Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:47:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessPay per copy business model, isn't any good?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pay per copy business model, isn't any good?  (Read 1633 times)
lordmetroid
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2009, 05:44:22 AM »

In this video IGS 2007: Daniel James - 'Making An Indie MMO'. The boss of the puzzle pirates advices indie developers not to base ones business on the model pay x$ on ones website and you get a copy of the game. That if you do that you are screwed as a developer and will not be able to live of that whatsoever. Is that so?
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 06:58:38 AM »

That sounds like MMO-specific advice to me. The main revenue source for an MMO is monthly subscription fees, so you want the barrier to entry to be as low as possible.

Stegersaurus
Level 2

Crazy robots...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 05:13:54 PM »

That sounds like MMO-specific advice to me. The main revenue source for an MMO is monthly subscription fees, so you want the barrier to entry to be as low as possible.

Well he does start his talk sounding like persistent online worlds in his opinion IS the way to go, which would be an MMO. Which to me sounds like a bit of bunk, and I think the more realistic clause would be that things can scale, and MMOs are just one aggressive piece of that scale of project.

In other words, yup, to me it sounds like MMO specific advice. I think pay per copy is still viable if you're making a standalone game that would be considered "Abusive" to users if you did persistent payments from them.

http://www.stegersaurus.com - Yet another blog about games
Mega Monster Mania - Procedural, fast paced dungeon running
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 05:14:16 PM »

well, considering that there are people living off of selling indie games on the pay per copy model, i think it's bad advice. it's good advice to diversify one's income streams, but to say that people can't make money selling indie games online is misleading; there are several people who make six figures a year selling shareware games (cliffski and spiderweb software are examples)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic