Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:08:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSuper Frog's Quest - 2D Platforming With a Delicious Twist
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Super Frog's Quest - 2D Platforming With a Delicious Twist  (Read 1464 times)
jc
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2018, 10:52:06 PM »

Super Frog's Quest is a platformer reminiscent of the classic SNES era. The game is about a yet to be named frog who must rescue the tadpoles and his froggy family from the organized army of flies. Our friend will also encounter all sorts of other dangerous creatures and must use his frog abilities to conquer his foes.

I started work on this game after having a dream about playing a game that involved eating enemies and gaining different powers. Now, I want to turn the dream into a reality. I'm long-hauling this until it's done and I'm satisfied with it. Since I don't have a team, I'll have to do everything (art, music, coding) all on my own, but I think I'm up to the challenge! Cheesy I'll be using this thread to document my progress and also post incremental updates on my Twitter account.

My Twitter account: https://twitter.com/jcgc1988

As for now, allow me to introduce some of the basic concepts.

This is our hero, the green frog. He can run, he can jump, he can...

Use his tongue to consume his enemies!

...or use it to launch his foes right back at the enemies!

Some enemies give you powers if you hold them in your mouth, such as this aptly named fire-fly.

His adventure will take him through the deepest underground and the soaring skies.

I couldn't think of something interesting to say here except that this is the boss...

And here is the action in GIF form to give you a better idea of the gameplay

So there you have it. For any folks out there who are interested, keep an eye on this thread. I'll try to keep it updated semi-regularly. If anyone has any feedback based on what they see so far, don't be shy!

By the way, I'm planning to release a short gameplay demo very soon, so sit tight.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 08:16:00 PM by jc » Logged
jc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 09:55:02 PM »

Been a while, but I've got some updates. First of all, I've added a slough of new enemies.

I've also added a retro intro. I tried to emulate the old-fashioned bootup for the classic consoles. Didn't quite nail it, but it's close.

And finally, I changed the way abilities are acquired. Now, it's an old-fashioned Kirby style swallow.

Next will be adding new abilities and possibly level design.
jc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 06:28:33 PM »

Added some new things.

First of all, say hello to Mr. Snake...

He will be the first boss. He spits out flies (that you can shoot back) and fireballs.

I've also added a new ability. When you swallow the mosquitos, you become a ninja!

And here is another GIF of it in action...

jc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 05:35:58 PM »

I just released the first playable demo. There are still a few aspects that aren't quite finished, especially the sound and music, but at least I've got something to give to the public for now.

It can be downloaded from the itch.io page.
jc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 06:57:11 PM »

Been a while since my last update, but I just finished coding all the abilities you will be able to get throughout the game. I put together a short video demonstrating them all by playing through the first screen with them. No sound because the sound design isn't finished, so enjoy the royalty free music instead. Cheesy

andyfromiowa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 08:34:32 PM »

The art style is great - it's very lighthearted, charming, and fun. I appreciate the small touches like the tongue going in all directions and the subtle movement when you jump on the lily pads.

Is the game inspired by Super Mario World? Some of the gameplay looks very Yoshi-esque - not that that's a bad thing. I love that game.

Jesse Ko
Level 1

L7 Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 08:55:41 AM »

Is the game inspired by Super Mario World? Some of the gameplay looks very Yoshi-esque - not that that's a bad thing. I love that game.

I was actually thinking the same thing. I really liked the Yoshi gameplay, sometimes even more than playing as Mario. Looks like the tongue grab/eating mechanics seem snappier here.

SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 11:05:09 AM »

I like your game, it's really retarded - well done  Well, hello there! No No NO

← Avatar from my  Healing Process: Tokyo. 3 years in so far. Daily dev-log is here. I have advice for composers looking for work, join here, I'll tell you.
Tusky
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 06:41:43 AM »

it's really retarded

Shocked
SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 07:22:23 AM »

Cool Yeah, I said it.

But it's a good thing  Waaagh!.

← Avatar from my  Healing Process: Tokyo. 3 years in so far. Daily dev-log is here. I have advice for composers looking for work, join here, I'll tell you.
jc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 08:40:54 PM »

Thanks for the compliments, guys! Glad you guys are interested in the game. Grin

Yeah, the art style looks a bit like early SNES Mario. Funny story about that, it was almost on accident, haha! Back in the past, I used to make sprite ripped fangames until I had my "If I'm going to put in this much effort, I may as well make it original" moment. However, since I'm not really a practiced artist, my artwork was less than stellar. So, on my next project, I tried to really practice my pixel art. I started really trying to draw and had no idea what it would look like. After drawing up a few resources and putting them together, the result ended up looking like an old SNES/Genesis game, which I actually liked because that was my favorite era of games. So, I stuck with it, and now I just consider it my style. Smiley

As for Yoshi's Island, that was one of my favorite games as a child. Although, it wasn't quite what I had in mind when I started this game, lol. Maybe it was subconscious. The actual story is that I had wanted to make a game about a frog that uses its tongue to attack for a long time, but never got around to it. I used to want it to be a Flash game, but I suppose that's gone out of style. It wasn't until recently when I had a dream (like an actual, sleeping dream) where I was playing it that I finally got the impetus to start on it. I guess we will see if the (literal) dream can become reality. Cheesy

Anyway, as far as updates go, I've decided to develop everything one by one. As in, I do all the enemy artwork first, then all the programming for them, then background artwork, then level design, etc. Right now, I'm in the middle of drawing all the enemies. I'll be able to post what I've been working on pretty soon. Smiley
jc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 08:15:08 PM »

Well then... it's been about 4 months since I last posted in this thread. The reason is, I've been working so much on the game that I didn't even have time to post an update, hahaha! Pretty much nonstop work for 4 straight months. Anyway, I'm really proud of what I was able to pull off in those months, because now the game is complete and has been released! Cheesy You can now purchase it at the following link.. or just download the demo.

https://jcgames.itch.io/super-frogs-quest

And if you want to see what I've been working on in those 4 months, well... here you go

You can see more screenshots in the aforementioned link.

Also, as another shameless plug, I've decided to make my previous project, The Bits that Saved the Universe, a free download. You can also find that here: https://jcgames.itch.io/the-bits-that-saved-the-universe

Now that I'm done powering through the development of this game, I can start playtesting other folks' games again, so happy days are here again. Grin

JC
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic