Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:38:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKollidoskop! - The 1978 arcade machine. [sign up for closed beta]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Kollidoskop! - The 1978 arcade machine. [sign up for closed beta]  (Read 2785 times)
interrit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2018, 12:28:30 PM »

Hi there!

I am working on a little game about a mythological Soviet arcade machine where you collide particles and build chemical elements. I try to follow physics as much as possible while keeping the game fun to play. All of the following is work in progress and will probably change before I’m done.

A Steam page!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/801420/Kollidoskop/

A Trailer!

(sorry for the massive gifs)

Gameplay goes as follows:
- You shoot gamma photons.
- When photons collide, a particle-antiparticle pair is produced.
- A photon hits a pair, particle and antiparticle are released.
- You collect the matter, avoid running into antimatter.
- As you play, uncollected particles either gather into elements or annihilate.

The ultimate goal of the game is to reach element 101 - Mendelevium. If you build up elements efficiently, you get to beat other players’ top scores as well.

Thanks for your attention, I’ll keep you updated!
Interrit
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:43:25 AM by interrit » Logged

interrit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 11:13:57 AM »

Mechanics

Although I’ve tried to simplify the mechanics as much as I possibly know how, here’s a visual reference of how the basics of the game go.

The arena of the game is circular and wrapping, much like Asteroids.

You shoot photons. The wrapping arena means that when standing still, you will shoot yourself in the butt.

If you stand off the main diameter, it will take two wraps but you cannot escape shooting yourself in the butt.

Your main goal in the game is to collide photons to create proton-antiproton pairs

and shoot them to split them, catch the green matter and avoid running into evil antimatter.

When you switch to low-energy ammo, you produce electron-positron pairs that is needed to complete your element.

Not a good idea.

Any ideas for improvements on mechanics? The current setup lends itself to thought out and even a bit dry gameplay, I’d like to make it a bit more arcade-y.

rarelikeaunicorn
Level 0

Just keep walking.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 01:44:10 PM »

I'm totally down for this! Fantasy consoles/arcade machines are always a thing I enjoy.

Regarding mechanics, it's hard to say without playing it at all. From the screens it looks like something I'd want to get my hands on before offering any particular comments. Are there random elements (hah) to the behavior of the antimatter or any other bits? If everything is based on player execution that might be good for the front half of the game but may lack the depth/replayability. Also, is the switch to/from low-energy ammo under player control? Can you always switch back and forth at will? You're off to a very cool start but I think there's more design space for you to explore.

interrit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 11:47:29 PM »

I'm totally down for this! Fantasy consoles/arcade machines are always a thing I enjoy.
Hey, didn't think of it as a fantasy console but I do love what's made with pico8 and a fantasy vector console would be a project I could get behind.

Regarding mechanics, it's hard to say without playing it at all. From the screens it looks like something I'd want to get my hands on before offering any particular comments. Are there random elements (hah) to the behavior of the antimatter or any other bits? If everything is based on player execution that might be good for the front half of the game but may lack the depth/replayability. Also, is the switch to/from low-energy ammo under player control? Can you always switch back and forth at will? You're off to a very cool start but I think there's more design space for you to explore.

The switch is under player control and the only random element is in the initial movement vector of scattered particles. Antimatter acts just as ordinary matter but either kills you or demotes your element when run into. As to depth and replayability, I'm going for a leaderboard system, ranked by time and spent energy per element you build. The game difficulty is very player-driven and you only get to climb the leadeboards when you either multitask or get really lucky photon spamming.

I'm considering leaving out the electrons and the energy switch because my brain just shuts down if it needs to do this much multitasking in a game.

And I do appreciate puns, thank you. Gentleman

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 11:55:01 PM »

Blink

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
interrit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 04:02:50 AM »

Visual update.

I’ve been focusing on visuals because the storefronts need their assets and they will need to be set up way in advance of release. For a project small enough, the time delays in creating a Steam page pile up to a significant amount of development time. The implication is that representative visuals and store copy will have to be created some time before the development and perhaps the final gameplay are complete. Which is a challenge in itself.

As to the geometry of the arcade machine, I found that photos of missile guidance systems are a closer reference than any arcade machines that actually existed. Also added recently - animated controls.

I was anxious about the graphic design part of the machine but then I found the perfect typeface and it kind of just worked out.

interrit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 11:33:06 PM »

Another visual update, this one needs one more little iteration, some edges to bevel and the numeric displays need labels.

interrit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 07:08:45 AM »

Playing around with simplifying the mechanics. While I love the visuals of electrons that home into the closest element, switching between modes of energy to generate them is too much gameplay hassle for a little arcade game.

I’m testing two different variants of gameplay.
Proton only, where you generate element nuclei from protons and electrons are just visual fluff.
Automatic energy switching, where you can not fire high energy photons while you’re an ion (missing some electrons).

These variants are very different gameplay wise. While the former is a straightforward collect-em-up, the latter introduces an element of pacing and either leaving some particles on the arena for as long as possible. Ultimately it’s a tradeoff between approachability and tactical depth.

Here’s a visual update, added labels to VFD stats and am programming camera positions for some fun metagame.

Here’s a 70s magazine ad for the arcade machine, thought it be fitting for a 70s arcade machine.

interrit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 11:31:30 AM »

Hello there!

Getting some UI work done, trying to fit most of it onto the single machine.

The element name now shows up in place of your time and energy stats.

One of the main game mechanics includes configuring your game to maximize your scores.

Leaderboards are gonna be tricky but gives me an excuse to go ridiculous (as if I ever needed one).

interrit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 11:33:35 AM »

This week I learned that while you may perfectly well develop on a low spec machine, it's the trailer that gets ya. Screen capture and video editing pose a pretty hefty requirement on your workstation.

Here's the trailer!

jg.camarasa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 12:22:03 PM »

The aesthetics on this are just awesome, great work!

interrit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 04:04:20 AM »

Thank you for the kind words!

Also update: I got Steam page approved, now you can wishlist Kollidoskop! if so desired.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/801420/Kollidoskop/

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 04:38:38 AM »

plz steal wiping screen mechanic from Metro. Like steam or condensation gathering on the screen (with physically accurate refraction on water beads of course)

EvilKYO
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 07:44:36 AM »

Wooow, this looks very interesting, i saw your video over and over again. I love the osciloscope looks and the retro joystick and button.

I cant wait to check it out! Awesome work
interrit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 10:48:02 AM »

plz steal wiping screen mechanic from Metro. Like steam or condensation gathering on the screen (with physically accurate refraction on water beads of course)

That sounds actually kind of brilliant given that the game is already busy with some meta actions. I will write it down just in case...

Wooow, this looks very interesting, i saw your video over and over again. I love the osciloscope looks and the retro joystick and button.

I cant wait to check it out! Awesome work

Thanks! I hope I don't end up spending too long making it. It's difficult because I keep playing it instead of developing.

Hand Any KeyNo No NOHand Joystick

interrit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 08:42:39 AM »

Hello there! Long time no update. Took a while to integrate Steamworks (not a fun process, not much to show or write about) and a much needed vacation in Croatia.

Right now I'm searching for people to run a few rounds of beta tests.

If you want to help out, you can let me know right here or sign up on the following GDPR-ized page. Do mention tigs in the message field to definitely get a Steam key.
http://eepurl.com/duNxgr

I'll send out the keys in a week or two, no hurry. Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic