Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:50:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChromosome Evil - RTS & Horror
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29
Print
Author Topic: Chromosome Evil - RTS & Horror  (Read 113776 times)
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: April 13, 2021, 11:37:18 PM »

Wait, I totally missed the toy post!

this toys are more expensive , then your working computer!

Still a good choice of investment, I approve every single figurine Wink

Ramos
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: April 15, 2021, 02:13:32 PM »

That's a cool idea, it is amazing that you have so many people supporting you and enjoying your game!

Thank you, a little bit here, a little bit there, it sums up and I thought that would be a nice way to give something back

So these last 2 weeks I concentrated on random map environments/map design & marketing and since I posted a bit about marketing the last few days now it's time for me to post some new screenshots. Hope you enjoy it!
*I will update the main post with new screenschots*

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 04:34:18 PM by Ramos » Logged

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: April 16, 2021, 12:10:50 AM »

Nice, my favorites are number 4 and 5: A clean inventory/equipment and bloody pentagrams Smiley

Just one question: what the hell is the Green Goblin' face doing in screenshot number 1?

Ramos
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: April 16, 2021, 05:48:33 AM »

Nice, my favorites are number 4 and 5: A clean inventory/equipment and bloody pentagrams Smiley

Just one question: what the hell is the Green Goblin' face doing in screenshot number 1?

Glad to hear you like them! And yes for the menus I aim for a clean user-friendly design.

The green goblin is a ref from the horror movie "Maximum Overdrive" by Stephan King(it is pretty old movie). I added many movie refs trough out the game, for example, the last SCR map architecture + floor text is the direct ref for the movie "The Mist" and the SCR before that is a crowbar with the text "freeman was here" aka half-life ref

vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: April 16, 2021, 09:35:20 AM »

it's time for me to post some new screenshots. Hope you enjoy it!

Nice stuff, but I would suggest you to limit the width of the images here to 880px as they are very hard to navigate when they are bigger (as this forum doesn't automatically scale them).

You can either upload images that are already 880xYYY or you can use the "width=880" in your img tags here.

Creating "Virtueror, the virtual conqueror" (RTS + 4x + RPG)

[Wishlist on Steam]
[TIGS devlog][YouTube devlog][website]
Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 18, 2021, 08:42:58 AM »

Wow the new screenschots are sick
Can you also zoom in on the action?

I see that you insist on rts and horror but judging from your screenschot your game also got strong survival and simulation key point on gameplay, why dont you add survival and sim to your description?
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: April 18, 2021, 10:55:49 PM »

Nice, I really should watch Maximum Overdrive, I haven't seen it yet!

Ramos
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: April 19, 2021, 07:28:14 AM »

Nice stuff, but I would suggest you to limit the width of the images here to 880px as they are very hard to navigate when they are bigger (as this forum doesn't automatically scale them).

You can either upload images that are already 880xYYY or you can use the "width=880" in your img tags here.

Thank you & thank you for the suggestion, I adjusted!  Coffee

Wow the new screenschots are sick
Can you also zoom in on the action?

I see that you insist on rts and horror but judging from your screenschot your game also got strong survival and simulation key point on gameplay, why dont you add survival and sim to your description?

Thank you for the kind words!
Sergey(SadOff) made an experimental zoom-in function but I am not sure it will end up in the final game version.
Regarding tags: I prefer to concentrate on just 1 or 2(in this case RTS+horror) because I want my target audience very well defined and I don't want to make the game look like a bunch of tags staked together like the game does not know what it is. But you are right, the game got strong survival and sim elements, also it got RPG, management, and other elements.

Here, what makes you know the game better:

1. it is a Real-Time-Strategy mixed with strong Horror elements

2. it is an RTS, horror, survival, simulator, management, squad-based tactics and RPG

Just my opinion  Cool

Nice, I really should watch Maximum Overdrive, I haven't seen it yet!
That movie was good but I am afraid it did not age well
 Cool

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 20, 2021, 04:40:09 AM »

Thank you for explaining, yes, it is clear now.
irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: April 20, 2021, 08:20:40 AM »

I love those screenshots. The bloody pentagram is awesome  Evil

Ramos
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: April 21, 2021, 09:46:38 PM »

Thank you for explaining, yes, it is clear now.

Glad I could help  Gentleman

I love those screenshots. The bloody pentagram is awesome  Evil

Thank you, Irn!
Now I am waiting for you to post some more screenshots on Tendril  Cool

------------------

Time to do some updates on survival and choice matters elements of the game

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: April 21, 2021, 10:36:13 PM »

The scene in the screenshot is so simple and yet so effectively building atmosphere. Well done! I am chickening away from the choices matter approach to implementing my story. But seeing this almost makes me regret this choice Wink

vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: April 22, 2021, 05:48:49 AM »

Time to do some updates on survival and choice matters elements of the game

It's very cool you have those in your game because it changes completely what the player is doing, which is (usually) a great way to break the monotony of a genre.

I am not sure about the design of that jeep (I guess) though, it looks a bit weird. Shouldn't the central square be on top (something like this for example)?

[Wishlist on Steam]
vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: April 22, 2021, 05:49:59 AM »

I am chickening away from the choices matter approach to implementing my story. But seeing this almost makes me regret this choice Wink

Can't you add one at the early stage of your game and see how players like it during play-testing?

[Wishlist on Steam]
Ramos
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: April 22, 2021, 06:47:28 AM »

It's very cool you have those in your game because it changes completely what the player is doing, which is (usually) a great way to break the monotony of a genre.

I am not sure about the design of that jeep (I guess) though, it looks a bit weird. Shouldn't the central square be on top (something like this for example)?

Thank you my friend for the kind words and CC!

So far most of what you have seen so far is the RTS explorable part of gameplay but that is 60% of the actual gameplay, the other 40% is TBS survival & choice matters. After all, we did spend 4 years on this project, think of it as reversed Xcom, Alain will understand this, basically what was TBS in Xcom here its real-time, and what was real-time in Xcom here is Turn-based

Regarding vehicles, you are right to some extent but the main visual inspiration was the APC from ALiens, not real-life vehicles. Mostly I cared about the interior to be very similar to the inspiration material and on the exterior, I had to improvize a bit.

You can see here both cutscene and map view of this APC

And here is the explorable map with vehicle interior

The scene in the screenshot is so simple and yet so effectively building atmosphere. Well done! I am chickening away from the choices matter approach to implementing my story. But seeing this almost makes me regret this choice Wink

Thank you, Alain!
And yes, as you can see from the pics above, I try to keep the cutscenes and TBS part of the game very clean and as simple as possible.

Consider this: the player got much satisfaction when he sees the results of his action in the game world and if you also add the choice then player enjoyment will be doubled - just my opinion.
As I said to vivaladev, I am creating a reverse version of Xcom  Cool

vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: April 22, 2021, 07:49:46 AM »

Regarding vehicles, you are right to some extent but the main visual inspiration was the APC from ALiens, not real-life vehicles. Mostly I cared about the interior to be very similar to the inspiration material and on the exterior, I had to improvize a bit.

You can see here both cutscene and map view of this APC

Oh I see now, but why does the scaled down version (left) has much less details than the bigger one (right)?

[Wishlist on Steam]
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: April 22, 2021, 07:51:16 AM »

I am chickening away from the choices matter approach to implementing my story. But seeing this almost makes me regret this choice Wink

Can't you add one at the early stage of your game and see how players like it during play-testing?

I don't want to hijack Ramos' devlog, so just real quick: I think I would love it, I think the players would love it, just right now I feel it is not feasible. Maybe a very simple version in the future, that would be cool Smiley

As I said to vivaladev, I am creating a reverse version of Xcom  Cool

I think I never heard you describe your gameplay loop(s) like that. I think it isn't a good idea to name other games in your Steam description for example, but the reversion of planning the missions and acting them out with regards to the flow of time  sounds very very marketable to me! Maybe you can build your tagline around it somehow, I have a hunch that you are onto something here!

Ramos
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: April 22, 2021, 09:30:36 AM »

Oh I see now, but why does the scaled down version (left) has much less details than the bigger one (right)?

Glad you asked, this is my personal design choice, I want players to sublimely make a very fast difference on what point of the game they are by:

- On micro-management/ Real-Time Tactics part of the game: the visuals are very detailed and I used a more rich color palette
- On macro-management/ Turn-Based Strategy part of the game: the visuals are very generic and I used a grey color palette at most time

Hope this answers your question

I don't want to hijack Ramos' devlog, so just real quick: I think I would love it, I think the players would love it, just right now I feel it is not feasible. Maybe a very simple version in the future, that would be cool Smiley

I think I never heard you describe your gameplay loop(s) like that. I think it isn't a good idea to name other games in your Steam description for example, but the reversion of planning the missions and acting them out with regards to the flow of time  sounds very very marketable to me! Maybe you can build your tagline around it somehow, I have a hunch that you are onto something here!

It is ok guys, it is not like the president is going to check out these forums and send us in prison if you do a little off-topic Cheesy

Regarding what you said about Steam description, I do not use other game refs in that description, I only use those refs in this intimate dev blog space so do not worry.

And regarding your hunch, I am sorry to disappoint but I have actually no idea what I am doing except for the fact that I want to make a game that I WANT TO PLAY  Shrug

For one of my other games: TAURONOS I knew what I want to make and I enjoyed developing it with passion, but it was not the type of game that I would play. You can never have both aparently.
You can chek that dev blog here if you want: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59788.0

If you have any marketing/PR suggestions for me please do share

« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 09:47:16 AM by Ramos » Logged

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: April 22, 2021, 10:44:39 PM »

And regarding your hunch, I am sorry to disappoint but I have actually no idea what I am doing except for the fact that I want to make a game that I WANT TO PLAY  Shrug

Making a game you want to play is the best agenda there is Smiley

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: April 23, 2021, 12:41:27 PM »

For one of my other games: TAURONOS I knew what I want to make and I enjoyed developing it with passion, but it was not the type of game that I would play. You can never have both aparently.

I dunno, it seems to me it is possible to enjoy creating a game that you would like to play in the end, no?

I mean I know that after few years of development of the same title one is starting to feel tired, but still, it seems doable.

Or at least I hope so Wink

Busy working on xcom-like, steampunk/vermintide pixel art strategy game called "Shardpunk".

Devlog | Twitter | Webpage
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic