Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:57:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe Last Ruin ( Itch.io HTML5 Game )
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Last Ruin ( Itch.io HTML5 Game )  (Read 726 times)
Arludus
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2018, 07:19:53 AM »

Hello everyone, I present you my first game, available for free on Itch.io

It's a pretty simple pixel-art platform game, you have to jump from ruin to ruin without falling, the platforms are randomly created as you go so the level is infinite the goal being to make the best score possible to unlock more levels. Each level will have its particularities, some with boss.

The game is available on Itch.io : https://arludus.itch.io/the-last-ruin

Maunomau
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 03:49:13 PM »

Keyboard option for at least replay button if not all of the menu options would be nice.

It seems like score is based on just distance and getting stars but for a while I thought it might be based on number of platforms you've landed on which would have made skipping one when possible bad so it probably wouldn't hurt to somehow make it more clear.

Edit:On the ice level when I fell I somehow ended up in some kind of a boss room but the boss promptly did a suicide by breaking the ground under it before I did anything. Maybe related to the thing that sometimes makes you not jump at all or try to jump several times.

Spikes at the bottom of 2nd level not scrolling feels super weird and overall I'm not sure how I feel about the that level being 2nd, to me it seems like a level where it's super easy to make it impossible since lot of the jumps get ruined if you badly land on a platform just once(specifically the jumps where there's a moving platform that I have to first land on with a correct timing and move forward along with it before using it again, often I make the mistake of just waiting on the previous platforms until it is nearing the furthest point it can move to before trying to get on it without realizing that I can't jump far enough) and the 3rd level probably does a better job of teaching you that sometimes you might want to slow down a little but even after that 2nd level seems super hard compared to later levels(I quickly got over 100 score in other levels but I still haven't gotten that far in it). Speaking of 3rd level sometimes the plant tentacles can end up barely visible if there are say 2 platforms over it and it's at a lowered position(same goes for some of the fireballs in the lava level, at first I thought nice, they are always on the foreground until I realized that some platforms seem to hide them while others don't).

How sure are you that the game doesn't make impossible situations since I'm pretty sure I had 1 jump with no moving parts or anything weird that was clearly either impossible or very close to impossible.

No boss fight or anything in the last level was slightly disappointing though also a relief since I'd probably hate spending more time on that particular level.

Have you considered making levels transition from 1 to another instead of having to rely on player deciding that they've had enough of 1 level and either just quitting or trying out another level(at first I didn't even bother looking at the level select screen and was mostly assuming that they'd all be mostly same and was pretty surprised when I realized that they could have bosses and such.

Also I'm assuming you don't save progress in any way yet since reloading the page resets it for me.
Stars in the intro sure are grey, I didn't even notice them the first time.

You might want to make the stars that fly across the screen be triggered by gaining score unless you want to promote just camping around as long as possible to get more stars per distance traveled.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 06:05:52 PM by Endymion » Logged
Bober RS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 02:25:46 PM »

At first, some bugs to report:
  • After dying, choosing option MENU -> LEVEL SELECT moves you back to score screen, not to level select.
  • Hitting platform in the very corner or jumping into it from the side (instead of jumping onto it from the top) makes it move down a few times immediately. It doesn't seem fair, since it caused me to die a few times. But there's even more serious problem: In the 3rd level, hitting boss's heart that way makes him lose multiple lives at once. I happened to kill him that way, which resulted in gaining about 300 points for killing boss multiple times with a single heart bump.
  • I'm quite sure there are some impossible jumps to perform as the distances between platforms can be too large. Are you mathematically sure that your game can't generate randomly platforms placed more distant than maximal jump reach?
  • In the very last level, you can walk by the princess back and forth and restart the "victory tune" every time.

Now, about my feelings concerning the game. I appreciate the graphics (3rd level, including boss, looks great) and the music is quite decent (but repetitive). However, it feels a bit like a wasted potential. The gameplay is too easy (not including 2. level, which should be the last one in my opinion), most of the time you can hold down the right arrow and just release it sometimes when needed. Beating the game gave me the feeling "that's all?"; I think you could develop the idea into something quite good. I'm not sure if the game is designed primarily for mobile phones, which would restrict interactions to clicking right/left only. If it is, maybe you could think of designing some levels vertically (levels based on climbing as high as you can), that would allow player to move right, left, up and down, depending on designed obstacles. Otherwise, if multiple interactions are not a problem, you could develop some good platformer game. Jumping only when intended, with some platforms standing still and many obstacles on the way.
Sea Jay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 08:37:25 AM »

This was a good effort, Ardulus!

It's certainly unique, to say the least. Pogo sticking my way across a series of gradually sinking platforms is something I don't think I've seen before. I also really appreciate the effort to support both the keyboard and touch screen, even though I personally find it difficult to use the mouse to work the menus when the arrow keys are used for gameplay. It'd be nice if I could rebind them.

The game looks nice enough, though the music can be a tad repetitive at times. Jumping around feels servicible, but the way platforms are placed often led me into a trap and it feels like there could be more audiovisual feedback. The only really urgent thing I think you should look into is the second level, where the foreground platforms and background moves, but not the spikes on the ground:

Outside of capturing that demo footage, this made me feel pretty dizzy from the jumbled perspective. Hopefully this isn't too difficult to fix.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic