Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 10:54:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)How to achieve this animation?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to achieve this animation?  (Read 708 times)
indie11
Level 2

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2018, 01:40:45 AM »

I am just wondering as to how this animation can be achieved.

https://codepen.io/jenning/full/bZxyLJ

What I understand is, there is some use of sine wave in this, just so the whole motion is synchronized. The other approach is to just interpolate 3 balls with delay but I believe that it won't exactly be the motion I want to achieve as the time delay would be constant.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 05:26:50 AM »

I guess the basic formula is y = sin(time + x) * maxDistance and then you'll just have to play with time dilation and multiplication of x to get the exact result you want.

jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 01:13:28 PM »

Um...it's on codepen, so you can look at the source and see how it works...just click the Change View button. It's using a CSS animation on an infinite loop, translating down and back (keyframe at 50% time with translateY(200%)) using the CSS ease-in-out transition.  It's a 1-second cycle, with each ball delayed by 0.1 seconds.

So it's not actually a sine curve, it's a cubic bezier.  AFAICT the control points for ease-in-out are (0, 0), (0.42, 0), (0.58, 1), (1, 1). It's a bit of a nuisance to animate in one dimension (i.e. y as a function of x) using a 2D Bezier curve (in which both y and x are a function of a parameter t which goes from zero to one).  So I'd just use a sine curve with a one second period and a one-tenth second offset: it will be easier.

To elaborate on what Princessa said: y = halfHeight * sin(2*PI * (elapsed_seconds - delay_seconds)/seconds_per_cycle)

Or in this case: y = halfHeight * sin(2*PI * (elapsed_seconds - 0.1*index))

If you want to animate with the Bezier, I've usually converted the curve to a series of line segments using the algorithm in Zhang and Ma's 2006 paper, which looks a bit scary at first glance but isn't that much code (my demo here).  Or you could maybe solve for the y value for each x value with Newton's method or something? Bezier curves can turn back on themselves, so in general you'd have to watch out for that.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic