Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:43:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs= Space Punk Slam Dunk =
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: = Space Punk Slam Dunk =  (Read 17378 times)
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2018, 03:30:45 PM »

Sorry again for the radio silence, I've been more busy than I anticipated. There's again not going to be an update this week, but I'll try to have something ready for the next.

Trixler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2018, 03:49:24 PM »

Great job on creating such an appealing character!
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2018, 08:36:32 PM »

Alright, I'm not good at keeping a devlog updated regularly, but I HAVE in fact been working on spsd this whole time, and guess what?

We're gonna be bringing the game to MAGFest's Indie Showcase event! Grin

I don't really have a super official announcement statement for this, but I want to say I'm super happy we get to do this and show the game at a real convention! I'm gonna work hard to make sure the game looks its best for January, and if any of you are going as well then keep an eye our for some Space Punks!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 01:52:00 AM »

How did I miss this?! Amazing. Kiss

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 05:46:34 PM »

Thanks! You probably missed it because I haven't been updating this devlog as much as I could have been :')

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2019, 04:06:40 PM »

Hey, so it’s been a while huh?

Sorry about the long time without any update. Writing these is always a little daunting for me, so I end up avoiding it most of the time. That being said, I didn’t decide to post here today just to address the lack of updates lately. I’m also posting here because, a few weeks ago, I traveled all the way to Washington DC to showcase Space Punk Slam Dunk as MAGFest, and I thought I’d do a little post-mortem of my preparations for the event!

First off, I had to prepare the booth. Due to some communication friction between the organisers and me (some of it my fault admittedly) I was a bit late to organize everything in time for the event. Most of the trouble I experience came from the fact that I didn’t know for sure how big our booth was going to be for a long time, so I had to wait until the very last minute to order our banners. Then, I also had to scrap our plans to distribute bookmarks and sell posters at the event since I couldn’t find a printing service that could deliver those in time (the place I ordered the banners from doesn’t do posters or bookmarks). So, in order to get everything together, I had to borrow banner stands from a previous employer of mine, cover the banners that were already embedded in them with shower curtains (I couldn’t simply remove them because they were encased in the stand itself) and I also had to tape our own banners directly on the shower curtains. I also ended up having to buy some tablecloths that didn’t match the game’s colors, so it was all very great. However, once the whole thing was put together at the event, I’d be lying if I said it didn’t look pretty good considering the deadline and the means I had (did I mention I had to fly all of that equipment in from Canada?)

Not too bad right?

Then, for how the actual event went. I have to say; the whole thing was an absolute blast! I got to meet up with rj irl which was super cool. I also got to know a few other developers who had him make music for their games. Those games are called Unbeatable and Impact Resonance btw, and they’re both pretty great. I also want to emphasize that rj was working on three different games that got showcased at MAGFest. I don’t think I’ve ever met a person as prolific as him, which I’m sure will come handy for other aspects of this game, like marketing and publishing.

Another major takeaway from the festival was the metric ton of feedback I was able to gather from people on how to improve the game. Watching this many people play what I had of a game from start to finish was an experience I’ll never forget, even if it was extremely tiring to man a booth for close to 7 hours straight. I honestly think we got out of there with a much more solid vision for this project, which speaks volumes about how important playtesting is to any game. I’ve already organized all the feedback we got into a Trello board, which I’ll be working off of with rj to keep track of what we need to do from now on.

Another thing that happened is that I stayed up until like 3 am on the second night of the event making changes to the game on the show floor, along with the Unbeatable team who was working on their own updated demo. I would not recommend doing that ever Smiley

The whole thing went relatively smoothly from then on though, and I was able to let the demo run almost autonomously on the 3rd and 4th day. Then, at the end of the fourth day, I packed up my stuff, got back on my plane to Canada, and made it home at about 1 am on the night before I started University again! The next day was not a productive on, let me tell you that.

But on a more serious note, the entire event was breathtaking. I’m sure I haven’t done it justice just by talking about it here, but I’ll remember everything that happened in those four days forever, and I honestly think it was a life altering experience. I know people don’t usually mention this sort of thing, but I’m also very thankful that the circumstances I live in allowed me to even go there. Traveling all the way to an event in a different country where I showcased something I’d been working on for about a year and a half was a gigantic privilege, and I’d feel ungrateful if I didn’t mention how much I appreciate that this is something I could do, especially when not everyone is as lucky as I was.

Anyway, to end this recap of my MAGFest experience, I’d like to post a little video playthrough of the demo version of the game that was playable at the event since I feel like I’ve kept you guys in the dark long enough about the state of the game. So, enjoy some freshly baked gameplay footage:

Anyway, thanks for reading, and hopefully these updates get posted with a bit more regularity. And who knows, maybe in a few months I’ll have even more to say about other events and such!

Cheers!

litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2019, 01:04:59 AM »

Both the booth and gameplay footage look good Hand Thumbs Up Right

Glad you got to experience showcasing your game like that. In my own experience showcasing in-development games at smaller local game-events has always been invaluable for getting some hands-on objective feedback. Just silently observing hundreds of strangers play your game speaks volumes.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2019, 01:02:37 AM »

Dang, I missed this update! Sounds like things turned out really well despite the initial issues. The booth did look great! So does the game, in the video! And sounds good too. Music by rj, then, I assume? Really cool to see new mechanics get introduced rapidly with each level—third one looks quite tricky already.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2019, 05:03:03 AM »

@litHermit
Thanks! It was very fulfilling to finally get a bunch of people to play it, and I'd do it over again in a heartbeat! I'm thinking of organizing a local gamedev meetup event when I get my school stuff sorted out.

@Prinsessa
Yep, it all went pretty well all things considered. rj is indeed making the music, but he's become a bigger part of the team over time and is now also working on mechanic and level design with me. I think I forgot to mention this earlier, but the banner art for the booth was also made by rj's partner!

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2019, 12:48:41 PM »

Hey, I know I haven't posted in a while, but I recently changed how grabbing the ball and jumping works. Since grabbing the ball is a manual action now instead of being automatic, you can grab the ball in midair and throw it immediately after. Since it doesn't really give you any more height than a normal ball jump, I think I'll leave it in!

Also, you used to have to hold down and press the throw button to do a ball jump, but I played Lyle in Cube Sector recently and it just lets you press the jump button to do the same thing, so I changed it to that, which will be especially better for people who use controllers.

Also rj apparently told me to do that a few months ago but I forgot... Embarrassed

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2019, 07:41:15 AM »

That looks so smooth!

Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2019, 12:00:57 PM »

Really cute! :D I love the main mechanic of using a basketball.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2019, 03:50:51 AM »

Thanks! I've been taking a hiatus from development for the last few months due to school and work, but I AM still slowly working on this!

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2019, 06:43:11 PM »

so am i, maybe?

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2019, 04:50:57 AM »

Hey all, small update; I've remade the enemy walk animation from scratch, here's what it looks like now!

The process involved blocking out the motion with a stick figure and then redoing the whole actual walk cycle by referencing it and the idle sprite.

In other words:

Plus Equals

With a few added details of course Wink

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2019, 05:00:56 AM »

So rhythmic! Are they moving to the music?

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2019, 05:09:42 AM »

No they're not, but that could be cool! I'll have to look into FMOD's docs to see if I can somehow base the animation speeds off of the bpm of a soundtrack or something. I expect that I'd have to map different ranges of each track to a bpm value manually, but if I can get the progress of a song as a float or something then it shouldn't be too hard to implement the rest of the system.

I'll also have to consult rj about it since he can usually come up with outside-the-box use cases for things like this.

Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2019, 10:23:10 PM »

Love that walk cycle haha, lots of character showin' through

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2019, 02:26:17 PM »

The basketball mechanic is super exciting! Can you move forward while bouncing the ball? like, could I use this to cross a pit? Can you hold more than one ball and double jump with them? haha sorry for interrogating you. The walk cycle is looking great btw.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2019, 02:43:03 PM »

@AwO

Thanks!

@diegzumillo

Thank you too! Yeah, you can throw basketballs while moving sideways, and you can indeed jump across pits that way. Fun fact, this was actually a big problem in the Magfest demo because I wasn't conveying the fact that this was possible super clearly, so a lot of people would get stuck in the same spot where you had to ball-jump across a giant pit of spikes. I hadn't thought about holding more than one ball, but maybe I'll consider it? That's definitely the kind of idea rj would push for lol

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic