Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:28:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCRON (WebGL) / spacegame-protoype (no login required)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: CRON (WebGL) / spacegame-protoype (no login required)  (Read 834 times)
Damocles
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2018, 03:44:02 AM »

Cron - conquering space ..

Cron is a personal game-project of mine, centered around exploration, trading, construction and fighting in a simulated galaxy.
The player will be able to do missions, trade in the galactic economy, upgrade the ships and explore a vast number of systems.

The project is in its early stages, but if you are interested, you can already test out an early prototype of how it may one day look and feel.

Prototype Demo:

WebGL:  Cron Demo

The demo is just a prototype to test some mechanics, and get some feedback on performance and technical issues in the browser environment.
I will update the demo from time to time, when new game mechanics are implemented.

There is not much more than flying around asteroids currently. (and maybe one or two little Easter-eggs if you like exploring)
Models and materials are placeholders, and I have turned off any fancy post-processing. (only shadows and a lonely lensflare)
The demo is testin only a single location in a system of many planets (in a universe of many systems) .. so its going to be way bigger than that :=

Controls:

(in short: Left-MB,Right-MB,W,S,Wheel)

Look: To freely turn the view around the ship, use the left mousebutton and drag.

Turn: To change the stearing, use the right mousebutton. The ship will turn towards the last position you have turned to with the right mouse button.

Speed: Accelerate with "W" and decelerate with "S". The speed is capped at 100 m/s currently.

Zoom: The scrollwheel will change the zoom.

RCS-Up/Down/Sideways:  use A and D for horizontal thrusters, and Q and E for vertical movement.

The controls are mapped in a way, that the cursor is always visible for the (not yet implemented) menu.

While mostly being a technical test, there are a few eastereggs to discover in this system, lets hear if you find one Wink

More Media

(Twitter) https://twitter.com/TheDamocles

Please let me know if you find any technical issues in this early prototype.
Developing for a browser environment has its own challenges (multiple issues with compatibility, size-restrictions and a lower graphical performance in general).

The game mechanics and features are far from being nailed down. So please let me know if you have any suggestions and ideas.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 04:39:03 AM »

Found out that piloting a spaceship in the barren void of space is quite cool. Seems good, albeit the ship speed if a bit slow, making the turning by mouse extremely fast by comparison.

Carry on, brave soul!

Yeah.
Damocles
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 04:41:27 AM »

Thanks for testing.

There will be a variety of ships and ship-agilities.

For a little distraction, try hitting space. Its launching a barrage of rockets (no target detection implemented yet)

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 06:04:29 AM »

I found a ship in the back of the huge asteriod.

Yeah.
Damocles
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 06:40:22 AM »

Yep, good find,
there are still a few more sites to discover.

Danibi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 10:49:00 PM »

Hi, it's cool.
Visual feedback for acceleration / deceleration would be needed.
The room is too wide-angle, it gives me a little trouble.
The performances are excellent.
Good job!

I\\\'m and indie developer.<br />My team is Fantastico Studio.<br />My preferred game is Landflix Odyssey!!  Smiley
Bober RS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 01:58:46 PM »

Two issues to report:
  • It is possible to penetrate through asteroid. You can easily get inside its collider by directing the ship perpendicularly towards it and maneuvering with W/A/D keys. It's also possible to pass through it without using A/D, just insistently rotating the camera.
  • I don't like the camera not being able to rotate 360 degrees in "vertical" direction (when you try to rotate your ship up or down moving your mouse vertically, it locks at some point and doesn't allow you to rotate further). For this reason I wasn't able to circle the asteroid by pitching the ship down. There are no global directions imposed in the space, so I see no reason for such mechanics.

Besides that, great work! Steering and graphics are satisfying even at this stage.
Eyon
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 06:29:45 AM »

Hello, I played on chrome and didn't manage to be able to move the ship.
I don't know if it's because my keyboard is AZERTY, or because the movements are slow.
=O

Mobile strategy game in the browser: https://eyon.itch.io/agentsxmonsters
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Eyon_Patrick
NeckBeardAficionado
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 08:51:14 AM »

Hello, I played on chrome and didn't manage to be able to move the ship.
I don't know if it's because my keyboard is AZERTY, or because the movements are slow.
=O

I was just about to say the same thing.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic