.

Annihilate your enemies with innovative weapons such as the Teller Torpedo that launches a missile that follows a path that you draw out and fires a laser beam at the enemy. Another weapon is the Flux Projector that creates a defensive shield in any shape you choose!

Ships are also equipped with active point defences such as Flak and Particle Guns that shoot down incoming projectiles. Deploying your fleet to maximize defensive fire and minimize exposure to vulnerable sections is paramount!

Compete for the best high scores on the global online high scores.

Take command with a complete interface system that includes formation movement, waypoints, multiple AI settings (Normal, Flanking and Broadside!) and a smooth move-and-face-to order system.

Project Status
BETA TESTING/DEVELOPMENT

Title: Battleships Forever
Genre/Category: Tactical Real Time Strategy
File Size: ~11mb
Game File-Type: Installer (Zip version here)
Change Resolution: Yes(Can be changed in options or with alt-enter)
Full Screen: Yes(Can be changed in options or with alt-enter)
Game Resolution: 1024x768

Recommended System Requirements
Win98 or later
128mb Graphics Card
512mb of RAM
Intel Pentium 2ghz and equivalent

Minimum System Requirements (No surfaces mode)
Win98 or later
64mb Graphics Card
256mb of RAM
Intel Pentium 1.5ghz and equivalent

The game is currently in the final stages of development. I'm just tidying up loose ends, fixing the highscore backend and such right now. The next version will probably be the last version with significant gameplay changes. After that it's just content generation. I'd really appreciate feedback on all aspects of the gameplay, even small issues. Be my guest to nitpick this to your delight. I especially need feedback on play balance and difficulty. If you get stuck in any of the career missions then it's my fault if the objectives aren't clear or the mission is bugged. I need to fix these issues. So, enjoy the game guys Smiley
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 08:33:23 PM by th15 » Logged

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 03:31:22 AM »

My main problems with this were that I had strategies in mind that I found really difficult to deploy because of the interface vs. speed of the game.

I'll try and give it another play soon because I've forgotten the details of what bothered me.

As I said on the front page though, it's already a great game.

Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 12:34:27 PM »

I agree with what Haowan said. Some way to pause or slow down the action so you can give orders to your ships would be nice. (Weird Worlds did a similar thing)

Still a really fun game, though.
th15
Level 0

-

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 10:15:15 PM »

The Game Maker engine really doesn't work with you pausing the game. You really have to bend over backwards for that functionality.

Battleships Forever was initially quite a slow game. Slow enough for you to manually target Deflectors and angle your ship so that you never take any damage. That was just way too slow though, the game gets boring. I might make the game a little bit slower than it currently is though.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 10:24:27 PM »

IT DON'T WORK.
"Failed to initialize drawing surfaces. Please check that your graphics card meets the minimum requirements and that your drivers are up-to-date. If your graphics card has little memory, try switching to a lower resolution."

My computer ees a
NVidia Geforce 6600
Windows XP SP2
It does not have the latest drivers for the graphics card, but that's because the newest drivers cause my computer to randomly crash.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 11:47:17 PM »

Freakin' hell, that is SWEET.

So awesome :D Graphically, gameplaywise, even the sound was sweet.

Awesome work.

My computer apparantly couldn't handle the surfaces (I've done Game Maker games with surfaces before though, but then again not very big ones. My video card is built-in) and it threw a pile of errors at me the first time, but I closed it and tried again, and it's incredible! The way everything moves, and the control depth you have over your guys (I could make them circle-strafe! Wow!) and the way stuff blew up... oh wow.

edit:
NOOOOO!! It's only a demooooo!!

Oh man you have to finish this D: this is quite possibly one of my favourite RTS games of all time. If this was online that would totally kick ass, but I realise how hard that is.

I played on easy, because I'm not an exceptional gamer (I'm usually 'pretty good' at a game by default, but it's very, very rarely that a game will actually absorb me. And I mean, I'm the type of person who gets bored of stuff like God of War after playing for 10 minutes. This game has me begging for more, and that in itself is a huge accomplishment!) and it was perfect. It left me feeling like I was pretty good at the game, and kept me winning. I hate it when 'easy' doesn't mean easy.

I noticed one enemy ship avoiding the hell out of me, and he flew into a rock. That was pretty funny.

The campaign feels really short at the moment. Short, but so, so sweet. Might be because it's a WIP, might be because it's hard to put in a lot of levels, but it did feel a little short.

Oh, and I can't friggin' believe how smooth that ran on my computer. Wow. And everything was so detailed, too. Little floating particles in the background, moving stuff everywhere. Totally immersive.

Oh, and the interface was surprisingly intuitive. From the screenshots, I had been avoiding this game, to be honest, because I thought it would be a bitch to control, like most games that have such detailed ship components or whatever... but the great thing about this game is that you can just point your whole ship somewhere and tell 'em to move and the guns'll sort themselves out. Great AI on that.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 03:04:33 AM by Radnom » Logged

Kairos
Level 0

Explode

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 05:04:33 PM »

I played this a while ago at the GMC. Great stuff. If I get the time I'll try to play it again. Even though I suck horribly at RTS games, this is one amazing piece of work for a GM game. Oh, and I absolutely love abstract graphics  Grin

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 09:20:43 PM »

Played a lot of it today. I must say that the game is actually very impressive. The ammount of detail each ship can have is great, as is the number of strategies you can use, especially since you're so limited in how many ships you can bring into battle. A great variety of different weapons and unique abilities for your ships, most of them being quite unique from eachother.

It's in times like these that I wish more GM games had multiplayer. First Magi now this. A game like this is just begging for it, even if just one on one. Maybe you'll add it eventually. I'd certainly recommend it.

The presentation of it is great, though it did run a bit slow in my machine. The music is pretty sweet and that sound effects gives each explosion a proper punch.

Since you're obviously actively developing it, you might want Guert to Grind it. Tongue

Will it be freeware or commercial?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Kairos
Level 0

Explode

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 02:40:43 AM »

It's in times like these that I wish more GM games had multiplayer. First Magi now this. A game like this is just begging for it, even if just one on one. Maybe you'll add it eventually. I'd certainly recommend it.

Frankly, I've only seen one or two somewhat successful GM games with multiplayer. With a game of this scope, there's a lot to worry about. If I remember correctly, th15 wasn't interested in it anyway.

th15
Level 0

-

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 11:56:16 PM »

Inane: Could you try downloading and running this game: http://www.wyrdysm.com/testgame.zip
It's a blank game made with Game Maker. It's to test if you can run any Game Maker games at all. One of the things that might cause a failure to run like that is that your computer has run out of RAM/VRAM for the game. This can be caused by your computer just coming back from hibernation. The other possibility is that your version of Directx is not up to date, but that's unlikely in this case.

Radnom: Yeap, there's a 2048x2048 surface in the game and most graphics cards can't handle textures that large. That's why it has an alternate mode where it works without this surface. Your beams don't look as purty though Smiley

As for content, I'm afraid that yes the game will be a little lean on Career missions. The main guts of the game is meant to be the skirmish modes with their online highscores. The career is designed to teach players how to play the game properly and it will lead you through all of the concepts of the game. Basically, it takes WAY too long to create single player content when it's just one person doing everything. The Stronghold mission (the latest one) took me like 15 hours to script. For about 15 minutes, at most, of playtime. That's a crazy creation time > play time ratio.

And, honestly, the storyline isn't the most compelling either, I discovered that writing for games is a lot harder than it looks Sad

Glad you liked the control scheme and the effects, worked very hard on those two elements. The game was originally designed to be a really hard-core ship sim where you had minute control over everything. The design evolved from there but the basics are still there (for example, you can individually order turrets to hold fire or to target specific enemies).

This will be a completely free game. It's just something I've done for fun and for my portfolio. The game is pretty heavy on the system for a 2d game. It uses about as much ram as WC3 and will tax your CPU pretty hard. I've optimized things as best I could (you wouldn't believe all of the hacks and bits that I've fudged to get this running) but I am working with Game Maker after all. From the start I decided to push the limits of performance in order to get the game to look fantastic. This game was built to be played on dual-core systems with PCIE level gfx cards.

As for multiplayer, I sorely wish that I could add multiplayer to the game. However I'm absolutely useless at network coding. I don't actually have any background in programming, I'm self-taught (I'm currently taking a degree in Computer Science to fix this though). So I know that multiplayer is just one of the thing's I can't do properly yet. I could try but it would be terrible so I just won't. Believe me I like multiplayer games more than anything else (I don't even play the single player portions of games any more). Multiplay will be a central feature of any sequel I make for the game, but I'll do that when I'm able to.

Anyways, glad you guys enjoyed the game. I'm currently a little concerned about the pacing of the game. Some players say that the game is too slow, some feel that it's too fast. What are your thoughts on this issue?

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 12:04:30 AM »

I thought the pacing was actually just right.Gave me enough time to think, but didn't get boring waiting for things to happen.

Sometimes I'd get frustrated that my damn ship just won't turn fast enough, but that's just the ship Tongue

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 12:20:32 PM »

The other possibility is that your version of Directx is not up to date, but that's unlikely in this case.
Holy fuck, I thought that was like, the third thing I did after formatting my hard drive.
Working now, and it's awesome. Though, a lot of the things are awkwardly written. (You don't have to tell me that one guy's second ship is now a formidable opponent, I can tell by looking at it and fighting it)

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
th15
Level 0

-

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 12:33:39 PM »

Aside from that are there other things in the dialogue that you think I should change? Yes I know it's very very stilted at times but, well, I just don't know what to do.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 12:42:07 PM »

You don't happen to have the script online somewhere, do you?
It would make critiquing it a lot easier. Wink

th15
Level 0

-

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 09:39:14 AM »

Hmm, I've been thinking of reworking some the missions anyways, I guess I'll get the script down into a file and put it up soon. Anyways...

New Version Released!
Download it here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforever/BFFullInstallerv80.exe
Vista installer here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforever/BFFullInstallerv80Vista.exe

Alternate mirror:
http://www.victorygames.info/bf/BFFullInstallerv80.exe
Alternate mirror for Vista Installer: http://www.victorygames.info/bf/BFFullInstallerv80Vista.exe

The biggest change in this version is that there is now a Misc button in Sandbox Mode. This little button allows you to perform actions that you were previously unable to such as placing terrain, spawning formations of ships (yes even that Peitho formation in Stronghold) and changing game settings.

Another new change is the way terrain works. The bigger, brighter asteroids will now block shots in the same way as debris. However, they will not hurt ships on contact and ships will pass harmlessly under them. Since this is still so new, I haven't applied to anywhere but the Grinder game mode (you can also spawn the asteroids in Sandbox) so if you want to see how they work, go play the Grinder.

Fixed a number of bugs, such as a bug in the shipmaker which caused ships to have the wrong depth in the game. If you have any ships that are like that, open up the blueprint (.sb2) file and re-save the ship. The problem will then be fixed. Finally, here's some screenies!

The new Misc button

Abusing the Misc button to spawn a massive meteor shower

Kamikaze mode and the result of a suicide attack

Full changelog found here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 09:42:04 AM by th15 » Logged

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 09:31:16 AM »

I'm downloading the game, I'll try to play soon. Looks quite interesting! Smiley
Later!

th15
Level 0

-

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 06:56:53 PM »

New Version Release
Get it here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/bfdownload.php

Just added a bunch of new stuff so I really need people to test it out. I need to submit another version of the game to the IGF again on 18 Dec so I would really appreciate it if you guys could test this thoroughly so I can deliver a smooth product.

Two big additions in this version. The Rorschach Resistor and the Eos Battleship. The Rorschach resistor is a module that launches a pod that generates a beam-bending field. It works much the same way as the Teller, but instead of firing a beam it bends beams away from it. It is mounted on the Eos Battleship which is a new stand-off Battleship.

There's a few other changes, mainly in the way interception works. Railguns are now interceptable, Rail shots, Demeters, Tachyons, Tellers and Rorschach are all part of a category of bullets that are "hard" to intercept. They only have a 24% chance of being destroyed when hit by point defence.

I've been messing a little with the sounds so some of the menu sounds are missing at the moment. I also rearranged the fleet selection menu so don't be alarmed. Oh yea, the Rorschach isn't in the shipmaker yet either. I'll get around to that soon.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 08:38:11 PM »

Dude, these new screens look awesome!

I really need to get the new version...

Finals have been going on so I've been pretty busy lately...I think I have the build from like a few weeks ago.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 02:47:19 PM »

Alright, I finaly got to sit down and play Battleship forever!

At this point of the game, I don't have alot of comments since it has something good going on. This doesn't mean that I will not grind the game soon-ish (I hope) but rather that those are rough comments based on only a few hours of gameplay.

The comments are somewhat random...

-Since most pop-up hints are long, it may be a good idea to put them in a fixed box somehwere on the screens. It's not a major issue but the hints usualy cover up more than one option when they are displayed on the screen.

-Always confirm an exit, even when clicking on the "Exit" button of the menu. I think the confirmation is there in most cases but it's not on exiting from the main menu

-It would be fun to have a button to exit the read-me file accessed through the game since it's the only menu page you can't go back by clicking on something.

-The pop-up windows (like exiting confirmation) are rather timid compared to the other menus. They are smaller and use a simple font. Also the buttons are some what small compared to the othe rbuttons found in the game. It would be a good idea to make those pop-up windows look more imposing since they feature importnat messages.

-The mission select screen needs a title so we know what we are choosing. Are we choosing a map? A type of game? A campaign? A race? This has to be clear for the player and a title will do the trick.

-The unselectable ships in the ship selection screen would need to be alot more greyed out. I find the colors of the "locked" ships still too bright for something unaccessible.

-A nice add-on that has nothing to do with gameplay. A nice intro of the game would be nice since when we start the game, we go straight into the main menu. A splash screen with the game or creator logo or a small animation would be a good way to smoothly bring the player inside the game. Or perhaps it could be a fullscreen loading screen. As I said, this is optional since it doesn't affect gameplay and it already works

-It would be a good idea to add one or two more tutorial campaign and make the tutorial slighlty more slow-paced so the player can truly grasp everything you throw at him. Right now, I feel like the game is trying to tell the player too much stuff at the same time within a very short time period. Since this is a technical game and there are alot of information to interprete, I don't think it would hurt the game to add one more step to it in order to allow the player to learn the basics.   

-Something has been bothering me for a while. Why do the ships get unselected when we click in space? I can understand when clicking on debris or enemies but, clicking space shouldn't unselect something. It's easy to missclick and it becomes frustrating in times of stress.

-When the mission ends, it would be fun to have a clickable window so we could choose between "Keep playing" or "back to menu" instead of having to press a button. I feel like the game's main control is the mouse so focusing on using the mouse as much as possible would be a good idea.

-A bit of un researched nit picking... I feel like finding our own ships what somewhat annoying. Perhaps, if we don't have cases where we have too many ships, all ships could be indicated in the menu bar on the right so find your ship would simply double clicking on its icon in the bar. I'm not sure if this idea is clear enough, if not, I'll make up some images to show you what I mean.

-In general, I feel like the game is somewhat passive. I feel like, even when there is alot of action going on-screen, the player always has the same thing to do: select a ship, make it attack. in itself, this mechanic feels pretty complete. You can control alot of different aspects of the ship, some that I still don't completly understand but I haven't played that much either,  but besides that, I feel there's nothing more to support the mechanism. I believe the game would be enhanced if it featured more environment-based strategies: let the player use the elements around his ships to create new strategies.

I feel like, right now, is purely statistic based: one ship mixed with another will equal the highest chance of winning. I feel like there's not enough possibilities for the player besides the ship selection. I feel like adding more strategic elements to the game , like using the playground, upgrading ships in-game or change strategies during the game (such as changing ships or warping) could be interesting. As of now, I know the game allows the player to find new ships and be able to repair ships somehow when playing, but I think more elements would help. Right now, I have no inspiration but I can try to think of something if you don't understand what I mean.

In general, I think it would be a good idea to allow more user customization besides the ships. This would basicaly add alot of strategic elements which will allow alot more experimentation throughout the game.

All in all, I think the game has alot to offer but seems to focus on only one type of player. It's not bad in itself, I simply feel like the game could be more than what it is right now. I feel like I have alot of things to learn in the game but haven't been able to corretcly grasp every notions yet. Like, for instance, I can't figure out how to use the nano matrix to repair my ship. I try to use it but I can't see if I'm doing anything at all.

The game also offers many game modes which is great.

So that's pretty much it for now, I wish I'd have something more pertinent to say but I haven't had time to really play with the game yet.

Hope this helps a bit!
BTW, anyone who hasn't played this yet should give it a spin! Wink
Take care! 

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 04:44:30 PM »

The nanomatrix, from what I saw, repairs any damaged parts in the ship it's in automatically, albeit very gradually.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic