Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:14:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLaserlight: Carefully Hand-crafted puzzles
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Laserlight: Carefully Hand-crafted puzzles  (Read 661 times)
Le Slo
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2018, 12:55:56 PM »

Hello,

Do you like puzzles? Do you like games without tutorial? Do you like minimalism?

Here there is a game you may want to check it out.

My intent with this Demo is focusing on the understanding of the game at the very start, but if anyone digs it a bit more, there are a couple of things awaiting in this demo. To let you experience the game almost raw, I won't add any pictures (you have one in my signature!) I hope that doesn't stop potential testers.

Here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2zepicw0jgoy0y/laserlight%20demo.zip?dl=0

Disclaimer: This is only a playtest demo, there is no sounds in this build.

If you may, enjoy!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 04:51:56 AM by Le Slo » Logged

Varr
Level 0

Pixel Viking

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 01:15:20 PM »

I played enough to get to 'Multitude'. I am generally bad at these types of puzzle games and it brought back many memories of puzzles in old Legend of Zelda games on gameboy with the push/pull mechanic on blocks.

Very pleasing visuals. To me it felt like I was squirting paint and filling up canisters (due to the look of the particles of the beams) instead of using lasers (which is enjoyable in its own way).

I must say that I really enjoyed what I did play. I liked that you didn't need a tutorial, the WSAD and arrow key symbols were enough information to get started. The puzzles progressed in difficulty at just the right rate. This game can also easily be made mobile friendly if you wanted to go that route. Great job so far!

Nothing to do with gameplay: I think a catchy soundtrack/sound effects will add a lot going forward. Keep your eye out for a great musician to hire.

Mainly a pixel artist. Check me out here: https://twitter.com/GuttyKreum
fearless_donut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 08:21:41 AM »

Hey. I played a bit. I'm not a big fan of logic games but tried this one. First thing to say is that i like the design. Can't say anything about graphics, it's stylish enough, may be you should add more softness to particles and main circle.

First level went smoothly(although some cases were solved by 'just trying", not 'thinking' method). On the second one('Multitude') i got some problems:
   1. First time i didn't notice the 'R' & 'Z' keys' existence so i couldn't solve the first puzzle(with 3 blocks) because the first move is a critical one in this puzzle.
   2. I brought the game to invalid state by pressing 'R' at some point, so the only way was to start the game from the beginning. I think you should add some level selection/reset features at least for testing purposes.
   3. Continue button does not work for me sometimes(Actually i want to play more but i don't want to start from the first level again, i've already played it 5 times.)

Anyway, great job. And as previously were said, the rest is up to sounds.

My devlog - Aether Way
And Twitter
Le Slo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 04:51:36 AM »

I must say that I really enjoyed what I did play. I liked that you didn't need a tutorial, the WSAD and arrow key symbols were enough information to get started. The puzzles progressed in difficulty at just the right rate. This game can also easily be made mobile friendly if you wanted to go that route. Great job so far!

Thank you for taking the time to play it, even if this isn't your type of game!

Hey. I played a bit. I'm not a big fan of logic games but tried this one. First thing to say is that i like the design. Can't say anything about graphics, it's stylish enough, may be you should add more softness to particles and main circle.

First level went smoothly(although some cases were solved by 'just trying", not 'thinking' method). On the second one('Multitude') i got some problems:
   1. First time i didn't notice the 'R' & 'Z' keys' existence so i couldn't solve the first puzzle(with 3 blocks) because the first move is a critical one in this puzzle.
   2. I brought the game to invalid state by pressing 'R' at some point, so the only way was to start the game from the beginning. I think you should add some level selection/reset features at least for testing purposes.
   3. Continue button does not work for me sometimes(Actually i want to play more but i don't want to start from the first level again, i've already played it 5 times.)

Thank you for giving your feedback, really helpful:
1. I've seen this happening to other players, I'm not sure how to fix that. Maybe in that level I could recall the existence of those key to play, as I can iddentify the non-winnable state. I wish I could do this with all the non-winnable state, but as the game progresses it's not that easy. Other option is to write directly undo and restart on the levels where the Z and R appears. I will try different approaches. Thanks for pointing it out.

2.Added a level selection from the menu to avoid this. I also reworked on the restart level function, fixing lots of bugs (it was a mess I must admit).

3.Hmmm, doesn't work in what way? The camera takes you to a level but the player isn't there? The game crashes? I never had a problem with this, any more information would be great.

And here is the new build: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2zepicw0jgoy0y/laserlight%20demo.zip?dl=0

Mainly a lot of bug fixing, improved collision system but I too changed some levels.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 09:58:34 AM by Le Slo » Logged

fearless_donut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 05:27:57 AM »

3.Hmmm, doesn't work in what way? The camera takes you to a level but the player isn't there? The game crashes? I never had a problem with this, any more information would be great.

This bug can be reproduced in 'multitude' level. When you start multitude, you should go to a first 'buffer' cell(a single cell, that's exactly between start location and the first puzzle with 'R' button problem). When you're in that cell(do not go further) press 'R'. Your scene will reset and your circle will appear between 2 frozen 'plus' blocks. You can not control them now. Now if you press 'Esc' button and return to main menu, you won't be able to continue game.

I met the same problem in at least one more puzzle, so probably it is a global thing. Happens both in first and second
versions of game.

(I got stuck at bottom puzzle in multitude level, where you have 3 emitters(one of them is two-sided and the puzzle is mostly horizontal oriented). Looks like you have to put two sided emitter between 2 collectors, but it's not moving that way. Is there some secret that i don't get for now?.

My devlog - Aether Way
And Twitter
Le Slo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 01:50:27 PM »

This bug can be reproduced in 'multitude' level.

Ok I found the bug, you can actually restart the last level you exited from this buffer cells. I use them to identify where the player should appear, except on the main islands where I place the player at a specific location. Also I use two variables the level of the player. At that specific moment the variables are misaligned, so the restart function is looking for a door to place the player. I'll fix that tomorrow and update the playtest build. Thanks for finding it!

EDIT: I fixed the issue here the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2zepicw0jgoy0y/laserlight%20demo.zip?dl=0

(I got stuck at bottom puzzle in multitude level, where you have 3 emitters(one of them is two-sided and the puzzle is mostly horizontal oriented). Looks like you have to put two sided emitter between 2 collectors, but it's not moving that way. Is there some secret that i don't get for now?.

Mmm, if I understood correctly you can't place the purple emitter where it is in this image?

If that's the problem, I can't say for sure what is causing it. For investigating it I would need your save file. Also, you could try to erase (or rename) it and reach that level again. I did encounter some troubles playing the game with save files of other versions. DM if you want to give me that information.

Again, thank you very much for your time and feedback, it's being incredibly helpful and encouraging.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 01:06:32 PM by Le Slo » Logged

fearless_donut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 05:43:29 AM »

Mmm, if I understood correctly you can't place the purple emitter where it is in this image?
Yes, i was talking about that puzzle. As you suggested, deleting the old save file solved the problem. i can't send you this save file though(because i deleted it Cheesy). I have completed most of the levels and i must admit that some of the puzzles were quite hard for me. It is probably a very hard work to create them all by hand.

There are few problems i encountered:
   - On the levels where you move emitters by using your circle(not keys), sometimes you are unable to move them. It happened a number of times, but i couldn't recognize any logic in this behaviour. You just try to push an emitter with your circle and it doesn't move, then you wait or do a few moves and then push it again successfully(positions of other blocks were not changed).

-  (I played too much, so) the game didn't start at all. It just freezes at start and eats 1 core of processor.(Having troubles with 'while(true)' cycle?) Deleting the save file solves the problem. I'm not sure if it is connected with previous save/load problems, but if you need, i can send this save file(well, i saved this one Cheesy Cheesy) to your e-mail.

Unfortunately, i can't suggest any improvements in a gameplay since i'm not talented in puzzles at all.

Hope you'll fix all the bugs and good luck polishing the game.

My devlog - Aether Way
And Twitter
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic