Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 02:04:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPolyroll! Insipired by early 90s PC platformers!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Polyroll! Insipired by early 90s PC platformers!  (Read 2501 times)
spicy gyro games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 11, 2018, 04:56:02 PM »

The 2nd of my two 2012 ios releases, is now in the process of getting the PC polish treatment that Clash Force got. These games were both much better fits for PC (or console) to begin with, so I'm finally getting them out there. Clash Force is already on Steam.

Here you can see some of the tweaks I'm making to the graphics.

Updated character sprite

Old

New - Although there's still a few tiles out of date that I see now!

Old

New
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 02:39:23 PM by spicy gyro games » Logged

Fridgecrisis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 07:33:52 PM »

Looking good! Nice crisp sprites. Although I'm having a bit of a tough time immediately distinguishing what's in the foreground and background. I wonder how it would look if the background elements were darkened or desaturated a bit.
spicy gyro games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 08:07:53 PM »

Ha! I bet you're mostly referring to the Dice Palace level. After taking that screen I actually did exactly that! Making those red and yellows pillars (and the diamond pattern) a bit more pastel and uncontrasty.

That was one of the reasons for the change between the ios screen and the PC screen you see. I made the pink blocks more into the purplish and away from the red to separate more from the red background elements. And the grey pattern in the back was simplified and de-contrasted a bit. Also found that by creating a roadway of sorts from those smaller dice greatly helps with the separation between bg and fg.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:13:17 PM by spicy gyro games » Logged

spicy gyro games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 04:12:57 PM »

Updated version, contrast doesn't look like a major change but makes a big difference in motion.

CandyFace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 11:10:05 AM »

I like the colorful palette you've chosen, although I agree with Fridgecrisis that the background is hard to distinguish from the foreground.
The new character sprite is definitely better but it could still use a bit more volume. Here's an example of what you could do to make it a bit more interesting:
I've darkened your red/purple shading color a bit more, then cleaned up color placement and added some basic lighting. I wasn't sure where you wanted to go with the hair shading, so I left some of it out. You're welcome to do whatever with the sprite  Coffee

Looking forward to read more about this Wink
spicy gyro games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 02:39:10 PM »

Yeah, I actually played with additional shading on the face and have gone back and forth. That's actually his shell hence the dividing lines.

spicy gyro games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 08:24:32 PM »

We've put up a "Shareware" Demo of the game available through our 90s chic site!

http://shinydolphin.com/sage/

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic