Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:47:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGunkid 99 - high-score, arena-shooter (Released! now out on Steam!)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Gunkid 99 - high-score, arena-shooter (Released! now out on Steam!)  (Read 8735 times)
Yong
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 15, 2018, 09:24:05 AM »

Gunkid 99 is a fast-paced, arena-shooter that is all about getting that HIGH SCORE.

Gunkid is out now on STEAM!

Also available on Itch.io
In addition to the DRM-free version, you'll also get a Steam-key when you purchase a copy on itch.

Inspired by Super Crate Box and old-school arcade games, the goal of the game is to earn as high a score as you can by collecting weapon drops throughout a run (and thereby changing your weapon in the process).

As you progress through the game you'd unlock more theme-Worlds, more stages, and of course, more weapons.

You can also equip special abilities and choose your weapon loadouts to utilise different strategies and customise your play-style.

A DEMO is available! Try it out on  Itch.io  or  Steam.

Please feel share to share any feedback you have on the forum here. But the fastest way to get to me would be though DISCORD.

You can also find me on:
Twitter
Instagram
Tumblr

PRESSKIT: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FOQK-7dx1zil6mX1pXypjYAN8MSlRrQ5

If you don't want to miss the game's full release you can sign up for the Mailing list or wishlist the game on Steam.
Feedback is always appreciated so please feel free to comment and share your thoughts!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 05:44:39 PM by Yong » Logged

PetSkull
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 11:04:57 AM »

Yes! I've seen your progress (on #screenshotsaturday?) and I really dig your main character. He's a hardcore badass with great animations. Love it! Glad to see you in here, I'm sure following your progress! Smiley

Jesse Ko
Level 1

L7 Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 11:14:25 AM »

Looks great so far. Since all the action will take place in a relatively compact arena, do you plan on making any environmental changes (such as rising/falling platforms)? I personally find something simple like a moving platform can greatly freshen up gameplay, almost as much as new monster or weapons.

katastrophic88
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 01:22:47 PM »

This looks great! I love the fluid animations of the main character (and his design, too). Digging the look of the game.
Yong
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 07:32:51 AM »

Yes! I've seen your progress (on #screenshotsaturday?) and I really dig your main character. He's a hardcore badass with great animations. Love it! Glad to see you in here, I'm sure following your progress! Smiley

Thanks! Beer!  Ya, I have been trying to tweet consistently for screenshotsaturdays. It's difficult to stand out though, I think my #screenshotsaturday tweets tend to get less response than those I make on weekdays.  Tears of Joy

This looks great! I love the fluid animations of the main character (and his design, too). Digging the look of the game.

Thank you!  Coffee

Looks great so far. Since all the action will take place in a relatively compact arena, do you plan on making any environmental changes (such as rising/falling platforms)? I personally find something simple like a moving platform can greatly freshen up gameplay, almost as much as new monster or weapons.

Yes I plan to have elements in the environment that will affect gameplay. The lava pit above is one such example. Another would be spikes:

That's all the "environmental changes" I have for now. I found that having too many of such elements can break the flow of movement for the Player avatar, so I've only used them sparingly in a few stages here and there. Will probably add more for other "Worlds". Rising/falling platforms sounds like a good and simple idea! Smiley

DuskedSky
Level 0

Jack of many trades, master of none

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 08:35:15 AM »

These gifs are satisfying to watch. Love the art style.

Yong
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 07:36:06 AM »

These gifs are satisfying to watch. Love the art style.

Thanks for saying that Smiley There are some placeholder graphics in those gifs though, like the bullets shattering. Hopefully I can get those done sooner rather than later.

Yong
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 08:33:00 AM »

Hi again!

Today's post will be a showcase of some of the guns currently in the game.

First off - the Blaster, the first weapon you'd get.
The Blaster is weak but relatively fast. Zero recoil which makes for good control. High ammo cap and a fast reload means the Blaster is consistent and reliable.

You can consider the Blaster as the basic weapon for which all other weapons are compared to. Obviously you'd unlock better/stronger weapons as you progress but I don't want the Blaster to become completely obsolete. That means other weapons will behave differently or might have certain drawbacks and the Blaster may still be the preferred weapon of choice even in the late game.

The Revolver.
It can fire as quickly as you can spam the shoot button and is quite powerful to boot. Slight recoil. Some of its power is mitigated by the lower ammo cap.

The Mini-Cannon.
Powerful but has a slow rate of fire.(this gif is old. I've since made all enemies less tanky so it can one-shot all enemies now) The low ammo cap means you’d have to reload often. The recoil is pretty noticeable too and will slightly hinder movement.

Shotgun.
A monster at close-range. Wide arch of fire, however its range is pretty short. If you look at the last shot the bullets disappeared before they even hit the wall. The recoil is also pretty significant.

The rapid-fire Uzi.
Deals the same weak damage as the Blaster but is MUCH faster. However it has a pretty significant drawback in that the longer you shoot the wider the shot becomes. The ammo cap is also very high so players will need to consciously start and stop firing to maintain any sort of consistency.

Of course, I also plan to make more varied, non-gun weapons (like the sword in the first post).

The Circle of Fire.
Powerful but difficult to control. The challenge is that you'd need to get all three fireballs destroyed before they'll auto respawn (otherwise it's just too powerful).

The main goal is to have a wide range of weapons that play and feel different so that players will have to adapt their play styles and strategies accrodingly when their weapons get switched out. There will also be a equipped mode that allows players to choose the weapons (3 of them) which they prefer. Depending on the stage layout and enemy types certain weapons might be more advantages for certain stages, so there will be a layer of strategy involved in addition to players' weapons preferences.

That's it for this entry. Thanks for reading! Smiley
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:04:43 AM by Yong » Logged

Yong
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 09:29:25 AM »

Hi once again.
Today I will talk about the enemies found in World 1 of my game.

The Slime family:

There are only 4 enemy types to be found in World 1. Subsequent "Worlds" will follow the same pattern. Since the game is fast-paced and each run only lasts a couple of minutes at most, I thought reducing the amount of enemy types will allow players to quickly recognize each enemy for what it is and quickly react to their "attack patterns".

Also, because this is World 1, I've decided to go with one of the most common monsters found in games - the Slimes  Cheesy

First up is the big slime. Nothing much to say here as you can see. It moves along and turns when it meets with solid obstacles. The very first enemy you'd see.

Baby slimes. Its behavior is identical to its bigger brother. Small and extremely squishy it can be dealt with in a one single shot from most weapons. What it lacks in size it makes up for in speed and its small size can make it surprisingly tricky to hit in the heat of action.

My intention is for each World to have only one single enemy type that shoots projectiles. This is so as to prevent the game from becoming "bullet-helly". Not that there's anything wrong with bullet-hells but I think it can definitely be more pain than fun in a side-scroller platform setting. So that is the Shooter slime's purpose: to shoot projectiles. It remains static at the spot it spawned, shooting at the player near or far.

So far the Shooter slime is the only enemy type that will actively engage the player. The big and baby slimes just move about irregardless of what players do. And thus I added the last enemy type: Winged slime. It constantly seeks and follows the player around. The intention is to force players to move and not be able to bunker in in a safe spot.

Being its just the first World, the enemies are more stereotypical and do not have much special characteristics. As players acclimatize and progress through the game, enemies in later World would provide more of a challenge.

I've also made a mailing list, do join if you are interested and want to be notified about the demo when it is ready Smiley
https://drive.google.com/open?id=114W4-ZH-ezeVGtfA2OWRNJ1pFCGJYgaYcSoigCrW6Dk
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:06:29 AM by Yong » Logged

HiddenNatureDsn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 10:54:30 AM »

This looks really promising.  Love the feedback from shooting, feels weighty already. Look forward to seeing more.
Yong
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 09:09:40 AM »

This looks really promising.  Love the feedback from shooting, feels weighty already. Look forward to seeing more.

Thanks! Coffee  I could say the same to you, Arcane Golf looks like something that's right up my alley  Well, hello there!

jg.camarasa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 11:51:47 AM »

Loving this! The game feel certainly is there, good job!

HiddenNatureDsn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 04:11:21 PM »

Thanks! Coffee  I could say the same to you, Arcane Golf looks like something that's right up my alley  Well, hello there!

Thanks for saying so!  I appreciate any feedback I can get.
l0bster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 04:59:40 AM »

I love how it feels like the game is non stop action, where you always have to keep moving, dodging stuff, shooting Smiley
Pixelologist
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 08:34:13 AM »

What's the purpose of the strange looking timer thingy in the top right of your first gif? I can tell it's counting up, but you should really make it read like a proper timer and not some random numbers bunched together.
andyfromiowa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 02:21:33 PM »

I love that you're taking the Super Crate Box concept and building in so many new ideas. Everything is looking great so far. Keep it up!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin

Yong
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2018, 11:10:32 AM »

Loving this! The game feel certainly is there, good job!
I love how it feels like the game is non stop action, where you always have to keep moving, dodging stuff, shooting Smiley
I love that you're taking the Super Crate Box concept and building in so many new ideas. Everything is looking great so far. Keep it up!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin

Thank you for the feedback and comments! Cheers Beer!

What's the purpose of the strange looking timer thingy in the top right of your first gif? I can tell it's counting up, but you should really make it read like a proper timer and not some random numbers bunched together.

Yup, its actually counting up per frame. It's just for myself, the timer won't be in the final game. It shouldn't have been in the gif but I could never remember to stop drawing it lol.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 10:51:27 PM by Yong » Logged

Yong
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 09:21:33 AM »

Hi I'm back.
Continuing on from the previous log, today I will showcase the enemies in World 2.

The Lava stage:

Like I've mentioned before. There are only 4 enemy types in each World. World 2's theme is lava, so I've tried to make the enemies fit in with the world/environment. After the introductory "vanilla" enemies of World 1, the enemies in World 2 will begin to have more varied behaviors and attack patterns.

First off, the leaping..erm...shall we say Lava blob. Wink  The blob might be relatively weak but its small size and jumping pattern can make it difficult to hit. I also did a little something extra for its death animation to show its "fire-y" nature.

Next up, the Lava bat. The only projectile-type enemy in World 2. Unlike the static shooting-Slime from World 1, the lava bat flies about in random direction when it is not actively shooting you. That makes it a slightly more annoying target. That it can fly also means it can target the player from practically any position. If not quickly dealt with and left to loiter in the stage, just a few of them can quickly overwhelm any player.

The Wall-climber climbs wall obviously. It can round a corner or even climb upside down. Compared to all other enemies thus far, it is relatively harmless? But because of its climbing ability it can hinder the player when you want to say, wall jump or traverse the map. Also, shooting it will make it drop at once so shooting at it while it is directly overhead is perhaps not the smartest move.

The Blue flame is probably the most dangerous enemy in World 2. It "dives" straight at the player, and as you can see in the gif above, dodging it requires good timing. Even I still make the mistake of doing a dodge-roll while close to a wall and the Blue flame still manages to hit me when it "rebounces". Often the number one priority target in a stage.

That's it for today's post. Once again my mailing list for alpha-testing: https://drive.google.com/open?id=114W4-ZH-ezeVGtfA2OWRNJ1pFCGJYgaYcSoigCrW6Dk

Have a good day. Cheers  Coffee

EvilKYO
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 12:06:06 PM »

I love this, so fast and fun. It looks very challenging and I really like this type of games, the animation and simple art is just perfect.

I can’t wait to play it! Awesome job
Yong
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 06:36:20 PM »

I love this, so fast and fun. It looks very challenging and I really like this type of games, the animation and simple art is just perfect.

I can’t wait to play it! Awesome job

Hey thank you, glad you like it.  Beer!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic