Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:42:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallBioEntity
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: BioEntity  (Read 726 times)
SneakyParty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2018, 04:36:30 AM »

As the founder of new indie studio Sneaky Party LLC, I am thrilled to present the trailer for my first game: BioEntity!

Coming in Summer 2018 for Windows & Mac on Steam: goo.gl/CWWkAD

• 30+ levels of 2D platforming action
  • Move in any direction and stick to any surface
  • Defeat enemies and get powerups for new abilities
  • Boss battles & bonus mini-games
  • Collect energy and race for the fastest level times
  • Steam Achievements & Leaderboards

A missing scientist. An amorphous biological entity. A nefarious corporation. Genetically modified organisms. Deadly acid, robotic drones and lasers. Enter the world of BioEntity!

I’ve always loved 2D platform games, ranging from 8 & 16-bit consoles (Mario 3, Sonic, Mega Man X) to 90’s PC games (Commander Keen, Jazz Jackrabbit, Rayman) to addicting Flash games of the 2000’s (N+, Fancy Pants Adventures). I’ve referenced elements of those classic games, fusing fast, fluid movement with a style that favors solid colors and gradients.

Early efforts were focused on mobile platforms, but I found early on that I couldn’t make the controls behave the way I wanted. The tactile feedback and precision achievable with physical buttons is practically impossible to duplicate on a touch screen, and would have necessitated making it much easier for desktop or unreasonably challenging on mobile. Support for keyboard and a variety of gamepads is planned.

Unity is the engine of choice, leveraging the 2D Toolkit. I plan on making more posts here, so stay tuned for updates. Welcome to any feedback, questions or constructive criticism. Thanks!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sneakyparty
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrjJxUeO_Zo8cKhmao03j0A
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sneakyparty
SneakyParty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 04:33:08 AM »

In addition to game design and graphics, I'm also creating the music and audio for BioEntity. For the 'corporate lobby' levels, I wanted an easy-listening, bossa nova style groove with a Rhodes piano sound. I enlisted the help of my dad, an immensely talented musician that also plays guitar in a gypsy-jazz band. His keyboard part was entirely improvised!

The backing tracks were arranged in Reaper, which I can 100% recommend for someone looking to record music on PC with a limited budget. A discounted license is only $60, and I used a good deal of free VST plugins like Dexed, MT PowerDrumKit 2, and Ample Guitar M II Lite. I'm looking to make more videos about the music recording process, since I still have to record the guitar parts and ending theme.

Here it is on YouTube:

BioEntity on Steam

Sneaky Party LLC
Facebook
YouTube
Instagram
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 06:16:38 AM by SneakyParty » Logged
Charlie123
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 05:46:13 AM »

Looks really nice sneaky. I like the bit I saw on the video of the rolling chair when he lands on it and it slides along. Liking that music too. Ha but when I started writing this comment it stopped the video playing so after I'm done posting here I'm going to go back and listen to the rest of it :D
SneakyParty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 12:56:33 PM »

New video! This is the main theme music to BioEntity, performed on guitar and MIDI arranged/recorded by myself. The melody is actually part of an older song I wrote on guitar called ‘Moments of Pure Love’, written in a relationship from eons ago. The background is the main menu animation that combines elements from different levels, objects and power-ups.

I bought a blue screen (since my guitar is green), some LED bulbs and an adjustable gooseneck lamp for my home recording studio, as well as a Logitech c920 Webcam going into OBS Studio (easier than having to jump back and forth with an SD card or transfer the files from my phone).

This is my second recording using the DigiTech RP360 XP, and I am really digging it. The effects and amp simulation sounds great, and I can also use it with my Vox Valvetronix 30W amp for increased control over the effects, gain and EQ settings. Look out for more music videos on the SneakyParty YouTube channel!

Bio Entity Steam Page

Sneaky Party LLC:
Facebook
YouTube
Instagram
SneakyParty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 05:58:05 AM »

Just posted a new music/gameplay video that features the Factory levels of BioEntity. Going for a darker, more industrial track with a strong minor feel and the 'CLANK' sound of the Crushers. This was a challenging guitar lick to learn, as it was transcribed to guitar from MIDI notes and features some 'finger gymnastics', but practice makes perfect! There is also a sneak peak at the Robot Boss (for lack of a better name).

Bio Entity Steam Page

Follow Sneaky Party LLC:
Facebook
YouTube
Instagram
NeckBeardAficionado
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 09:00:08 AM »

Very cool execution. It's neat to see audio of this caliber in a game like this. How long did you work on this for?
SneakyParty
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 10:53:43 AM »

Thank you! It's very difficult to say because I've been developing the game for a long time, starting as an occasional hobby and became much more active within the last year and a half. I alternate between graphics, game design, programming, music production and more recently marketing depending on what I'm doing that day. This song was created specifically for BioEntity last spring, but many of the other songs are adaptations of things I've written for guitar or while I was in college.

Having visually distinct levels/areas of my game has helped focus each piece around what the mood and different sounds/effects should be. I've been very happy with how the soundtrack is turning out, and plan on releasing it either through Steam or on a platform like Bandcamp.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic