Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:19:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Historical Games (Kingdom Come Deliverance, Mount & Blade, Elderscrolls)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Historical Games (Kingdom Come Deliverance, Mount & Blade, Elderscrolls)  (Read 1103 times)
Charlie123
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2018, 05:16:24 AM »

Does anyone round here enjoy games like Kingdom Come Deliverance, Elderscrolls: Offline (pseudo-historical), and Mount & Blade?
I want to talk to other devs about making games like that.

P.S. I'm keeping the first post nice & simple so won't include the affirmation that I fully understand the scale of such an undertaking.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 06:55:44 AM »

ultima ratio regum attempts to create game with procgn history and cultures, but it stuck in development it seems
Kingdom Come looks like quintessential eurotrash rpg so far
Charlie123
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 08:09:13 AM »

Kingdom Come Deliverance is pretty good from what I played so far which isn't a lot as it only came out a few days ago and I've been hard at work since then. Had a look at Ultima Regnum, it said something about it being a ten year project! Shocked
tbh I'm not into pixel art, 2D, retro etc. I don't understand the appeal or why most indie devs tend to favor the style though I'd love if someone explained it to me
TonyLi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 08:14:01 AM »

Assassin's Creed Origins' Discovery Tour mode has been getting some buzz. As this Polygon article points out, it's also a good study in the design changes they made between historical mode and gameplay mode to make it fun as a game.

I've thought for a while that immersive 3D environments, and especially VR, could be a great supplemental teaching aid.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 09:15:48 AM »

Kingdom Come Deliverance is pretty good from what I played so far which isn't a lot as it only came out a few days ago and I've been hard at work since then. Had a look at Ultima Regnum, it said something about it being a ten year project! Shocked
tbh I'm not into pixel art, 2D, retro etc. I don't understand the appeal or why most indie devs tend to favor the style though I'd love if someone explained it to me
if youre not using premade assets, you would need at least 3 people fulltime to handle modern 3d level pipeline, and i dont think its enough. And its just art and object placement. And its probably far from quality and quantity of mid-tier AAA.
Charlie123
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 03:29:11 AM »

Assassin's Creed Origins' Discovery Tour mode has been getting some buzz. As this Polygon article points out, it's also a good study in the design changes they made between historical mode and gameplay mode to make it fun as a game.

I've thought for a while that immersive 3D environments, and especially VR, could be a great supplemental teaching aid.
That's a very interesting article TonyLi I read the whole thing. Did you read the bit about the toothache? I agree that they definitely have the potential to be great teaching aids. May I ask whether you're a teacher, content developer or both? Smiley
Charlie123
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 03:42:57 AM »

if youre not using premade assets, you would need at least 3 people fulltime to handle modern 3d level pipeline, and i dont think its enough. And its just art and object placement. And its probably far from quality and quantity of mid-tier AAA.
I thought it was the art style they preferred but it makes sense if they chose it because its an easier art style for a one-man-band to pull off. 
TonyLi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 06:19:32 AM »

That's a very interesting article TonyLi I read the whole thing. Did you read the bit about the toothache? I agree that they definitely have the potential to be great teaching aids. May I ask whether you're a teacher, content developer or both? Smiley
I'm a developer now. The details about the bread and the toothache animation impressed me. It's not something I would've expected from a game about sneaking into places to murder everyone. Kingdom Come is in my queue to play. I wonder if it will have any similarly insightful little slices of life, or if it's only practical to devote resources to things like that if you have a gazillion people on staff like Ubisoft.
Charlie123
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 01:51:52 PM »

Or if it's only practical to devote resources to things like that if you have a gazillion people on staff like Ubisoft

Ha well yeah but if you point out what you've done then it becomes a cool little marketing ploy. People will say to their friends: "The level of detail; they even made toothache anims because of stone chips in the bread."  Cheesy
What are you developing at the moment; a history-based project?
TonyLi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 10:33:59 AM »

I'm not working on a history-based project, although I'd like to tackle a Sumerian-inspired game one day. Currently I develop narrative AI middleware and am tech lead on a dystopian horror game. Are you or anyone on this thread working on any historical projects?

BTW, I've bookmarked this video to watch later today: youtu.be/ANQL5z_JEpQ

I'm curious to hear his analysis. (I have no idea how to link to a video here. :-) Add http in front of the URL above.)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:41:19 AM by TonyLi » Logged
TonyLi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 07:18:03 AM »

Interesting post on RPS: Assassin's Creed Origins' Discovery Tour mode censors statues' nipples and genitalia with seashells. Another interesting example of how history is always viewed through one cultural lens or another.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic