Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:33:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Client-Side Prediction with PvP Knockback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Client-Side Prediction with PvP Knockback  (Read 603 times)
sky-coding
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2018, 09:01:19 PM »

Hello, I have a high-level question about networked game architecture. I have a simple 2D client-server multiplayer game which uses client-side prediction and server reconciliation. When client A knocks back client B, client B experiences snapping/popping (reconciliation with server) because it is unable to predict client A's knockback. This is noticeable as client B has predicted itself incorrectly moving without being affected by the knockback, so it has to adjust a large distance to catch up.

What is the best/most common/standard/easiest way to mitigate this?

I've considered having knockback effects instead apply a "debuff" that does not apply velocity until ~100ms has passed, allowing the client to receive this debuff in the next packet and then predict the velocity change in-sync with the server.

I'm also considered interpolating the client through the snap which would make it less jarring, although it would still allow to client to predict itself in a position that the server never acknowledged, possibly leading to downstream snapping - what if the client predicted hitting/touching something it never actually reached before being knocked back? Raising my tick rate up from 10Hz might help minimize this scenario.

Thoughts and suggestions are greatly welcomed, thanks!!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic