Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 11:01:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingVivid! 1.5.2 Demo [New Combat Update!]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Vivid! 1.5.2 Demo [New Combat Update!]  (Read 901 times)
LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 17, 2018, 01:43:04 PM »

UPDATE: Now on version 1.5.2! Haven't update this thread in a while, but there are many new features in this demo along with several fixes and improved quality.

There is now an improved combat system featuring new moves for your different attacks (Pause to check, only for the first 3 main weapons for now).

https://twitter.com/LucasMaxBros/status/983469457535221766

Vivid! is a colorful action-packed platformer where your color dictates some of your actions, such as your attacks and abilities. Been working on it with Game Maker: Studio for over 3 years.

This demo has a Tutorial Stage and one Main Stage for you to play through. There is quite a bit of content, as well as a ranking system setup for the main stage. If you want to get the highest ranking, you'll need to get a high enough score, collect all 5 Love Collectibles, and finish it in 3:40. In addition, when you complete the main stage at least once, you'll have the ability to try out different weapons as well as swap to the other character, Spirit!(Press Y on controller/Z on keyboard). Just keep in mind this other character wasn't built in mind for these stages, but can be fun to play with.

As for feedback, we're just looking out for anything that might need fixing or could be improved for general audiences. Still looking into what details some players pick up naturally or not, along with difficulty balancing.

NOTE: You can change your controls to anything! Whether it's Keyboard or the Controller, they can be binded to just about anything. Just remember this demo doesn't have any saves, so if you quit those custom controls are gone! But they only take 5 seconds to setup!
This game has analog stick support. And we recommend playing this game with a controller, but a keyboard will work fine too.

Currently only for Windows, but hope to support other modules with the help of a future KickStarter!
Follow on Twitter for updates about the game: https://twitter.com/LucasMaxBros
If you'd like to learn more about Vivid, we have some blogs about the making of it: https://lucasmaxbros.wordpress.com/
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 02:37:55 AM by LucasMaxBros » Logged

LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 03:44:22 AM »

Awesome! Got posted on a site with a little video of them playing it: https://www.alphabetagamer.com/vivid-beta-demo/

bynine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 08:05:32 PM »

hello! i played your game. the graphics and music are charming and the gameplay feels good. it's really difficult to play, however. a lot of things are unintuitive; holding jump to land on the boxes to change color, having to press jump exactly when landing on an enemy to change color, the abilities of each color, only being able to double jump after running off a cliff... just one of those things would be fine but the sum total of all of them makes just trying to play the game feel like a chore. kirby benefits from a simple design where a is jumping maneuvers and b is attack, and each attack's mechanics and functionality are informed by what the ability is. meanwhile, here mechanics are completely arbitrary.

https://bynine.itch.io/ - check out my games here!
LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 09:31:06 PM »

hello! i played your game. the graphics and music are charming and the gameplay feels good. it's really difficult to play, however. a lot of things are unintuitive; holding jump to land on the boxes to change color, having to press jump exactly when landing on an enemy to change color, the abilities of each color, only being able to double jump after running off a cliff... just one of those things would be fine but the sum total of all of them makes just trying to play the game feel like a chore. kirby benefits from a simple design where a is jumping maneuvers and b is attack, and each attack's mechanics and functionality are informed by what the ability is. meanwhile, here mechanics are completely arbitrary.

Thanks for playing. When I say "Kirby-like", I primarily mean in looks and style. In terms of gameplay, while it does take a few aspects from kirby, this game actually takes elements mainly from Castlevania!
But the unintuitiveness you've felt will be noted. Though it may stem from the design of the demo stage being very open to what you can do. I have it set up so you can tackle things in several different ways, the only thing you're required to do is the Colored Block trick. Everything else (Midair-jump, grabbing an enemies color, etc) is up to you. There's nothing taxing you to use these other mechanics, but we do expect the player to experiment at their own pace.
We will make it so these concepts are managed and introduced at a gradual pace over several levels.

LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 02:38:38 AM »

Bumping up for new update! Lots of new stuff and improvements since 1.4 demo!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic