Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:27:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChromosome Evil - RTS & Horror
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29
Print
Author Topic: Chromosome Evil - RTS & Horror  (Read 115206 times)
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: September 26, 2020, 04:41:07 AM »

Hey any update on this?

I was told a new demo was up?

Yes, we had low activity lately because the programmer started doing optimization on code and I started working on a marketing plan(youtube lists, journalist list, streamer lists, schedule posts, and so on) and now the programmer start fixing the remaining bugs and I work on promotional material.

And yes we had an early alpha for our fans but the test sessions were private just for the people in our discord room.
There will be a new test session sometime this year

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: October 24, 2020, 08:55:33 AM »

Been a while since I updated this thread.
More tests and more tests ...
All my time is spent on tests, communication with the testers, and the day job. Also, I am preparing to release an old game on Nintendo Switch, unfortunately, this will not be the case for the current project since this one will be exclusive for PC

We reach alpha 0.5 on our Discord
Currently testing out a full squad of 6 characters

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2020, 04:56:10 AM »

Oh yea, army style war
Can you also do multiple units selection ?
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: October 29, 2020, 11:06:30 AM »

Oh yea, army style war
Can you also do multiple units selection ?

Selection with hotkeys and mouse click. No multiple units selection because that will cause pathfinding problems due to the fact that we have complex map architectures like in-door buildings and vast areas.

So some news, after more test sessions the results were good on the combat/explore gameplay, addictive & fun but bad on the travel map system so we had to change the design and start the main map travel concept from almost zero again.

Now there will be just one main road, during this main road there will be checkpoints with 1 scenario mission(not optional) and after you beat the scenario mission you will have access to the other location from that checkpoint(optional/grinding missions). Each time to move forward to the next checkpoint it will take 1 day, when day counter reaches 0 you will be at the final mission, and at this moment you better prey your squad is godlike

quiq mockup

Also a question for the designers

What is your opinion on healing: you want to be able to heal on a travel map even if you have no medic(this option will make thing easier but non-survival realistic + will make engineer class not so critical to have in squad) or only to be able to heal in the base and during combat, if you have an engineer in the squad (this will make thing harder but will increase the survival atmosphere + will make the medic class more critical to have at least 1 in the squad)?
Having the option to choose mode is not an option.

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 01, 2020, 11:55:29 AM »

Well if you want true horror you must increase sense of anxiety  and also to leave player to play with his own decizions not hold his hand, so i vote for the harder option to only be able to heal if player chooses to have a medic in squad
bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: November 23, 2020, 02:58:39 AM »

What is your opinion on healing: you want to be able to heal on a travel map even if you have no medic(this option will make thing easier but non-survival realistic + will make engineer class not so critical to have in squad) or only to be able to heal in the base and during combat, if you have an engineer in the squad (this will make thing harder but will increase the survival atmosphere + will make the medic class more critical to have at least 1 in the squad)?
Having the option to choose mode is not an option.

I believe that the bottom line is that having a medic in a team should be noticeable - whether it is about allowing to perform healing in general, or about making the healing more effective (consuming less resources, healing more HPs, etc.)

I always had issues with design where the player was only able to use healing actions inside combat. Example: Darkest Dungeon. Even if you had a healer in your team, the "heal" action was combat-only. This simply made no sense.

In Shardpunk I tried to work around it with introducing two different healing modes. The in-combat one is a quick one, using adrenaline syringes. It gives you a quick health boost which will then disperse after combat. Real healing takes place between combat, where meds and bandages can be used to restore hit points for real.

Busy working on xcom-like, steampunk/vermintide pixel art strategy game called "Shardpunk".

Devlog | Twitter | Webpage
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: November 23, 2020, 10:58:59 PM »

No multiple units selection because that will cause pathfinding problems due to the fact that we have complex map architectures like in-door buildings and vast areas.

Does not sound like a good reason not to do it... if it's slow you can split it up over multiple frames, or you will need to find a way to make it faster. If it makes the game more enjoyable it would be a shame not to allow the players to do so.

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: November 29, 2020, 11:48:28 AM »

Well if you want true horror you must increase sense of anxiety  and also to leave player to play with his own decizions not hold his hand, so i vote for the harder option to only be able to heal if player chooses to have a medic in squad

Yes, we went no healing if no medic

I believe that the bottom line is that having a medic in a team should be noticeable - whether it is about allowing to perform healing in general, or about making the healing more effective (consuming less resources, healing more HPs, etc.)

I always had issues with design where the player was only able to use healing actions inside combat. Example: Darkest Dungeon. Even if you had a healer in your team, the "heal" action was combat-only. This simply made no sense.

In Shardpunk I tried to work around it with introducing two different healing modes. The in-combat one is a quick one, using adrenaline syringes. It gives you a quick health boost which will then disperse after combat. Real healing takes place between combat, where meds and bandages can be used to restore hit points for real.

That is actually a very good idea, Darkest Dungeon mechanic increases the sense of survival/adventure by having healing only during combat, while Xcom concentrates on pure tactics and got healing outside of combat.
I think it counts what you aim at, deep survival or deep tactics. For your project yes, deep tactics are the better choice.

No multiple units selection because that will cause pathfinding problems due to the fact that we have complex map architectures like in-door buildings and vast areas.

Does not sound like a good reason not to do it... if it's slow you can split it up over multiple frames, or you will need to find a way to make it faster. If it makes the game more enjoyable it would be a shame not to allow the players to do so.

I don`t know any other specific details since I don't know to code but the programmer said it will cause too many problems on our custom engine. I will ask him again next week about this.

Thank you for all the CC guys !

-------------------------------------------------

Meantime.
We had a very critical BUG in our game.
Each time we play more than 7 maps(random maps not a specific map) the shadow layer disappears, then if we play more the wall layer disappears, and even the interface layer disappears(note that mechanics, colliders all that worked fine, just the visual part disappeared). We were in an insane mode because we would not find the source, the programmer(Sergey D.) optimized the code and searched for memory leaks but nothing made sense. And in order to be able to play again, we had to exit the game entirely and enter gain
And finally, he fixed it, this bug was from almost the beginning of development.
The solution was to remove the map editor from the game and create a separate exe for the editor.
In the future, we will need to decide if we polish the editor to include it in the full release or to add it later as DLC.
Opinions about editor release?

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 30, 2020, 06:19:58 AM »

That is good news, I am really curios how will you mix the rts with survival and mostly with horror.
I asume you still cannot say a release date?
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: December 04, 2020, 03:11:32 PM »

That is good news, I am really curios how will you mix the rts with survival and mostly with horror.
I asume you still cannot say a release date?

Unfortunately, I still do not know an exact date, I hope in March 2021 but no guarantees yet.

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: December 04, 2020, 03:33:16 PM »

Looks great! Evil Reduced palette is giving it very neat look.

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: December 05, 2020, 02:36:48 PM »

Looks great! Evil Reduced palette is giving it very neat look.

Thank you for your kind words.

I aim to have some sort of visual personality for it

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: December 09, 2020, 12:18:10 PM »

Just passing through, posting a screenshot from the new travel map system update, we implemented action points per day, still requires some small visual polish but it is mostly complete.

We also must decide on the research screen, currently, the new design contains 4 main tabs, skilldex, inventory, car workshop, and R&D + the standard travel map screen

hope you enjoy it!

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 12, 2020, 08:20:06 AM »

After i see this menu i realize the game hase a lot of deepth to it. I am only a bit sceptic about the tutorial, how will you explain to the player how all works
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: December 13, 2020, 01:58:30 PM »

After i see this menu i realize the game hase a lot of deepth to it. I am only a bit sceptic about the tutorial, how will you explain to the player how all works

Well, the tutorial is a bit complicated subject.
We have this:
- all buttons and interfaces got mouse tooltips
- when you start the game you only have 50% of the interface and the rest gets unlocked as you progress in the game
- tutorial mission for combat/explore mode

NajibSG
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: December 14, 2020, 06:25:50 PM »

I think that as you say a tutorial mission would be enough to understand the mechanics of the game. I say this because in your Flash games the first mission was to quickly understand the mechanics of the game. And that I do not speak English and even so it was easy to understand for your first mission that you gave in the game  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: December 17, 2020, 08:02:03 AM »

I think that as you say a tutorial mission would be enough to understand the mechanics of the game. I say this because in your Flash games the first mission was to quickly understand the mechanics of the game. And that I do not speak English and even so it was easy to understand for your first mission that you gave in the game  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Thank you for the kind words NajibSG!
The only problem is that the actual tutorial only cowers the combat/explore gameplay part, for the travel map we only have the procedural unlocking of features and the tooltips.
I will wait for more test reports to make a concept (if necessary) for the travel map gameplay part.

As for your English, I cannot judge it since my own English is not that good either lol. I am using Grammarly extension for auto correct

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 19, 2020, 05:29:25 AM »

Well, the tutorial is a bit complicated subject.
We have this:
- all buttons and interfaces got mouse tooltips
- when you start the game you only have 50% of the interface and the rest gets unlocked as you progress in the game

I like the ideea of unlocking things as you progress further.
Waiting for release date he he he
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: December 21, 2020, 04:18:24 PM »

Thank you!
Release date: 2021 TBA

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 24, 2020, 02:46:02 PM »

Thank you!
Release date: 2021 TBA

Thats a start! You should also update steam coming soon release date for 2021 because now it stil say 2020
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic