Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:19:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpace Game Testing Grounds (working title)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Space Game Testing Grounds (working title)  (Read 10376 times)
Kevycat
Level 0

I'm just a cat.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 04:54:36 PM »

I notice that now the slider will only go negative if you use the e key but not if you drag it with your mouse.
 Hand Any Key

Kornel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 11:20:12 PM »

True, but it never did go negative Wink

There will be a button to go in to reverse via UI. I'm also thinking of adding a key for reverse (or double press the throttle down button) so that it would be easier to use "normal" speeds without unintentionally going in to reverse. Reverse then would be an 0/1 state - you are in reverse or you are not (just one reverse speed).

I will have to build it and test it to know for sure (and of course I invite you to test it with me, once the build is done).

For now there is little to play with in the game, so speed control feels like a "big feature". But please imagine many ships, lasers flying all over the place, abilities, power management and whatever else there will be and then you also have to worry about not going in to reverse.

Kornel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2018, 08:37:30 AM »

Today I wanted to do something visual, so I added...

Update 015 - Trails
* [added] First version of engine trail added.

As always any and all constructive feedback is highly welcomed Smiley

Undomi12
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2018, 08:39:43 AM »

oh that's shaping up nicely. have you found a way or know a way to make those floating blocks clickable (as in when ya click,something happens)?
Kornel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2018, 08:53:00 AM »

oh that's shaping up nicely. have you found a way or know a way to make those floating blocks clickable (as in when ya click,something happens)?

Thanks, Undomi12 Smiley

I will probably use Physics Raycast. It was most reliable for me in the past.

Undomi12
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2018, 08:58:31 AM »

Thanks, Undomi12 Smiley

I will probably use Physics Raycast. It was most reliable for me in the past.

raycasting is so confusing for my math addled brain. was trying to implement a raycaster that could run in a browser window, into my webgame but notta clue how to add to or modify it beyond changing pre-existing textures. so now i'm trying to simulate 3d movement with nothing but image zoom scripts lol your ship runs so nice and smooth in 3d space.  you dont know how lucky you are that you can understand programming languages.
Kornel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2018, 10:36:27 AM »

I'm grateful for that, or at least I try to be. Then again when I see someone producing beautiful 2d or 3d art I can't help to think the same way you do Undecided

As for your issue: what are you using? Pure JavaScript, Unity? You said browser - so I guess JS, which is not my strong language, but perhaps together we can somehow resolve your issue.

Undomi12
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2018, 10:48:46 AM »

I'm grateful for that, or at least I try to be. Then again when I see someone producing beautiful 2d or 3d art I can't help to think the same way you do Undecided

As for your issue: what are you using? Pure JavaScript, Unity? You said browser - so I guess JS, which is not my strong language, but perhaps together we can somehow resolve your issue.

aww dont want to focus on my stuff in your thread. i will say however, i'm not using a game engine of any kind. just cobbling together whatever free scripts i can find that'll do the trick. will give you an example that i'm currently using https://codepen.io/ge1doot/pen/XXJNov (its not my script. that is not my game.just using the script). prolly better if you respond in my thread or send a pm or something. i feel bad that i have taken your thread off topic (which is your game!)
Kornel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2018, 11:42:20 AM »

prolly better if you respond in my thread or send a pm or something. i feel bad that i have taken your thread off topic (which is your game!)

Roger that Smiley Heading there!

Kornel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2018, 12:17:54 AM »

I've noticed now that it's only possible to do negative speed with the e key, but the mouse control doesn't go below zero.

It was never possible to do so, I never manged to get it working that way because there will be a raising power bar (that I'm working on) and I had trouble to get it to do negative (and it I'm still working on it doing positive numbers the way I want).

There is also the issue of how to set exactly 0% when you are off by even a little you'll get a reverse.

I think I wrote somewhere above about a button to go in to reverse via UI. I was also thinking of adding a key for reverse (or double press the throttle down button) so that it would be easier to use "normal" speeds without unintentionally going in to reverse. Reverse then would be an 0/1 state - you are in reverse or you are not (just one reverse speed).

I'm open to any and all suggestions

Kornel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2018, 12:23:00 PM »

Hi everyone!

Building on my earlier post I did today this:

Update 016 - Shortcuts
* [added] You can double-press Q to set maximum throttle (when at 0) and 0 when at negative throttle.
* [added] You can double-press E to set minimum throttle (when at 0) and 0 when at positive throttle.

It's not perfect, and I feel I've reached some limits of the current ship controller script. In other worlds in the coming days I will have to refactor some of it to make it simpler, more modular and allow me to move faster.

Kornel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2018, 11:37:04 PM »

Din't have the time yesterday to do a GIF, so here it is today Smiley

Kornel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2018, 08:02:21 AM »

Howdy folks!

Today's updates:

Update 017 - Changes and fixes
* [added] Engine trail now recognizes speed changes and tries it's best to only show itself when moving forward Wink
* [fixed] Double key press bug, where it would ignore the time window between presses and always register a second press, has been squashed.
* [changed][internal] Unity services and analytics are now turn on, it's my first time using them and I'm curious how they can help the game be better.
* [changed][internal] Work has started on a proper key bindging solution and separation of it from the rest of the game.

Kevycat
Level 0

I'm just a cat.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2018, 04:56:05 PM »

Oops. I hadn't seen page two, so I had thought my replies weren't apearing.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 06:25:49 PM by Kevycat » Logged

Kornel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2018, 12:15:14 AM »

Oops. I hadn't seen page two, so I had thought my replies weren't apearing.

It happens Grin

Glade you're back Smiley

Kornel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2018, 08:10:35 AM »

Hi all,

A quick update today.

Update 018 - Stop/Reverse
* [added] A button below throttle now allows the UI to set the reverse direction and stop the ship.
* [changed][internal] More work on a key manager and bindings.

Kornel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2018, 02:26:36 PM »

And today something different (Update 019):

The above image is a mind map of this game. It's been part of the things I've been working on the last few days (hence no updates).

This project is still young but despite of it I felt I've focused to much on the details and not enough on the bigger picture features.

As part of rectifying it I've created the above mind map - not a plan, not a feature list - more like a high level view of things I'd like to include and a general mood (or feel, if you will) of the game.

A map to guide me.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 02:40:33 PM by Kornel » Logged

Kevycat
Level 0

I'm just a cat.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2018, 07:53:38 PM »

That map is pretty cool. There's just one problem. It doesn't have enough resolution for me to read any more than "rules of engagement" and "space game".

Kornel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2018, 11:57:20 PM »

It was meant more as a sneak pick, sorry Kevycat I didn't indicate it clear enough Sad

Only few texts are in English, most of it is written in Polish (my native language) - so it would have little sense to post it in full rez on an English forum.

I should have more updates later today, so stay tuned folks Smiley

Kornel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2018, 10:34:07 AM »

Hello Gamers and Game Creators!

As promised a new shiny update today Smiley

Update 020 - New Lighting
* [added] Color grading in now added to enhance the colors.
* [changed] Material properties have been adjusted.
* [changed] Scene lighting has been adjusted.
* [changed] Slight color changes to the skybox.
* [changed][internal] More lights allowed per object and scene.

Above you can see the effects of my humble work on lighting in the scene - I plan to invest even more in to it so this is just the beginning!

Hope you like it and as always any and all constructive feedback is highly welcomed Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic