Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411415 Posts in 69361 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 01:58:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 41 (Apr 20-23) [COMBINE TWO INCOMPATIBLE GENRES]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 41 (Apr 20-23) [COMBINE TWO INCOMPATIBLE GENRES]  (Read 17770 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2018, 03:43:37 AM »

About a month left, but I'm making the thread now already since theme suggestions are open!

Semicopypasted explanation of LD from last thread:

LD is a game jam. You optionally vote for a theme in the days running up to the event, and then based on that theme or keyword you get 48 or 72 hours (plus a submission hour) to make a game! You need to go on the website, log in, and click 'join event' before it starts!

48 hours is referred to as "compo" and 72 as "jam" and they have different rules—jam is more relaxed and you're allowed to work in a team—so make sure you read the rules on the website first.

When the time is up, a couple of weeks of playing games and rating/commenting them (only people who submitted their own games can do this) commences, and if you want to get ratings/comments yourself you need to do this.

You don't win anything beyond good ratings/comments at best, but it's fun and you always grow a little bit as a developer, as does your portfolio!

Remember that you need to host your game yourself—the LD website does not provide this. The website has a guide for this. Also you need to make it work at least on web or Windows (I think?) to be allowed to submit your game.

Twitter hashtag: #LDJAM (even if you're doing the compo)

Great blog post from an earlier LD here on considering keyboard differences between countries and so on, and more to bear in mind!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 11:16:56 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 07:24:56 AM »

I might participate since this happens in the eye of the storm where I might not be busy! (aka in between college semesters)

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 10:55:59 AM »

Oh, another Ludum Dare is coming up.  Grin

I plan on participating and giving Unty a try this time. Perhaps even joining a team for once, instead of going solo as usual.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 10:59:27 PM »

Time to weed out the theme suggestions!

https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/41/theme
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 01:25:35 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 02:46:07 AM »

You can change your mind this time. That's new, isn't it?

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 07:34:18 AM »

New for the new site, but was possible on the old site too.

CodeLobe
Level 0

Decide to Act Sensibly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 02:12:31 PM »

Every 4 months, we challenge creators to make a game from scratch in a weekend.
[emphasis theirs]

And yet there are nearly zero submissions written in assembly language (let alone machine code), none include a new compiler or minimal operating system for loading and executing the game.  The games don't even write their own bootstrap code for the machines the games run on.  "From scratch" my shiny metal ass.

[Only half joking; Depending on the theme I might actually try to do this]

Then again, there's this: http://nand2tetris.org/
Building a modern computer from first principles
Someone might be able to breeze through that in a weekend.  Still, the course doesn't even mine, dope and bake their own silicon semiconductors.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 03:15:42 AM »

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 11:52:59 PM »

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 02:03:22 AM »

Still, the course doesn't even mine, dope and bake their own silicon semiconductors
Or ignite their own star to make the silicon atoms from lighter elements! ☀️

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 06:21:38 AM »

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 05:59:51 AM »

CodeLobe
Level 0

Decide to Act Sensibly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 09:31:52 PM »

Just wanted to say: Thanks Prinsessa for posting these notifications!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 02:10:30 AM »

No problem! Starting now, you should probably keep an eye on the real time countdown on the website. About 15 hours to go! Gomez

And since the website usually breaks down from traffic when the theme is announced, it's usually easier to just check the Twitter account. Tongue

Tifu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 11:11:14 AM »

A good post with some alternate meanings of each theme, if the obvious meaning doesn't appeal: https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/41/$75164/what-do-these-themes-mean-final-round

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 11:19:17 AM »

Forgot this thread completely today! So the evening before the jam I managed to spill tea on my laptop, and it wouldn't start again. I got Unity and everything working on the Linux machine tho, so I'm jamming anyway. That way I'm also distracted from touching the other laptop for three days while it dries and hopefully boots up again afterwards. Heh.

My combination is SURVIVAL HORROR + LIFE SIMULATOR! I haven't written a single line of code today, actually! Only modelling the setting. Gomez

Tifu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 04:51:50 PM »

Fusing go karting with metroidvaniaing. Going well.
End of day one and I have five bosses coded (some could do with some extra attacks maybe if time) and all the code done for the power ups and driving around.
Tomorrow I need to make the level area that will connect the five bosses, models for the bosses, textures for the levels, sounds, music, particle effects, at least one enemy... maybe too much D:
Worst case scenario if I start running out of time, I just make the level a very small hub between the boss fights. I think they are the important part to focus on getting good.

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 10:49:54 PM »

Day 1.. Yawn

I'm making a twin stick shooter/city simulation game?

Tifu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 01:50:54 AM »

Managed to complete my KartVania game :D

Had to skip sounds/music/and a lot of particle effects for impact etc.
But I'm pretty happy with what I got done - five different boss fights, a functional shop, upgrades to find - huzzah!

KartVania

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 11:33:02 AM »

Here is my submission! Really happy with it! Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic