Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:20:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow would one market a browser game? <_<
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How would one market a browser game? <_<  (Read 1956 times)
Slimebeast
Level 1

BARF JR.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 08, 2018, 01:12:31 PM »

Long time no post. Facepalm

I recently created a browser-based "Social Deduction" game with a friend. I had an audience to pitch the game to, several friends who do "Let's Play" videos and streams, and so on. However, none of that has resulted in an actual player base. (My audience didn't transfer over, and the friends never recorded or streamed it.)

I've added the game to databases and such, but again found no traffic from that. I haven't bought banner adspace for it, yet, but I'm saving that as a 'last resort' because it didn't help with a previous game project.

Does anyone have any experience with browser-based gaming that might be able to give me the missing puzzle piece? I know browser-based games have players! Where they at? Who, Me?

Kyuugatsu
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 09:37:00 AM »

Why don't you take a look at some of the more popular browser games? An example is Fallen London. That's the splash page, and you can immediately see that it's more inviting than your login page.

Well, this comparison is a bit unfair, so let's pick their login page. This looks more similar, but there are still some big differences. One of the most notable differences is the amount of friction - for Fallen London, I don't even need to make an account because I can login with Google. Plus I know what other people are saying about it, which makes me more eager to play. My eyes are directed to the one login box, unlike your website where I can't decide where to focus.

You're probably losing players even before they try to make an account.

Slimebeast
Level 1

BARF JR.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 09:49:07 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion. As it stands right now, my game's site has a login box top left, and the registration form along the entire right of the page. I don't know how much more front and center that could be - other than being in the actual center of the page. The site you linked, on the other hand, doesn't have a login on the opening page at all. Not sure if I want to emulate that, but again I appreciate that you took the time to answer.

If you have any advice on marketing a browser based game as opposed to the design, I'm definitely interested in that, as well. Smiley

Bellator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 01:33:00 AM »

There are multiple platforms with different revenue modules.

Armorgames, Kongregate, Newgrounds  are the three biggest i am aware of that offers a very fast exposure to the feedback and community. I guess Kongregate is the easiest one to get accepted, if you get 100k + plays in the first week, your game has potential and you can start thinking about cross platform implementation
yakandco
Level 0

Yak & Co

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 06:44:21 PM »

Facebook Gameroom is probably worth mentioning too. I've not had any experience using it. I have used Kongregate years ago for a JS/HTML5 based game which was simple enough. But it was a free game. It seems to me that this market is fairly hard to monetize.

Creators of award winning puzzle adventure game Agent A: A puzzle in disguise.
Slimebeast
Level 1

BARF JR.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 04:22:39 PM »

Thank you for the help. <3

therax1986
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 01:30:03 PM »

I'm currently working on HTML5 game called Theraxius and I have exactly the same problem. I read every article about "how to promote your indie game" and I did almost everything. Result: got some feedback (forums, emails, friends), page views, etc., but just a few gamers (to test free demo).
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic