Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:06:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsChromosome Evil - RTS & Horror
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29
Print
Author Topic: Chromosome Evil - RTS & Horror  (Read 114979 times)
joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: April 23, 2021, 04:35:31 PM »

This game looks so rad!  Can't wait to play it next year (2022).  Do you have any plans for a beta/early access earlier than the full release date?

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 23, 2021, 05:11:48 PM »

- On micro-management/ Real-Time Tactics part of the game:
- On macro-management/ Turn-Based Strategy part of the game:

And

I think I never heard you describe your gameplay loop(s) like that. Maybe you can build your tagline around it somehow

This can be a good combo of description because on your curret store page you have  4 or 5 bulletpoint, reducing them to those 2 and expanding them i think it can be a good thing

I also love the choice matter preview, this game got a lot of depth and potential to be viral. Good job!!!
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: April 25, 2021, 08:46:23 AM »

Making a game you want to play is the best agenda there is Smiley

It sure feels that way

I dunno, it seems to me it is possible to enjoy creating a game that you would like to play in the end, no?

I mean I know that after few years of development of the same title one is starting to feel tired, but still, it seems doable.

Or at least I hope so Wink

What a nice surprise to see you here,

Yes, after a few years in a project it is hard to be objective

This game looks so rad!  Can't wait to play it next year (2022).  Do you have any plans for a beta/early access earlier than the full release date?

Thank you for the kind words! They help my motivation.

We had an early private alpha test session for the active people on our Discord back in 2020, we will probably do a private beta test session at the end of June 2021. We also consider a demo but I think we will skip it to maintain game value for high-tier YouTubers/streamers.

This can be a good combo of description because on your curret store page you have  4 or 5 bulletpoint, reducing them to those 2 and expanding them i think it can be a good thing

I also love the choice matter preview, this game got a lot of depth and potential to be viral. Good job!!!

Thank you Beastboy,
your notes are very constructive, I will seriously consider them

Thank you guys for all the nice words & feedback

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: April 27, 2021, 01:46:39 AM »

UPDATE TIME

​UPDATE time
I was thinking of a new way of boosting the horror element by adding prelude maps for scenarios, for example, this prelude map is for that huge boss fight a few pages earlier.Note that this prelude map has no enemies. this map is supposed to:
- offer hints about how can you beat the monster(aka you need long-range weapons)
- offer information about the game lore
- some character development
- tension slowly increases by fear of the unknown and mystery.
--------------------------

We had this script for text speech bubbles from characters:
1. Default (The speech bubble appears automatically when you enter the map, the conversation plays automatically, all speech bubbles coming from vehicle are the conversation between the driver and the commander/you )

- Sir? We've reached the last known position of "Gamma Squad" and from where they sent the distress signal.

- Very well, heads-up people! This was a 30-man platoon, if they ran into trouble, we can only pray that we can make a difference.

- No offense sir, but seeing that other Trojan, in that state, I do not feel too comfortable staying here for long.

- I understand your concern, nonetheless, we must scout and secure the area. If nothing comes up, then we can leave...

-------------------

Triggers: When you click with a character on these triggers the character will move close to them and do a fast interaction (around 5 seconds). The range of the interaction can be double it's normal distance because this is an investigation, not an actual object interaction. Each will have a speech bubble according to the class interacting with it (Soldier, Medic, Engineer)

If you click with a Soldier, the Soldier will say:

- What the hell happened here? This is supposed to be a top-of-the-line armoured vehicle and now look at it.

If you click with a Medic, the Medic will say:

- Judging by the damage inflicted, I estimate the creature that did this had a large mass and was at least as big as the vehicle itself.

If you click with the Engineer, the Engineer will say:

- It looks like whatever attacked this vehicle did a number on it, slicing through it's armour like a tin can. It's beyond repair.

- I don't like this at all! I've a bad feeling about this whole operation.

- No traces of blood, they were dragged out alive! Judging by this behavior I suspect the creature does not plan on simply attacking - but consuming us!

- This gives me the chills, are you sure you need an engineer for this mission?

- There was a fight here! Looks like many rounds were fired, but there's no blood?!

- Hmmm... With so many rounds fired and the lack of blood, I assume the creature can attack at range? I recommend switching to rifles and SMGs now!

- Well, at least they put up a good fight!

- 'You scared? It's just a scarecrow!

- Was that scarecrow there when we arrived?

- Man! I hope this'll not turn all "Children of the corn" on us!

- Come quick! I found a... hand?..

- This hand was ripped from the body! Guys?! Seriously! We are dealing with a new and extremely dangerous creature here!

- I didn't sign up for this!..

- We're sitting ducks here! Let's check out that house up ahead and then get the hell out of here!

- If any of "Gamma Squad" survived, they are probably in that house up ahead.

If you click with the engineer, the engineer will say:

- That house up ahead can provide us some cover!

---------------------

Unfortunately because of engine limits my Programmer partner decided that speech bubbles are too hard to implement at this point but I still keep the prelude map, I just hope I got enough visual hints to show all that text was explaining
So those interactable question marks will be removed

remindedr this is the scenario map that follows:

« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 01:52:52 AM by Ramos » Logged

vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: April 27, 2021, 07:40:39 AM »

I was thinking of a new way of boosting the horror element by adding prelude maps for scenarios, for example, this prelude map is for that huge boss fight a few pages earlier.Note that this prelude map has no enemies.

That sounds like a good addition to spice things up, but I am not entirely sure I get what prelude maps are.

Are they independent levels with no enemies that you play before the actual levels?
Are they an initial part of existing levels, but with no enemies?
Are they interactive cut-scenes where you have only limited options to interact with the environment?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 03:25:57 PM by vivaladav » Logged

Creating "Virtueror, the virtual conqueror" (RTS + 4x + RPG)

[Wishlist on Steam]
[TIGS devlog][YouTube devlog][website]
vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: April 27, 2021, 08:17:44 AM »

Those prelude maps is very interesting idea, mainly for such genre.

It sounds great to tell story and background in such way.

cepnox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 27, 2021, 08:18:14 PM »

Those prelude maps are going to be awesome. I like when horror games builds a tension.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: April 27, 2021, 11:10:55 PM »

Nice, always a good choice to boost the horror elements Smiley

Reading your dialogues was fun and I'm sure you too had a lot of fun writing them in this 80s action movie style.

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 29, 2021, 02:16:55 AM »

I was not expecting such a gimmik, this is good outside the box design.

The only problem i see its the fact that character development will not have the same effect without the speech lines but the tenssion building is stil there
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 06:04:17 AM by Beastboy » Logged
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: April 29, 2021, 02:17:13 PM »

That sounds like a good addition to spice things up, but I am not entirely sure I get what prelude maps are.

Are they independent levels with no enemies that you play before the actual levels?
Are they an initial part of existing levels, but with no enemies?
Are they interactive cut-scenes where you have only limited options to interact with the environment?

Thank you vivaladev,
Also, those are some good points and I understand the direction you question and will try to answer.
- Yes these levels are independent.
- Yes, no enemies but players will not know what levels have or do not have enemies + some levels only span enemies if aggro difficulty is increased too much based on player actions(aggro is based on player choices and how he plays the game, he can learn how aggro works but it is totally optional how much depth he plans on learning)
- Interactive cutscenes, yes you can say that but the player got much freedom, no limitations, I do not want him to see the difference between a cutscene like this and an actual stage.

Those prelude maps is very interesting idea, mainly for such genre.

It sounds great to tell story and background in such way.

Thank you, I sure hope so because I am stepping on the ground that I do not have any actual example to follow, RTS+Horror not really something that I can find easy

Those prelude maps are going to be awesome. I like when horror games builds a tension.

Thank you cepnox, I try my best to implement horror elements without cutting in RTS elements, we shall see in the end if it was worth it

Nice, always a good choice to boost the horror elements Smiley

Reading your dialogues was fun and I'm sure you too had a lot of fun writing them in this 80s action movie style.

Thank you Alain,
Yes, I was aiming for the 80s-90s cheesy horror movies, unfortunately, these will not make it in the final version  Cry

I was not expecting such a gimmik, this is good outside the box design.

The only problem i see its the fact that character development will not have the same effect without the speech lines but the tenssion building is stil there

Thank you for the kind words!
Maybe if there will be time left I will beg my partner to re-consider the dialogue implementation

--------------------------------

UPDATE.

The second Tutorial stage is done.

The first one was the interior of APC where the player learns basic controls + story lore and some character development.

This second one puts the player in danger and teaches him about interactions + some lore.

The old tutorial was too standard, it was in a building and we remade it because we want players to always experience new environments and situations, we do not want players to get bored. Also, all mechanics will be gradually unlocked not all of a sudden, and as much as possible we try to mix them with game lore and story plot.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: April 29, 2021, 11:09:35 PM »

Thank you Alain,
Yes, I was aiming for the 80s-90s cheesy horror movies, unfortunately, these will not make it in the final version  Cry

Intresting, why won't they make it?

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 01, 2021, 03:09:05 AM »

I like the diversity from your game environments.
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: May 03, 2021, 09:08:22 AM »

Intresting, why won't they make it?

Because of engine limits, it would take too much time at this point and would cause a lot of side problems that will eventually cost even more time to fix. Rabbit hole scenario.

I like the diversity from your game environments.

Thank you! Glad you enjoy them

------------------------------------------

Announcement

This month we will work exclusively on a vertical slice beta version.

Our main goals are:

- have private tests for users who contributed to our Discord with LVL 4 and above.

- send a version to a very small amount of YouTubers

If you are interested you can join our Discord room here: https://discord.gg/J2E2YWK

cepnox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 03, 2021, 08:13:42 PM »

Cool, wish you the best luck with the finishing of beta Hand Thumbs Up Left

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: May 03, 2021, 10:58:36 PM »

That's amazing, can't wait to play! Btw. that gif is great, especially the soldier punching the zombies. I'm sad he did not make it.

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 04, 2021, 06:13:00 PM »

Congratulations on the beta!

Does this mean you decided on the final release date?
vivaladav
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: May 05, 2021, 04:35:45 AM »

I want a copy of the beta... I have a YouTube channel after all! Cheesy

Creating "Virtueror, the virtual conqueror" (RTS + 4x + RPG)

[Wishlist on Steam]
[TIGS devlog][YouTube devlog][website]
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: May 06, 2021, 12:12:01 PM »

Cool, wish you the best luck with the finishing of beta Hand Thumbs Up Left

Thank you Cepnox! This month its all work, work, work

That's amazing, can't wait to play! Btw. that gif is great, especially the soldier punching the zombies. I'm sad he did not make it.

Thank you, Alain, unfortunately, none of the characters from the gif made it out alive
And yes, that is one of game mechanics, if monsters get to close to characters they lose ability to use long-range weapons and enter close combat mode
I will let you know immediately after I got the beta build
Tnx again for all your support

Congratulations on the beta!

Does this mean you decided on the final release date?

Thank you!

Well ok sure, why not, we HOPE to have it released on 15 Feb 2022, but you know ... life  Shrug

I want a copy of the beta... I have a YouTube channel after all! Cheesy

Hey Vivaladev,
we two are going to make a mafia-style transaction, on a dark alley, 2 mobster teams, I will give you my Beta at the same time you give me your Beta. No funny moves and do not call the police  Cool

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: May 06, 2021, 10:27:00 PM »

Thank you, Alain, unfortunately, none of the characters from the gif made it out alive
And yes, that is one of game mechanics, if monsters get to close to characters they lose ability to use long-range weapons and enter close combat mode

That is a nice twist. I remember that panic in the original X-Com was very frustrating, because you lost control of that character. It would have been great if a panicking character would at least have punched some Sectoids into the groin with their bare fist!

I will let you know immediately after I got the beta build

Nice, I'm really looking forward to this!

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 08, 2021, 06:03:05 AM »

Thats good news, so less than 1 year left
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 29
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic