Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:51:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessyour thoughts on Physical Media (I.E. actual disks)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: your thoughts on Physical Media (I.E. actual disks)  (Read 1689 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: May 26, 2009, 03:36:09 PM »

Hey I was jsut wondering what everyone thought of selling actual game disks. I know most indie games are digital in nature but would people buy physical media? My main thought going into this is taking a Kid Robot or vinyl toy route.

so I wish to sell my game for 10 dollars we'll say. Now I have made 20 CDs. each one is Signed and numbered the same way artist prints are. now 15 of those cds are CD A. 4 of them are CD B. and 1 is CD C. each cd contains the same stuff, but the printed cds, and cd cases are all different. and basically the entire route takes the blind box approach. if you and your friend each buy one you may get different ones. and someone will get a cd that only they have (aside from the Artist Print that you would keep) now you could do different art or you could even take the blind box approach that some toys have and just do different colors. perhaps your cd is red, but the special ones are black and white.

example:

my question is do you think a model like this could work. I obviously know that this would not likely sustain you, since the number needed to be created would be astronomical. but I guess my question is do you think people would actually buy these and be willing to pay extra for them or is this just a feeble attempt to put more art into Indie games.

george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 05:25:22 PM »

I think this definitely would appeal to a niche audience, the same people in fact who normally would be willing to spend more money on something they like. This would be a sub-set of all the people who would buy your game. Some IF games (World's Fair for example) have done much of their selling on physical media as well (I think about 2,000 copies sold, again, to what you could describe as a niche audience). Personally I love the idea.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 06:02:02 AM »

I know most of the money made on webcomics are from selling derived goodies. I think if you can do something cute/beautiful for a game it will sell and certainly more than the game itself...

But it's only my advice from what I've read before, it's not yet reality proof.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 11:41:57 AM »

repeat thread, we had one of these already i believe.

'certainly more than the game itself' is questionable though. if i make a cute immortal defense mousepad, i doubt it'll certainly sell better than the game itself.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic