Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 04:57:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessFirst time releasing on Steam, getting weird (spam?) mails.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: First time releasing on Steam, getting weird (spam?) mails.  (Read 1314 times)
tankun
Level 0

Santima Games

View Profile WWW
« on: February 24, 2018, 02:30:07 AM »

Hi,

I've just released my first Steam game called, "A Fine Mess".

Since it became visible on Steam as "Coming Soon" state, I've started getting some spam mails occasionally which is not surprising.

They are mostly game promotion companies, localization or music services.

But when the game was released yesterday, I've started getting mails where they are asking for Steam keys in exchange for writing reviews for your games or promoting the game on their curator page.

Of course I'm aware that the rule of the thumb is if something sounds too good to be true then it is fake, or cover for something else. Maybe piracy in this case?

One of the mails goes like this:

Good day dear developer.
And I want to make you an offer - few keys for reviews from me and other steam users. Or just one key for my collection.
I think its a mutually beneficial offer and I hope for your positive reply.
Best regards and good luck with your new projects.
If you want, I can send you examples of writing reviews.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/sergej110/
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/freeekeys
http://store.steampowered.com/curator/25737869/

Or something like this:

Hello,

I am the operator of the now well-known cryptocurrency "Bitcoin" group on Steam, and wanted to inquire about a promotional event for your game.

Bitcoin is an ingenious piece of technology, drawing the attention of people all around the world. With thousands of active and steadily increasing members, and with years of experience on the platform - we can expose the game to an audience of enthusiastic gamers of all genres.

I am proposing a promotional giveaway of 2-3 activation keys (the more the merrier, of course), that would be featured on the main page of the group. All members would be notified and directed to the game, yielding exposure. Furthermore, the title will be in the right-hand side of associated games for up to a month, visible to anyone that visits the page.

I am looking forward to hearing back from you.
Best regards,
John

I searched Steam for curators but the name "Bitcoin" doesn't come up. What does he/she mean by group anyway?

Do you think I should just go ahead and ignore these mails? Have you ever shared your Steam keys for such exchanges?
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 02:43:01 AM »

They'll resell those keys to gain a few bucks. With thousands of games coming out on Steam right now, this is actually a viable way to get some income. Ignore.

Chances are this will never happen, but it's theoretically possible that an actual LetsPlayer with a reasonable following (>100k) contacts you. In that case she or he will send you a link to their channel, and ask you to contact them back via that channel. These are the only proposals you might want to follow. There are also a lot of LetsPlayers "just building their audience" with 100 followers or something - it's ok to send them a key if you feel like it, but don't expect any effect on your game's sales.

All Youtubers/Twitchers asking for more than one key, or asking you to send the key immediatly by email, or similar, are resellers.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
tankun
Level 0

Santima Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 03:27:25 AM »

Right. Thank you for clearing that up.

That makes sense.

By the way, I've sent  my game to LetsPlayers with 100 followers before. (My game is also on itch.io).

I actually really enjoy that. It is also a very good way of beta testing your game without reaching a bigger audience.

I've patched my game to V1.3 since then. Optimized the game in a way that it works twice as better now. Thanks to those LetsPlayers.

I still haven't quite figured out what exactly curators are, or how to make use of them. I mean the first question that comes to mind is that what makes them game authorities anyway? Why should you trust a curator as a gamer? You and I could be a curator for all I care, right? But I think it's best I started a new thread about that later.

Thanks for your advice.
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 03:42:18 AM »

That's the point: why should I give these people anything just because they registered as Curator with Steam? On top of this: why should they even be the human they claim to be in the mails? And even if they are authentic - what does it help you? The guy you linked in your post has 10k followers - not enough to make a dent in any statistic, but already quite nice. But that guy also recommends like five games a day. Chances are he never played any of them, and followers sure lose interest when someone holds five games a day to their faces. Chances are that the following is just bots he bought, or people who are in it for the free keys he gives away five times a day.

Honest curators with a huge following maybe have some effect on your sales - I can't say, back when I launched my games Curators weren't a thing, yet. But I guess the same safety measurements apply: verify that it's actually the human she claims to be, instead of believing a simple link to <famous/> in a mail.

If your game gets any bigger, you also might start receiving blackmail. "Send us 1k keys and we can do wonders to your game's rating. Don't and me and my followers will vote it into oblivion." Ignore. If some guy wants to give you money in order to be able to destroy your rating, let him be your guest. Except for FreeToPlay, where this move is easier to pull of.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
tankun
Level 0

Santima Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 06:35:34 AM »

If your game gets any bigger, you also might start receiving blackmail. "Send us 1k keys and we can do wonders to your game's rating. Don't and me and my followers will vote it into oblivion." Ignore. If some guy wants to give you money in order to be able to destroy your rating, let him be your guest. Except for FreeToPlay, where this move is easier to pull of.

Wow that's hilarious. I had no idea.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 08:20:20 AM »

this happened to subnautica devs :
https://ggtriple.wordpress.com/2015/06/11/influential-steam-curator-group-blackmails-subnautica-developers/
https://twitter.com/hugh_jeremy/status/605858569221636096
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 01:40:03 PM »

You should also be careful about people with fake web sites. Some resellers actually make a simple portal with some game news copied from elsewhere, so you think they are legit.

Curators are back. We had a round of asking curators and sending them some keys some months ago. Their reviews made a nice increase in visits to our game Smiley

desdemian
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 12:13:45 PM »

That is hilarious. Give a little power to people and they become the new mafia.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 02:34:03 PM »

New age mafia

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic