Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 06:37:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRomantic Horror Nights / Dark Dreams RHN
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Romantic Horror Nights / Dark Dreams RHN  (Read 8537 times)
Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2018, 01:06:03 AM »

The game's finished!

Here's the final trailer:

The game on ITCH.IO:
https://arkhouse.itch.io/dark-dreams-rhn

The game on GameJolt:
https://gamejolt.com/games/darkdreamsrhn/444315

-----------------------------------------------------------

Romantic Horror Nights is a mix of 2 genres: survival horror and action platformer. Romantic and scary it’s a split-personality world with split-personality characters.  You start the game as one of them – an ordinary horror monster following “the voice from above”.

Features:

* Hand-drawn 2d graphics
* Rich and crazy story
* Blend of genres: survival horror with platforming, action and adventure, both side-scrolling and top-down perspectives
* Evil boss fights
* Eerie soundtrack, melodic and ambient  
* “Saturn Quest”, an 8-bit style mini-game
* Extras: Art Book (PDF), Illustrated guide (PDF), Original Soundtrack (WAV)

Project Started on: February 01 of 2018
Project’s approximate dead-line: February 01 of 2019 (~+1/2 months extra)

STORY AND CHARACTERS:

You are playing as an ordinary horror monster called “Beautiful Prisoner”.

IAF _Beautiful Prisoner

Beautiful Prisoner is an IAF (Interactive Art Form) – a robot designed for artistic purposes. Each time his charging mode is activated he’s entering the ruined paper world of Origami.

Origami Man

Origami Man is living alone on Saturn. He is the king of the ruined paper world he is building to escape loneliness.

Captain Navigator

Captain Navigator is an 8 bit hero of an unreleased Saga Blaster System game called “Saturn Quest”. The prototype of the game when run on emulator installed on discharged IAF _B. P. forms a portal leading to the ruined paper world of Origami.

Vertical Ace

[_???_]

Mysterious voice coming from inside of the ruined paper world of Origami. He is the creator of IAF _Beautiful Prisoner and a love interest of the dark muse Barbara. Claims to be a God.

Dark Muse Barbara

The antagonist of Romantic Horror Nights. She was created from the dark affinity of Vertical Ace. She’s confronting Beautiful Prisoner believing she can use him as a vessel to reach the world of Vertical Ace.

Light Muse Angela

The opposite of Dark Muse Barbara she was created from the light affinity of Vertical Ace. At least in theory she must exist somewhere in the ruined paper world of Origami. Vertical Ace believes he can save his IAF, guiding him to Angela.  

To close the portal for good Captain Navigator must reach the true ending of “Saturn Quest”. This however will create a massive black hole, that may destroy an asteroid or two.

WORK IN PROGRESS (1 month):

Drawing backgrounds usually takes a lot of time, so I'm mostly drawing backgrounds at the moment. Next month I plan to make a short demo with a little bit of everything.

Romantic Horror Nights will be my best game so far and may be my last. I will be trying to write at least one or two updates a month. Pictures, gifs, videos, music... All the stuff blogs always have.

Ark  Noir

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 09:14:05 AM by Ark » Logged

Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 02:20:33 AM »

This looks very interesting! The 'mummy' sprites remind me of The Lone Survivor's zombies!

Why would this be your last game though?

Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 02:55:59 AM »

Sundrop, thanks! (Got to replay Lone Survivor one of these days - I'm a huge fan of 2d horrors. Smiley

I'm not making enough money to survive doing this. If RHN will be as "popular" as my previous games I'll just have to quit. So I got to do it right this time - I have an epic plan. My plans usually fail though. Cheesy

Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 03:36:02 AM »

Following for the Gigeresque esthetic. I was hoping to romance the monsters, tho  :<

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 04:27:47 AM »

Very cool visuals! I especially love the last three 8-bit screenshots, so good!!

Pixelologist
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 04:55:09 AM »

Sundrop, thanks! (Got to replay Lone Survivor one of these days - I'm a huge fan of 2d horrors. Smiley

I'm not making enough money to survive doing this. If RHN will be as "popular" as my previous games I'll just have to quit. So I got to do it right this time - I have an epic plan. My plans usually fail though. Cheesy

Just because you're not making enough money doing what you love and have a passion for doesn't mean you give up on that passion. Find another source of income and keep going with what you like doing. I don't know your whole story, I'm just trying to motivate you.
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 08:09:52 AM »

I'm so down for this.

Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 08:09:53 AM »

I was hoping to romance the monsters, tho
As a matter of fact you will be dating a monstrous girl in RHN. Smiley Each date ends with a boss battle though.

I especially love the last three 8-bit screenshots, so good!!
Makes me happy, thanks! Beer! Always wanted to make something 8-bit'ish.

Find another source of income and keep going with what you like doing. I don't know your whole story, I'm just trying to motivate you.
And big thanks to you for that! Beer! In fact I am more motivated than ever - it's just my motivation is rather negative in nature. I don't want to quit, but I will if RHN will fail. So I got to make it right this time and I have a year to accomplish this. I'm not giving up on anything. I'm just not positive about anything. Which is totally OK - fits the mood of the game I'm working on. 

I'm so down for this.
Nice! Awesome sauce! Cheesy

Some more stuff I'm working on these days...

"Space capsule"! (a.k.a. "portal")

"Charge Point"! (a.k.a. "Save point")

"Saturn Quest" retro title screen.

Saturn Quest starts as a mini-game in RHN, but in the end Saturn Quest becomes the main game and RHN becomes a mini-game in it. This time in a ZX Spectrum style:

Another concept art (this angel thing is a part of one of the bosses):

The entire month I will be working on the first demo. I'll make some videos then too. Bye. Noir

katastrophic88
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 02:29:14 PM »

WOW! This looks incredible. Love the aesthetic, the proposed gameplay, the dating aspect...excited to give the demo a go once it's done!
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 08:45:35 AM »

The "angel thing" reminds me of Angels in Neon Genesis Evangelion! Which is good.

Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 05:08:00 PM »

WOW! This looks incredible. Love the aesthetic, the proposed gameplay, the dating aspect...excited to give the demo a go once it's done!
Thank you very much! I love it myself so far. Big Laff
"Demo 00" will be finished in a week or two and I'll make a video of it. The real demo (Demo 01) will be finished in about 3 months, I think. I want it to include the first few levels and a level from the later parts of the game. I plan to upload it somewhere on the internet.

The "angel thing" reminds me of Angels in Neon Genesis Evangelion! Which is good.
Googled "Angels in Neon Genesis Evangelion" and found this awesome pic:
https://wallhere.com/en/wallpaper/19450

The central part might be a little bit similar, yes. Smiley

Currently working on "Demo 00". Just a week or two and it's done! Here's some animation:

Captain Navigator!
(one of the 2 playable characters)

IAF _B.P.
(the second playable character. He's a monster... and a robot.)

(this walking animation contains 18 frames! He's fun, isn't he? Wink )

(Jumping test)

First enemy
(No idea what it is!  Big Laff )

Also, I have decided to add portraits to dialogues. Looks good to me:

That's it for today. I'll be back.  Noir

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 10:18:10 AM »

If you haven't watched Evangelion before, you really should! There's lots more where that freaky creature came from.

Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 01:50:53 PM »

nathy after dark, I know! Evangelion looks great - I hope that someday I'll find some time to watch it.

This month was tough. But! I have finished the "Demo 0" I was talking about earlier. I'm not going to upload the actual demo (it's about 10 minutes long anyway), but here's a video of it:

The entire next month I will be working on backgrounds - I must know how each and every area of this world looks like (I'll have a lot of stuff to show here).
Then I'll start working on "Demo 01".  

That's it. I'll be back Noir
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 02:09:12 PM by Ark » Logged

Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 04:13:33 PM »

This month was slow, but I have achieved my goal - most of the background sprites are done and ready to use. The rest of the project should be much more interesting for me to make and the next goal is "DEMO 00B" featuring the top-down 8bit levels.

Some new backgrounds I have made:

Combo-levels:

That's it. I'll be back Noir

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 08:41:57 PM »

The "Welcome to school" and "Winter is coming" ones remind me of Detention. It's a great horror game.

Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 11:26:58 AM »

nathy after dark, I agree Toast Left! Detention is a masterpiece, heavy and beautiful.

That school by the way is an "adventure level" - no action, but plenty of story, simple puzzles and even simpler stealth. I hope it will be something similar to games like Detention.

Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 06:12:01 AM »

Working on the 8bit sections of the game. And... it's an 8bit clone of "Shadow of The Colossus" Evil :

Here's a GIF of the first Colossus:

And here's a video on Youtube:

Next month I will be working on various animations mostly. I'll upload some GIFs then Smiley

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 09:18:29 PM »

Nice progress, this game is looking really intriguing  Hand Thumbs Up Right
Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 10:51:30 AM »

QOG, thanks! Toast Left

Working on the demo. Here's the first boss:

nathy after dark