Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:13:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat's your ultimate idea for a game?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: What's your ultimate idea for a game?  (Read 4129 times)
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2018, 02:08:23 AM »

the problem is that you know what all items do and whats next.
You played the game and passed tutorials and trials, you crossed the line of mastery and now its just you going back for bigger challenge.
I was kinda frustrated for the first hours of oot because it was all about slingshot and nuts, cant imagine whats gonna happen to player who plays most of the game without shield for example.
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2018, 01:23:34 PM »

the problem is that you know what all items do and whats next.
You played the game and passed tutorials and trials, you crossed the line of mastery and now its just you going back for bigger challenge.

While this is true for OoT / ALttP randomizers, I think if an entire game were designed around this then it would be fine. Some things would probably need to be simplified to make a first playthrough enjoyable; for example, in OoT randomizer there's a bunch of settings to turn off the Door of Time, open up the forest from the start, etc. and these are all byproducts of it being built off of an entirely linear-focused game. When designing something like this from scratch those kind of pitfalls could be avoided. I mean, we already have roguelikes which in addition to giving you completely random weapons, randomize the layouts of locations. I don't think it would be too challenging.

I was kinda frustrated for the first hours of oot because it was all about slingshot and nuts, cant imagine whats gonna happen to player who plays most of the game without shield for example.

Well, the thing is that OoT is a really easy game already so it kinda lends itself to this. The challenge in playing most of the game without a shield isn't that it's hard without a shield, it's finding out what you can and can't do without the shield. It forces you to explore the world more than you normally would. That's the whole appeal of randomizers too me which is why I think it would make an interesting original concept.

Sea Jay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2018, 05:28:35 AM »

To be honest, I don't know. I've got ideas, but they're all just little scraps in my notebook. Nothing I'd consider "the ultimate idea".

Beyond any hyperbole, I'd like to make a fighting game someday. No idea what form it'd take or how I'd stand out, but it would be an awful lot of work. I guess that'd be "the ultimate" in terms of sheer scale.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic