Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:30:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[We who are about to Die] Gladiator Simulator - Physics based combat (releasing)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: [We who are about to Die] Gladiator Simulator - Physics based combat (releasing)  (Read 4976 times)
JordyLakiere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 19, 2018, 09:41:36 AM »

UPDATE:

After a wild 7 years of development I'm very happy to announce the game will be releasing in Early Access in less than a month - november 15th.

If you're interested and want to help + get a notification, wishlisting is the best easiest way to do that: https://store.steampowered.com/app/973230/We_Who_Are_About_To_Die/

Check out the new trailer I made here! Exciting times :smile:

Hey all!

About time I posted here. I'm developing We who are about to Die, a PC game where you fight as as gladiator from arena to arena, trying to further and manage your career until you (likely - inevitably) die. Or... maybe you achieve freedom.

Game focuses on vigorous directional physics based combat, managment/RPG influences with earning gold and buying equipment and roguelike influences such as permadeath. Losing is fun!

I'm a main-job-professional artist and art teacher who has been dying to make a game since I was like 15 so I finally started solo developing this game. Engine is UE4.

It's my first title, and I'm already about halfway through I would say. Maybe 40%.

Links:
https://discord.gg/eCdUxht
https://twitter.com/JordyLakiere
https://www.reddit.com/r/WeWhoAreAboutToDie/
https://www.youtube.com/user/LakierosJordy (8+ video dev vlogs)
[not yet on steam, follow the subreddit or twitter for the easiest notification]

Feedback, critique, comments, ideas are all very welcome.

Enough words; here's some visuals, including some bugs Smiley.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 04:54:37 PM by JordyLakiere » Logged

One man developer on "We who are about to Die"
Subreddit
YT - Twitter
 - Discord

Portfolio:
www.jordylakiere.com
Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 08:18:54 AM »

That last gif (steering the shield) was amazing!
JordyLakiere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 10:33:57 AM »

Thank you!

Making great progress the last weeks Smiley

Added a camera assist, and team colours, weapon hit animation & sparks, more blood, a lot of behind-the-scenes work on item infrastructure, a slow motion feature (that costs lots of stamina), HP and stamina bar, arena progression on victory & gold reward on victory, dynamic prices for all items... etc etc etc... the list goes on!

https://i.imgur.com/1GyiT5T.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/4NTB2Ud.gifv

Subreddit
YT - Twitter
 - Discord

Portfolio:
www.jordylakiere.com
unknownSJN
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 07:52:12 AM »

The issue with permadeath is that if the control is not nice and precise then you will just end up with frustrated players.
JordyLakiere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 01:51:46 PM »

The issue with permadeath is that if the control is not nice and precise then you will just end up with frustrated players.

Exactly true. This is one of the biggest worries I have.
Trying to make the system responsive, technically sound (I can't afford to have inaccurate hitboxes etc) and fun as much as possible, and I'm adding several features to remedy the "I have to start over from scratch" issue.

Eg: you'll be able to invest money into your NEXT character. So on a run, you already invest (literally and "emotionally") into the next char and the bridge is less bad to gap.

Subreddit
YT - Twitter
 - Discord

Portfolio:
www.jordylakiere.com
JordyLakiere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 02:41:02 AM »

I added lots of new animation & combat system features to We who are about to Die, here's one! Really adds even more depth to the fights.

Subreddit
YT - Twitter
 - Discord

Portfolio:
www.jordylakiere.com
JordyLakiere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 05:34:46 AM »

Grand Stadium - Part 1! Blockout.

Here we gooooooo. On schedule is adding materials to the wall piece first, add some lighting and see how it looks before moving on.

Subreddit
YT - Twitter
 - Discord

Portfolio:
www.jordylakiere.com
JordyLakiere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 07:07:44 AM »

Grand Stadium update - still a mess, but progress!

Subreddit
YT - Twitter
 - Discord

Portfolio:
www.jordylakiere.com
JordyLakiere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 08:04:21 AM »

Here's update 3 on the grand stadium Smiley

And a sketch for a possible loading screen:

(needs more work)

Subreddit
YT - Twitter
 - Discord

Portfolio:
www.jordylakiere.com
JordyLakiere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 06:14:26 AM »

Making of the grand stadium level!

Also opened a discord for the game, feel free to pop in and idle or chat Smiley

https://discord.gg/eCdUxht
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 11:32:09 AM by JordyLakiere » Logged

Subreddit
YT - Twitter
 - Discord

Portfolio:
www.jordylakiere.com
CesarD8
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 03:40:46 PM »

It looks nice, I really dig the aesthetic of the game, reminds me of Swords and Sandals and I was a huge fan of that game. But how are the controls? at first glance I thought they looked a little cumbersome.

Tusky
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 09:25:34 PM »

Nice post, really interesting to see the process in creating the arena. I am also very pleased I can now draw an owl.  Gomez

Looking forward to giving this a go!

at first glance I thought they looked a little cumbersome.

Not sure how you can tell that. I'm sure it will probably will involve a bit more than clicking mob & mashing numbers
CesarD8
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 09:51:02 PM »

Well, because of the mouse orientation and dragging thingy, but to be honest there isn't much information and wanted to know a little bit more, that's why I asked Tongue

JordyLakiere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 11:45:48 AM »

Thanks guys!

CesarD8: Thanks! From testing most people get a decent grip on the controls in about 5 minutes after being explained a bit what the idea is. it's definitely something new, and more skill based, but I'm designing it to be fairly intuitive and just have tons o depth for those willing. If you're played mount & blade, the learning curve is a bit like that.
I will make videos and stuff that explain the combat system more in depth later on. The basic idea though is fairly simple. WASD moves your char, and your char faces the mouse. When you click & drag you kind of "pull the arm" to hold an attack ready from that direction. So click & drag left is a swing coming in from the left. When you release the mouse, the swing releases. Right mouse button puts up your shield or weapon for blocking. The only extra important bit is when you hover over an enemy you "soft lock" on them so it makes sense to keep your mouse cursor near your opponent (which you want to do anyway to orient to them)
Beyond that with shift you can sprint, you can shieldbash with CTRL, you can hop in a certain direction with WASD and spacebar or double tapping WASD, all secondary combat features.

Tusky: Thanks, glad you like the owl tutorial! Wink

Be sure to join the discord if you'd like to be a playtester in the beta, down the road.

Subreddit
YT - Twitter
 - Discord

Portfolio:
www.jordylakiere.com
JordyLakiere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 10:26:37 AM »

Final on the Grand Stadium:

Also - 
​​​​​​​
1 - Dat feel when you design a combat system that generates unplanned combos, like doing the right input for a twirl plus the right attack direction yields a faster attack and so a stronger hit! This actually works. And I never intended it to.

2 - Have a listen to one of the AMAZING tracks made for the game by my good friend Marius Schlichting Seriously. Listen. It's amazing. This especially makes the game "real" for me. So good. Also enjoy the semi-dancing twirl gif to go with the music 

https://soundcloud.com/…/whe-who-are-about-to-die-battle-tr…

PLEASE give some props to Marius. That track is so spot on with my vision for the combat music, I can barely believe it.

Subreddit
YT - Twitter
 - Discord

Portfolio:
www.jordylakiere.com
CesarD8
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2018, 12:26:29 PM »

The basic idea though is fairly simple. WASD moves your char, and your char faces the mouse. When you click & drag you kind of "pull the arm" to hold an attack ready from that direction. So click & drag left is a swing coming in from the left. When you release the mouse, the swing releases. Right mouse button puts up your shield or weapon for blocking.

That sounds fun, that type of control feels way more rewarding when you know what you are doing. I'll definitely keep an eye on this  Smiley

Juwdah
Level 2

he he he

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 02:54:07 AM »

Didn't know you had a TIGsource! Nice way of keeping everything gathered  Smiley

Keep up the good work!  Gomez

JordyLakiere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2018, 10:55:06 AM »

@CesarD8 thank you!
@Juwdah yep I try to post everywhere I know Smiley where do you know me from?

Not much visual progress to show because of UI and engine updating work Smiley So here's another twirl attack move, result of the dynamic physics based combat system!

Subreddit
YT - Twitter
 - Discord

Portfolio:
www.jordylakiere.com
JordyLakiere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2018, 08:45:26 AM »

I redid the UI entirely. Here is the new career menu UI!

Feedback very welcome

Subreddit
YT - Twitter
 - Discord

Portfolio:
www.jordylakiere.com
JordyLakiere
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 06:16:27 AM »

Made a little training area for my game  Sparring arena and all!

Now to add functionality. The visuals are still rough but will be polished later.
The idea of this place is to provide consequence-free sparring whenever you want, and also act as a tutorial.

I need to still figure out how to do the tutorials. I'd like to involve the fighting dummies, like maybe have each one represent a "feature" of the combat or related tip.

Designing a tutorial that isn't completely shitty, immersion breaking, and that not everyone will skip will be hard. I know I'm a tutorial skipper, for example. I make it a point to try to figure out the game without a tut, so I want to encourage that.
At the very least I will never force the player to do the tutorial at any time; I'll just let them play the game immediately and have the tutorial level be available at any time.

Any ideas? What has been the best tutorial in a game in your experience, and why?

Subreddit
YT - Twitter
 - Discord

Portfolio:
www.jordylakiere.com
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic