Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:59:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallOpenCDS - a 'games accessibility centre'
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: OpenCDS - a 'games accessibility centre'  (Read 6790 times)
erlend_sh
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2009, 10:08:37 AM »

Hi...

Take two! (or was it five?)

What just happened? Two OpenCDS (Open Content Distribution System) developers, namely Lars "Levia" Wesselius and Sander "brainless" Bisschops have teamed up with Erlend "Sadr" S. Heggen, an open source enthusiast. OpenCDS has been stagnant for about 6 months now, never really making it past the alpha stages. With a new scope and fresh directives in the works, we hope to breathe new life into the project, bringing it not only to new heights, but entirely new playing fields.

Backlog Briefing

Like most software, OpenCDS came to existence by a need: A need to easily and quickly distribute files across a small group of developers. Soon enough, needs were substituted with ambitions and innovation: After some twists and turns, OpenCDS went 'Steam-like'. For almost six months the project has remained stagnant along with parent branches of the same project (OpenCDS was originally an offspring of the OpenFrag project). Yet another path is being trod, but what has changed is merely less strings attached.

Its old thread can still be referred to as an early proof of concept, but it's not all that valid seeing as we're now taking it back to the writingboard and keeping it there as long as we see fit.

Elevator Pitch

At its core: It's a games accessibility centre that grants you complete management over all of your installed games, unconditionally; no commitments.

Think of it as iTunes for your games. It's more than Steam, and then again not quite as much. Use it to [un]install, update, configure, organize and run every single game on your hard-drive, all from one common platform. No mandatory registration; download it for free and you may utilize and customize it to your hearts desire. oCDS can find all the games on your system, indexes them for you, and lets you decide to what degree you want to let OpenCDS manage each separate game, if at all. If you want to benefit from its administrative features such as automatic game updates and quick-configs, all it asks for are some simple install process definitions and you're good to go. And, being an application of the future and all, it is open source, naturally.

What OpenCDS will not do

• Enforce DRM - Although OpenCDS will cater to indies distributing proprietary software as well as FOSS developers, there will be no DRM functionality.
  • Be 'the one solution' - OpenCDS won't be the exclusive solution for anything, not even associated commercial offerings. Just organize games using OpenCDS if you'd like; you won't be forced to use it for automatic updates or configuration management.
  • Be your default network - Although all social networking components are still merely conceptual, our own solutions included, we would create every component equally.

We will gladly welcome any questions you might have, but we've already made an effort to foresee some of them.

Clairvoyant FAQ

There are other, bigger projects using the label "OpenCDS". Shouldn't maybe a renaming be considered?

Yes, OpenCDS would in all likeliness benefit from a more unique naming, but all in due time. Suggestions? For the time being you'll 'soon' be able to find us at opencdspowered.org

What is it licensed under?

That remains undetermined for the time being, but in all likeliness we'll settle for a very common open source license.

Will there be a community established for OpenCDS?

Why yes of course! But this community (and services) would cater to all independent developers. Meaning, the all-for-free type of developer would have to be cool about sharing the space with the indies who develop games in the hopes of making a modest profit.

Will OpenCDS now be a commercial project for profit?

No. OpenCDS will always remain a true FOSS and community-driven project. We will always be looking into realizing some more viable streams of revenue to make the project more sustainable, but most such plans will be kept on hold at the very least until we can see a prospering community taking shape, and never will they affect the freedom of this software.

Would OpenCDS come bundled with development-centered feature-sets?

Probably not. At its core, OpenCDS should be dead simple, acting exclusively as what it's presently called: An open content distribution system. Out-of-the-box at a more complete state, OpenCDS could organize your games, install them, uninstall them, update them and might even be able to change some of your games' settings without running it. Through extensions, literally any functionality imagined should theoretically be possible provided an able enough developer. If anyone would like to co-develop OpenCDS with us by building the development-side of it as we go along, please do get in touch! (key topics: dependency solution system, build games from source, management of shared/static libraries).

Won't you say OpenCDS has potential beyond just games? What about other types of media, and social components?

Absolutely. It will be possible to apply OpenCDS' complex networking capabilities to pretty much any media file(music, books, video), and functionality allowing social networking and integrated community features would not be far off with a few extensions and an online framework in the other end. However, if we try to be everything at once, this project would loose valuable direction. A more narrow scope should help us and the public brain-trust alike to keep our ideas confined solely to 'games'.

What do you need us for?

We need you to tell us what you want!

The key concept is there already to give us and you a fair outline of what we have imagined this project to be. This is a relatively new concept we're dealing with here however, which is why we'd like to know now, sooner rather than later, how an application of this nature could make your life easier, be it as a serious gamer, an indie enthusiast, a developer or just an avid user of media in general.

So please tell us, what do you expect from OpenCDS?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 10:16:23 AM by erlend_sh » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 09:21:34 PM »

Before you advertise your stuff in this forum you should introduce yourself properly in this thread: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.0

I will lock this thread until you have done so.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
erlend_sh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 11:20:50 AM »

All done, sorry I missed it. I've been away from computers quite some time so I had kinda forgotten about the unwritten rule that says "thou shalt check for important stickies before posting in a new forum"  Wink We're also looking for a web engineer to join the team, but there doesn't seem to be a dedicated forum for recruiting here so I'll guess we'll handle that elsewhere.
r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 11:46:08 AM »

ya, don't worry. recently a lot of people are getting hammered with the unwritten "DONT POST TIL U READ EVERYTHING EVER, SPAMBOT!" rule. it's more strict for the announcements board though

there's already a system like this in development on tigsource i.e. tigbox. how would your project compare to that? (aside from providing some needed competition)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 11:49:12 AM by Reverend Kachowski » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 11:54:44 AM »

It's more strict here specifically because this is a community forums, and we want community members. If someone wants to come here just to advertise their stuff and flee to wait for the hits on their websites then it's not something that is tolerated here.

I'm not saying this about the thread author especifically, by the way.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
erlend_sh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 01:39:31 PM »

there's already a system like this in development on tigsource i.e. tigbox. how would your project compare to that? (aside from providing some needed competition)
I'd say we're already on a comparable level. Although we're back on the writing-board for the time being, we already have a proof-of-concept in place, some code can be reused and our programmers are just plain efficient :D

I guess maybe the most decisive difference between these two applications will be that OpenCDS aims to be for everyone, although we're dealing with one target group at a time. In difference to TigBox (I think), we would not only take advantage of the TigDB, but every other freely available games database, to give one example of more "general use".

So maybe for someone playing almost exclusively games 'as shown on Tigsource', would enjoy the more tightly integrations that TigBox would have to offer, while OpenCDS would cater to gamers rooted in many different communities.

@Melly No worries there mate. We don't even have a website set up yet, so this thread is definitely all about the constructive dialogue.
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 11:55:08 PM »

This is written in Java? I dunno...

Is it going to track time spent playing each game so I could aggregate it to a website or something? That would be pretty spiffy.
erlend_sh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 10:27:19 AM »

Cross platform compatibility is a big thing for us, something Java makes a whole lot easier. I know there's a lot of debate about Java's 'speed', but this is not a game or any other such graphics-intensive software, but a desktop application. Java suits the intended use of the application perfectly, 's all cool!  Cool

Is it going to track time spent playing each game so I could aggregate it to a website or something? That would be pretty spiffy.
That's a nice suggestion, we'll take it under consideration. Thanks!
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 12:09:49 PM »

Cross platform compatibility is a big thing for us, something Java makes a whole lot easier. I know there's a lot of debate about Java's 'speed', but this is not a game or any other such graphics-intensive software, but a desktop application. Java suits the intended use of the application perfectly, 's all cool!  Cool

Well, yeah. But there are other ways of doing cross platform software (though I won't deny that Java is one of the easiest), and Java takes up a lot of resources to do very little. I'm not amazingly happy to have something as memory hungry as Steam idling all day to begin with, and Java takes up ~50 mb of RAM just to show a window. It's too bloated for me to leave it running in the tray, and it takes too long to initialize if I'm just going to be starting it to play games.  Sad
Levia
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 12:44:30 AM »

Well, yeah. But there are other ways of doing cross platform software (though I won't deny that Java is one of the easiest), and Java takes up a lot of resources to do very little. I'm not amazingly happy to have something as memory hungry as Steam idling all day to begin with, and Java takes up ~50 mb of RAM just to show a window. It's too bloated for me to leave it running in the tray, and it takes too long to initialize if I'm just going to be starting it to play games.  Sad
Hey there, I'm Lars, a developer for OpenCDS.
I have a few years of experience with Java, and I know exactly what you mean. I'm running Mac OSX, and test on Windows and Linux too, and have seen some quite big changes between platforms. That's why OpenCDS will be written as efficient and suitable for every platform as possible.

About the memory footprint, I suppose you know that the Java VM reserves memory but does not actually use it? For those who not; an example: One of the applications I have written (a server type of app) runs on my linux (Ubuntu) server and seems to use 250 mb of memory, while in reality it's only about 30/40.

However, your concern is definitely understandable. Even though 50 mb when only showing a window is a bit overreacted, I can see where you are coming from, and I'll definitely consider these kind of things when developing OpenCDS. Thanks for the heads up.
erlend_sh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 08:49:14 AM »

Just figured I'd drop by real quick and show you Lars' latest progress Smiley A lot of the content shown is already functional, while some is just sample graphics. As you can probably see, the game info has been pulled from your DB. Do note that we're still prototyping, so pretty much everything is still subject to change.

JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 09:13:30 PM »

What's with the descriptions? If that's a launching screen, I'll probably already know what each game is about and the descriptions take up too much space. If it's a "download and install" screen, the descriptions are cut off and not as helpful as they might be.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic