Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:39:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioVoiced Dialogue Triggers and avoiding overlapping / double triggering
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Voiced Dialogue Triggers and avoiding overlapping / double triggering  (Read 868 times)
DreamHarvest
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2018, 05:10:59 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently implementing some voiced dialogue call-outs for our game, Failure: NeuroSlicers.
This dialogue triggers based on a number of events happening during a match and includes the following lines:

Select a card in deck:

- XXXXXX Selected
- XXXXXX

Base under attack:

- Your Access Node is Under Attack
- The Enemy Is Attacking Your Access Node
- Protect Your Access Node
- Access Node Under Attack

Building Destroyed:

- XXXXXX Destroyed
- A XXXXXX Has Been Destroyed

There's lots of other lines that trigger when objectives go online, when they're captured and we also have some "Total Information" lines that help the player know what the enemy is doing.

Anyway, my question is in regards to how to best deal with all of these lines and make sure that we're not getting cues triggering on top of each other, double triggers / abused triggers (for instance when the player quickly switches between selected cards).

My current thoughts are the following:
1. Make use of priorities in FMOD
2. Limit voices from the Dialogue group (though we're finding this is causing some weird trigger issues)

and do the following in code:
1. Voice Line Triggers
2. If another voice line triggers while first is playing then second line is put in a queue
3. If a third line triggers before the first line has finished then third line is added to queue but second line is removed from queue.
4. However, if second line has higher priority, then it is not removed from queue and instead line 3 is removed from queue
5. if both line 2 and 3 have same priority then line 2 is removed from queue.

Do any of you have a better solution to this problem?

Thanks
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic