Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 01:21:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFantastical Phantasms: Cel shading 3D Card Action RPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Fantastical Phantasms: Cel shading 3D Card Action RPG  (Read 2059 times)
Trixler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 13, 2018, 11:12:09 AM »

Hello everyone,

I been looking at all the wonderful games here and decided it was finally my turn. Well, this is a personal game of mine. Very early stage, after working on my GDD for a while it was finally time to get to the good part.

I’m foremost an Artist first, so getting the look was essential. I’m using Unreal as my game engine. There is so many things I have plan using this style but for the most part put constraints on myself so I don’t go overboard with features. Since I’m doing this solo I had to think of efficient ways of doing every part of making a game, reason for using Unreal.

For the details of the game, I would really like to put visuals instead of long lengthy words. So, once I have them I will show and tell. For now, here are some shots of a summon and what he looks like in the game. There is much more to come, so you’ll definitely see the behind the scenes of making my game. What gets in and what’s thrown out.

These shots are in-game screenshots with a little added white border, nothing else was tampered with. I also added WIP model pics.

Also added a vid  working inside the engine.

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 05:44:03 PM by janthony » Logged
Continuous_Dreamer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 01:12:11 PM »

Dude!This character looks awesome! Great job! Cant wait to see where this goes.
Trixler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 07:22:05 AM »

Thanks Continuous_Dreamer, This guy is actually a summon. This game is heavily inspired by Final Fantasy 7 and Yu-gi-oh (except its an ARPG not turned based). I hope to show more in the future.  Grin
RizeoftheSummonds
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 01:40:54 AM »

Welcome. I'm loving the cel-shaded art style. Can't wait to see your game mechanics and learn more information about your project, in general. Keep in mind, what makes your game more/slightly unique compared to your competitors? Even if you're remixing a game, you need to add additional new features to differentiate your game from others. Good luck!

Trixler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 08:00:07 AM »

Thank you very much RizeoftheSummonds for the comment and advice. For the most part, I wanted to create this for myself. I will take into consideration what you have said though. As of right now it is quite different from games and shows that inspired me to make this game. Hopefully, it will stand on its own in the end.
Trixler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 01:16:57 PM »

I finally have something to show. Worked on materials, style, and finally settled on the main character. Kept going back and forth but in the end I settled with what works as a whole. I know its simple but what I have plan it'll work once everything else is implemented.

I did get the basic movements down and a major feature of changing masks with different abilities.

How does it look so far?

In-game shots of main character:

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 08:53:09 AM by janthony » Logged
Trixler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 10:54:41 AM »

Added structural Features to easily manipulate them later, its so satisfying to see what you imagine work the way you wanted, everything is just tests I'll be changing it later but I have the structure there :

- Put a Shadow under the character when he jumps
- Did custom gravity so the character fall faster and not floating down.
-Automatic Leveling and Rank System
-Hexacard implementation (think of this as MP like in RPGs)
-Soul Energy (like HP)
-Have numbers show above the character
-Damage and FX where your character is at
-Item Spawning and moving

The assets and FX are temporary, this is just to test the new features.
Helia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 11:44:32 AM »

I don’t have much to say but I really like your artstyle and the game sounds interesting so keep up the good work~

What kind of music do you plan on adding though? Something atmospheric maybe? =o

Trixler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 07:50:57 AM »

Thanks Helia!

I actually met a great composer Mark Choi. Since I put my WIP of my game I got a lot of composers wanting to do the music for my game. Since my game was so early in development I was not really looking for anyone. But, Mark did not just ask to be a part of the game he actual created a playlist for just my game. The playlist was spot on, it was just the type of music I imagined for the game. It was just a WIP progress video but he immediately got it right the first time. What's even better is he and I like the same types of games, so we can easily collaborate. Can't wait to feature what he wrote for the game.

Here is some of his works: https://soundcloud.com/choiby 
Helia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 04:11:35 AM »

That’s great to hear! Being immediately on the same wavelength as a collaborator seems almost magical when it happens Wizard.

Anyway, I'm sure that it's going to be the perfect fit for your game and I wish you the best~

Trixler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 08:26:43 AM »

Here is an update on the project.

Implemented a lot of the main features for the character. The design might change but the code will not. Background and FX are just place holders for now. I wanted to have the foundation and have it working first before I finalize any content.

I put up a lot of WIP vids on my YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_D0GYdeaxeMQeAhnjVP0LA

but here is the latest.

Trixler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 03:30:56 PM »

Here are a couple of WIP Bladecards in the game:

Trixler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 09:54:20 AM »

So, this is the start of the Battle Mechanics of the game. Tweaking is a never ending task and I do it daily.

I've done prototypes and tests on different mechanics and this is what I ended up liking: Their will be many and ongoing work-in-progress battle mechanics.

The enemy is just a dummy that follows the Player
Also this is just a level for testing purposes.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 10:04:51 AM by janthony » Logged
MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 08:37:38 AM »

Just found this from your signature in someone else's devlog. This is looking beautiful, I especially like the effects for changing your blade card.

Trixler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2018, 08:37:53 AM »

Just found this from your signature in someone else's devlog. This is looking beautiful, I especially like the effects for changing your blade card.

Thanks for the comment, still lots to do and show. 
Trixler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 05:46:04 PM »

My day job took some time from my game but back at it and it actually gave me the time to finalize the game concepts.

The game will revolve around Cards and creating them. One of the main ingredient to making a card are the Phantasms. Here is a result of one of the Battler Cards you can make. A spell so powerful it can take corporal form. Battler Card except for Bladecards are your main Attackers.

Name: Brimfire

Brimfire in action!

« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 06:47:51 PM by janthony » Logged
Trixler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2018, 10:54:46 AM »

I've been working with Spell Circles and got inspired by kaleidoscopes. Really liking the result thus far.

Here are couple of experiments.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic