Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:49:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGriefHelm - 2D duelling game
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: GriefHelm - 2D duelling game  (Read 82310 times)
JohnnyLonack
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2018, 12:38:19 PM »

This is my solo project. A sidescrolling combat dueller game which combines Nidhogg's face-offs with Mount & Blade's melee combat Let me know what you guys think, and if you have any suggestions! Smiley
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 09:02:29 AM by JohnnyLonack » Logged

Griefhelm

indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 01:15:53 PM »

looks very interesting, are you using smooth step for the camera? besides, is it Unity you are using? it looks like Unity to me

rarelikeaunicorn
Level 0

Just keep walking.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 03:45:25 PM »

Cool start! Do you have an idea how complex combat will be in relation to Nidhogg as your starting point? Aiming for super casual or something with more competitive depth?

JohnnyLonack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 04:33:40 PM »

looks very interesting, are you using smooth step for the camera? besides, is it Unity you are using? it looks like Unity to me

Thank you so much! Smiley I'm using UE4, the camera is simply the mid-point between the two with a smooth latency applied

Griefhelm

JohnnyLonack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 04:36:04 PM »

Cool start! Do you have an idea how complex combat will be in relation to Nidhogg as your starting point? Aiming for super casual or something with more competitive depth?

Thanks! Smiley Well I've been playing around with the combat... And to make the directional blocking mechanic have some sense I need to greatly reduce speed and jump height... So It's becoming slow and tactical... I hope it doesn't lose its fun though. I'll soon have build ready so I can start sharing it with the community and get some feedback Smiley

Griefhelm

ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 12:18:13 AM »

Nice to see another duel inspired game, I will keep an eye on your progress, I'm sure we end up stomping onto similar pitfalls!

Are you developing it solo and if so, for how long so far?

Good luck there, it's looking good  Beer!

DuelCide A Dark ARPG about dueling, taking lives & dealing with consequences.
StoneTide
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 06:11:32 AM »

Looks interesting, good luck!

JohnnyLonack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 05:28:35 PM »

Nice to see another duel inspired game, I will keep an eye on your progress, I'm sure we end up stomping onto similar pitfalls!

I'm going full solo on this one, I've been working on it for a week now! Smiley, Your project looks great too! I'd like to know more about it! Do you already have an available build?

Griefhelm

JohnnyLonack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 05:29:00 PM »

Looks interesting, good luck!

Glad to hear that! Smiley Thank you so much! Smiley

Griefhelm

JohnnyLonack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 06:11:54 PM »

Hey guys, a little update! Smiley
After trying some mechanics out, I realized that there was (and still is) A LOT of tweaking to do! For the directional combat system to be effective I had do greatly reduce run speed, backward walking speed, and jumping. I switched from a 4-directional system to a 3-directional system (Overhead Slash, Mid Slash, and Thrust). I also made the blocking system more of a Stance system in which you can choose your stance seamlessly with the Right Stick and block in that direction. Whenever you want to deliver an attack you simply press Right Trigger and you'll attack based on your current stance (e.g. Blocking Up -> Overhead Slash).

Here you can see some of that in slow-motion action:

Here is the Seamless Stance Control:

I also added some IK Smiley:

And, finally, in all duels someone needs to die :D, Hence... Some good ol' death animations:

My next goal is to fix things up a bit more and release a small build to get more feedback from you guys! Smiley

Let me know what you think Wink

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 06:17:20 PM by JohnnyLonack » Logged

Griefhelm

Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 12:21:00 AM »

Those animations look really good!

SimonFelix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 03:18:53 AM »

Nice work on the animations! Very intrigued by the atmosphere of this, I'm looking forward to seeing this being developed Smiley

JohnnyLonack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 09:57:35 AM »

Those animations look really good!

Thank you so much! Smiley

Griefhelm

JohnnyLonack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 09:58:22 AM »

Nice work on the animations! Very intrigued by the atmosphere of this, I'm looking forward to seeing this being developed Smiley

Thank you! I'll keep you posted! :D

Griefhelm

JohnnyLonack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 03:46:50 AM »

Hey guys! I got a very early combat system prototype out! If you want to try it out and give me some feedback here is the link: http://www.indiedb.com/games/griefhelm/downloads/griefhelm-combat-system-prototype-0001

Griefhelm

JohnnyLonack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 07:13:59 AM »

Added some cloth simulation to make things more fancy Smiley

Griefhelm

ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 09:43:46 AM »

I'm going full solo on this one, I've been working on it for a week now! Smiley, Your project looks great too! I'd like to know more about it! Do you already have an available build?

Thanks, sure I am plannng on sharing a pototype version in a couple months when the pieces are a bit more representative.

PD: I mean how long you've been working not on the devlog but on the project.

Keep the good work!

DuelCide A Dark ARPG about dueling, taking lives & dealing with consequences.
Snö
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 04:44:48 PM »

Really nice start! Hoping to see more and play some Smiley

JohnnyLonack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 11:46:59 PM »

Thanks, sure I am plannng on sharing a pototype version in a couple months when the pieces are a bit more representative.

PD: I mean how long you've been working not on the devlog but on the project.

Keep the good work!

Awesome! hit me up when you have it. Anyway, when you asked I had started the project from a week. I decided to log the development immediately to shape the product with the help of the community Smiley

Griefhelm

JohnnyLonack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 11:48:09 PM »

Really nice start! Hoping to see more and play some Smiley

Thank you very much! Smiley you can already try the combat system prototype that I uploaded Smiley

Griefhelm

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic