Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 10:00:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Tileset artist needed, perhaps
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tileset artist needed, perhaps  (Read 2700 times)
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 27, 2009, 07:52:09 AM »

Tell me if this is not the correct place to do this.

Anyway, there's this little-big metroidvania I started creating very very suddenly, after reading Arne's Exile design (unfortunately I took some ideas from it, but Arne didn't mind). The thing with the game is that the game area is actually rather big, and there's quite a lot to explore there. However, I've this far used placeholder tiles, because there's so much stuff to tile that I'd be helpless in front of it. The actual objects are already pixeled.

My question would be: Would any of you be interested/talented to help me a bit? I'd need around 5-6 tilesets with some special requirements. The style would be 'Retro', so there wouldn't have to be so many colours in a single tile, just so that it looks good in your (my?) eyes. The tiles are 16x16.

Here's an in-game pic of the game. As you see, the background art is holding place for something better:

The game itself isn't far from being done.
Tell me in this thread or somewhere if you're interested. As I said, the job will be quite tough even if me and You (whoever You will be) worked together, since the game world will be around 12000x10000 pixels.

Kramlack
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 10:01:17 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you looking for one person or multiple people? If it's only one I'd throw a personal suggestion of having multiple people working on tile sets. Like one person to a set, so the work could be evened out better and not as daunting.

In any case, I'd be interested in helping out since I recently found a love of making tiles. If you're interested, PM me and give me an example of something you'd want (like one or two tiles) and I'll do them up and you can let me know if you're still interested after seeing how it comes out.
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 12:05:04 AM »

This game seems pretty great, I will be anticipating it eagerly. Grin

I'm pretty busy, but I could probably do one tileset or something. How many people would you be willing to open this up to? As Kramlack said, the effort involved would be less massive if a lot of people contributed tilesets, kind of like what happened with Knytt Stories.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 12:51:33 AM »

I was thinking of one person, but of course, it can be collaborative too. In fact, that sounds rather cool! :>

I'll put here soon an example of what sort of tileset I'd need.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 09:43:47 AM »

"example" tileset:

Looks weird an hard to interpret, so I'll explain a bit.

The tiles should be 16x16 pixels, and the ones that are in that weird shape are the ones that are required (mostly). The black line shows where the border is in the tiles. I'll use the colour codes to tell what they are:

Green - the basic tile, that has no borders. There could be about 3 variations of this.

Dark Yellow - the basic turns and border tiles.

Magenta - These are used to make the border of the Dark Yellow tiles go correctly. Meh, I suck at explaining it but I hope you get it by looking at them.

Red - Pretty basic one-tile-wide pipes and pillars. Not necessary, but always good to have.

Teal - Used to create tips and other suck things. Not necessary.

Grey - Quite much the same as Teal, also not necessary.

So ar least the parts Yellow, Green, Red and Magenta are required. Also every bonus tile and decorative object you can make is welcomed warmly. There's no special size for the tileset, as long as the tiles are the correct size.
I know that is a lot of work to do, but well. It's your choice Wink

EDIT: Uh oh, I forgot one thing! To save space and time, you can make the tiles blend into darkness (black colour), so you don't have to worry about the tiles with no borders.
Like in metroid:

The background slides to black, so most of the area can be just black. This really saves time!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 11:46:29 AM by Hempuli » Logged

Kramlack
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 09:12:41 PM »

A bit confusing, but I'll give it a try. Can you give us any info on what type of materials you want the tiles to be (rocks, grassy dirt, water, metal, etc).
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 01:24:59 AM »

A bit confusing, but I'll give it a try. Can you give us any info on what type of materials you want the tiles to be (rocks, grassy dirt, water, metal, etc).

Oh, sure! There are 8 areas in the game, and their themes and base colours are:
-technical and clean, inhabited area. (grey)
-mineral mine, has rocks but also constructed, technical things. (brown)
-big cave, doesn't have quite much anything but rocks. This area should also have a large variety of different kinda spikes and stalagtites. (reddish)
-temple area, quite clean but dusty, there could be some sort of hieroglyph-like decorations here and there. The area is construckted of rocky blocks. (brownish yellow)
-underwater cave, the deepest place in the game area. Has many dark places, and is mostly underwater. Only rock here. (bluish)
-the outside world and surface of the planet the player is exploring. Rocky and empty, like the surface of moon. There'd be just stars on the background. (greyish blue, perhaps?)
-a very very technical place (I use the word 'technical' in a very wrong manner). Think of Tourian if you're tiling this one. There isn't any special base colour for this one, expect perhaps the grey of the metallic parts. This is the 'final challenge' -area, so if you're designing this tileset, you can somehow try to take that into the tileset.
-Brinstar-sort-of jungle place. The walls could seem somewhat organic, though that may be hard to do and therefore not required. A very cool thing would be if this place could have it's special, bramble-like spikes. (Green)

Ok, I hope that cleared some things. Smiley I'll by myself start probably with the surface area, once I've finished the world.

Uh oh, I hope I don't sound too strict or demanding with these tilesets. Sad

Kramlack
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 06:11:17 PM »

Just what I've been working on for the tiles, let me know what you think. I wasn't sure if you wanted pure black or just something close (I personally try to never use pure black), so I just went with something close, this can be easily fixed though. As well, in my opinion, the rocks are pretty small and look to overwhelming as a background. If you feel the same way let me know and I can try making bigger rocks.

I made a small mock-up type thing for it. I'm sure it looks fairly lack luster since only the basic tiles are done.
Epitaph64
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 06:49:17 PM »

I like that tileset Kramlack. Looks very... DOS like or something. Plus it really seems to fit the style of the HUD being used at the moment.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 03:05:21 AM »

Just what I've been working on for the tiles, let me know what you think. I wasn't sure if you wanted pure black or just something close (I personally try to never use pure black), so I just went with something close, this can be easily fixed though. As well, in my opinion, the rocks are pretty small and look to overwhelming as a background. If you feel the same way let me know and I can try making bigger rocks.

I made a small mock-up type thing for it. I'm sure it looks fairly lack luster since only the basic tiles are done.

Looks good! There isn't any rule if it should end up being pure black, since I can change those things by myself, depending on the place where the player is. Good work! Smiley

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 06:48:11 AM »

Hey Looking good guys!  The ground tiles seem to tile really well.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 12:34:04 PM »

The game world will be finished tomorrow, and then I'll start tiling by myself too. Thanks already for all you've done this far! Smiley

Kramlack
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 09:39:38 PM »

Sorry, I feel bad for continuously posting WIP sets here, since this isn't a thread about my work. I'll just keep updating this post I guess from now on.

As you can see, it's about halfway done right now on the basic panels. It's taking awhile since each panel is different, no copy pasta here. The long panels will be the bridges or pillars.

Finally, once these are all done, I'll work on those extra tiles, like spikes, objects, etc. As well, I thought about making a tile background, so to speak. One large tile, about the size of this whole tile set here, as a dark rocky background that can be tiled around, just to add a little more character to the scenery. I dunno, I was just kicking around the idea, again, wasn't sure if it was just gonna be a black background or if you wanted an actual background.

Anyway, glad to see the warm welcome of these tiles, if anyone has suggestions or criticisms, don't be afraid to let me know. I just want to make a good looking final product for use.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 09:46:05 PM by Kramlack » Logged
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 12:57:49 AM »

Sorry, I feel bad for continuously posting WIP sets here, since this isn't a thread about my work. I'll just keep updating this post I guess from now on.

<AWESOME>

As you can see, it's about halfway done right now on the basic panels. It's taking awhile since each panel is different, no copy pasta here. The long panels will be the bridges or pillars.

Finally, once these are all done, I'll work on those extra tiles, like spikes, objects, etc. As well, I thought about making a tile background, so to speak. One large tile, about the size of this whole tile set here, as a dark rocky background that can be tiled around, just to add a little more character to the scenery. I dunno, I was just kicking around the idea, again, wasn't sure if it was just gonna be a black background or if you wanted an actual background.

Anyway, glad to see the warm welcome of these tiles, if anyone has suggestions or criticisms, don't be afraid to let me know. I just want to make a good looking final product for use.

Looks great so far! The background will help me a lot too. Smiley Please, if you just want/will, do that! There's no problem with you posting the WIP here, as long at it looks this good Grin

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic