Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:29:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTales of Tera Sanud: A 2.5D Narrative Action Game with Southeast Asian Culture
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tales of Tera Sanud: A 2.5D Narrative Action Game with Southeast Asian Culture  (Read 4345 times)
Sanud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 17, 2018, 06:30:03 PM »

Latest GIFS:

STORY:
In a fantasy world inspired by Southeast Asian culture and folklore, you play as someone falsely accused of defacing a sacred icon from the Salib, an influential religion in Sidadi Sanud. Because you happen to be of the Gentos race, the powers that may be could sentence you to the gallows unless you have evidence to clear your name.

While waiting to present your case, explore the world of Tera Sanud in its main city, Sidadi Sanud, and interact with its locals to learn more about the societal structures that keep it together alongside the magical forces that lurk within. Banish menacing creatures from the physical plane, take up some odd jobs to earn cowries, and do whatever it takes to blend in with the rest of Tera Sanud’s society.

The game will be separated into episodes - similar to how Rusty Lake, Life is Strange, Bendy and the Ink Machine etc. tells its stories.

This game will also be an effort to revitalise Kristang, an endangered Malay-Portuguese creole based in Malacca and Singapore. More info at the Endangered Languages Project and Kodrah Kristang.

Planned Features: (These may change according to my abilities and timeline  Embarrassed )
  • Kristang localisation, to revitalise a dying Malay-Portuguese creole
  • Over 50 combinations of clothes and hairstyles
  • Real-time minimalist combat (charge and release to attack)
  • Cowries and peppers to collect, and NPCs that will react to how much you have
  • Unique creatures to fight from Southeast Asian folklore
  • Explore hub maps in Sidadi Sanud
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 11:53:05 PM by Sanud » Logged

Agora ta fazeh/Now making:
Narativa di Tera Sanud/Tales of Tera Sanud

pun ja fazeh/also made For Emery
Sanud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 06:31:56 PM »

To do list (18 Feb 2018):

- keep going for Kristang classes (starting in March) & write Kristang version of game description
- art assets for the guards
- dialogue system that integrates with the current localisation system in unity tutorial
- tutorial system at the very beginning
- first cutscene of the game
- D-pad controls for UI
- ask for help in getting the google sheets file to export as JSON
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 07:21:55 PM by Sanud » Logged

Sanud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 06:09:51 AM »

A quick wip of another level
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 03:13:09 AM by Sanud » Logged

Sanud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 06:08:27 AM »

Updates on previous tasklist:

To do list (18 Feb 2018):

- keep going for Kristang classes (starting in March) & write Kristang version of game description
- art assets for the guards (diverted to art assets of villagers)
DONE - dialogue system that integrates with the current localisation system in unity tutorial
DONE - tutorial system at the very beginning
- first cutscene of the game
- D-pad controls for UI
DONE - ask for help in getting the google sheets file to export as JSON

To do list (27 Feb 2018)
- Go to class! Bai na lisang!
- animate dialogue box text (and figure out if it affects the current architecture)
- art assets of guards
- first cutscene of game
- D-pad controls of UI

Sanud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 05:08:10 PM »

To do list (27 Feb 2018)
GOING - Go to class! Bai na lisang!
DONE - animate dialogue box text (and figure out if it affects the current architecture)
DONE - art assets of guards
(and also its prefabs)
- first cutscene of game
- D-pad controls of UI

To do list (7 Mar 2018)
- redo the combat mechanic slightly to include a quick stun before charging
- input player character's name
- first cutscene of game
- D-pad controls for UI
- Build a small scene that would require name input and customisation

thereallinnea
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 04:50:31 AM »

Looks really good and unique!

Bestest of luck to you  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin
Sanud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 01:40:16 AM »

Looks really good and unique!

Bestest of luck to you  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin

Thanks!  Grin

To do list (7 Mar 2018)
DONE - redo the combat mechanic slightly to include a quick stun before charging
Ongoing - input player character's name
Kinda stuck >.< - first cutscene of game
90% done? - D-pad controls for UI
DONE - Build a small scene that would require name input and customisation

Lots of bug squashing involved this week - seems like adding new features that play around with similar variables like timeScale does affect a few things :Y

Kind of dreading working on the first cutscene (and then figuring a way to seamlessly link all of the levels together). As it stands, the loading screen is a little buggy. And...I am apprehensive of animating cutscenes with this new format, what with having to work with full body sprites and making sure each one of those parts don't overlap in a weird way.

If I'm feeling particularly uninspired/lazy I think I may want to just go the For Emery route of drawing comic pages again (and even then drawing every single panel can be really tedious)

To do list (11 March 2018)
Ongoing - Kristang classes
Ongoing - player's name input - test it and see if it works
- First cutscene
- D-pads/arrow key controls of UI (so close to finishing save for the pause menu bug)
- Find placeholder music or actual musicians. Has to have Balinese/Javanese/Malay overtones. Thinking about gamelans but do people make midis of these? :Y

Sanud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 07:33:05 AM »

Updates on to do list:

If I'm feeling particularly uninspired/lazy I think I may want to just go the For Emery route of drawing comic pages again (and even then drawing every single panel can be really tedious)

To do list (11 March 2018)
Ongoing - First cutscene
Procrastinated - D-pads/arrow key controls of UI (so close to finishing save for the pause menu bug)
25% done - Find placeholder music or actual musicians. Has to have Balinese/Javanese/Malay overtones. Thinking about gamelans but do people make midis of these? :Y

Firstly, TAKE THAT, PAST ME! I am doing the cutscene in a new format instead of hacking it up with comic pages. Though I might still think about using some of this down the line for dramatic effect?

But with this new system it also means quite a time sink spent on working out a pipeline that would help with later parts of cutscene production. Was introduced briefly to The Dip by Seth Godin. I guess we all do go through a dip at one point, and I'm currently in one.

Found some placeholder music and doing some talking to freelance musicians. Otherwise I've also hacked up some of my (embarrassingly empty sounding) music to use for now. (If I have time to figure out how to use a site like soundcloud, I miiiiiight share these to gather feedback?)

Tasklist is the same as last week. May also start to speak to the local Bugis communities, no matter how uncomfortable I feel about meeting new people for inputs (think dip). I think having a second pair of eyes would do good in picking out worldbuilding details. Otherwise, there's still the people at Kodrah Kristang to fall back into.

Sanud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 04:29:56 PM »

Updates on to do list:

To do list (28 March 2018)
DONE - First cutscene
80% - D-pads/arrow key controls of UI (pause menu bug and main menu cycle)
25% done - Find placeholder music or actual musicians. Has to have Balinese/Javanese/Malay overtones. Thinking about gamelans but do people make midis of these? :Y

The first cutscene was hell. 2-3 weeks of work before it was considered done and dusted. I sometimes wonder about the patience all animators have about doing their work. Haven't had the chance to get musicians to do the work yet so that's on hold.

I'm also very tempted to modify the art style of the characters a bit

To do list (2 April 2018)
- BUGS: text typing - why isn't it working like before?
- BUGS: Language selection - why can you only select once? Check playerprefs, don't destroy on load, and stuff
- D-pads/arrow key controls of UI (pause menu bug and main menu cycle)
- Find placeholder music or actual musicians or make your own
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 04:57:31 PM by Sanud » Logged

Sanud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 05:06:25 PM »

Updates on to do list:

To do list (2 April 2018)
DONE - BUGS: Language selection - why can you only select once? Check playerprefs, don't destroy on load, and stuff
DONE - D-pads/arrow key controls of UI (I think?!)
Ongoing - Find placeholder music or actual musicians or make your own

Major props to bf for fixing the language selection bug! I've been procrastinating other code-y things though :Y

Oh look! I actually added some outlines to make the characters pop! And I'm animating the Elder's "talking" animation here. Guess this week's more on crafting out the various NPCs to populate the area more. But I still need to add one more cutscene ( Hand Shake Left Crazy Hand Shake Right) and perhaps a small level (maybe?) that can seamlessly go from cutscene 1 to the forest-y level.

To do list (9 April 2018)
- Design & animate at least 3 other NPCs
- Draw & animate cutscene 1b
Stuff I've procrastinated:
- Update the current JSON files on localisation
- player's name input - test it and see if it works
Ongoing - Find placeholder music or actual musicians or make your own, and put them in the damn levels

Sanud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 01:14:02 AM »

Updates on to do list:

To do list (9 April 2018)
DONE - Design & animate at least 3 other NPCs
DONE - Update the current JSON files on localisation
DONE - player's name input - test it and see if it works
Ongoing - Find placeholder music or actual musicians or make your own, and put them in the damn levels

I got distracted by a little side project and it took a little bit more time than expected (was anticipating to finish it in 5 days, but here it is 6 days later and still not done)

But I do need to draw more clothes to clothe the player and get that comic cutscene down stat! After those things are done I'll need to figure out how to progressively allow players to unlock the clothes by exploring/doing side quests. That, aaand I need to start designing the bazaar level too.

To do list:
- Art assets - player's clothes

Sanud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 08:05:44 PM »

Updates:
To do list (21 April 2018)
80% - Draw & animate cutscene 1b, need to find SFX pronto
DONE - Art assets - player's clothes

Quick updates as I realised I haven't updated in a while. Transitory periods suck on time like leeches. :\

Sanud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 07:41:51 AM »

Wanted to do a quick post that shows a comparison in the current art style and combat system vs the original one.

Original:

Current:

The current sprites now have a slight outline added which helps to give it a bit of pop. There are more tweening frames for the jump and stun animations. Stunning and attacking are two completely different buttons now as opposed to holding and then releasing to attack. Jumping also feels better as it doesn't feel like a float downwards (the second original GIF was sped up so the jump looked like it felt nice)

And yes, you can still customise your character lol.

Sanud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2018, 07:40:09 PM »

Updates:
To do list (21 April 2018)
DONE - Draw & animate cutscene 1b, need to find SFX pronto (totally lying to myself heret)
DONE - Art assets - player's clothes
- BUGS: text typing - why isn't it working like before? The game should work fine without this feature...(or I'm lazy)
Up to planned alpha demo - Find placeholder music or actual musicians or make your own, and put them in the damn levels

Haven't updated the devlog in a while, but it's about time I start a new set of checklists to do while adding whatever stuff I've already done since July. I took a break from mid-May to end of June to sort my life out. After a bit of soul searching, I think it's much better if I kept this project as something on the side rather than diving into it full time. I explain more on this Medium post.

Stuff I've done in July:
- Juice up the combat by adding strike particle effects and a blade swing.
- Actually completing the players' clothing set and adding it into the UI
- Added and fixed a new enemy type that burps out toxic air and blurs vision temporarily.
- Fixed the bugs on button inputs on a specific level
- Created a better system for the drop shadow
- Added more dialogue lines in Kristang and Malay

And now, here's the to-do list for the upcoming fortnight/month. Hopefully this leads up to said alpha demo that I can put up in October (though setting this kind of vague deadline is also probably a bad idea. I can explain more in an upcoming Medium post)

To-do list (29 July 2018)
- Find SFX for attacks, jumps, monsters, etc
- Animate or create some environmental "juice" when a mini quest is completed (I'm torn between doing a DOMO style "level up" animation and the Mario Odyssey's background applause *insert why not both meme and then die from overworking*)
- Create cutscene 2, which means a whole sublist of:
  - Create the prefabs of the two new NPCs to introduce
  - Create the new level that can allow this cutscene to happen
  - Set up the Shop's UI
- Write an eBook accompaniment to the alpha demo launch.

Sanud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2018, 11:44:55 PM »

Updates:
To-do list (29 July 2018)
80% - Find SFX for attacks, jumps, monsters, etc
50% - Animate or create some environmental "juice" when a mini quest is completed (So far I've done up the SFX for completing a quest. Think I'll add some simple particle system alongside the quest complete juice)
- Create cutscene 2, which means a whole sublist of:
  - Create the prefabs of the two new NPCs to introduce
  - Create the new level that can allow this cutscene to happen
  - Set up the Shop's UI
30% - Write an eBook accompaniment to the alpha demo launch.

Current task list is not as different as the post last week. I do need to add a few more lines for the Elder though.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic