Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:56:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLamentum - Pixel art survival horror game
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Lamentum - Pixel art survival horror game  (Read 7342 times)
ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 18, 2018, 10:19:35 AM »

Kickstarter page is live now!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/828792638/lamentum-survival-horror-in-an-endless-nightmare

Lamentum already has a Steam page https://store.steampowered.com/app/1033950/Lamentum/ support us by adding to your wishlist!!!

In Lamentum you will guide Victor, a young aristocrat, who will embark on a desperate journey to find a cure for a rare disease.

Our last hope is in a dark mansion governed by an earl capable of granting any wish, but… At what price?

The Grau Hill mansion will open its doors and immerse us in a world of nightmares where we can be trapped forever.

Lamentum is a pixel art survival horror game, set in New England in the mid-nineteenth century.

Our adventure will take place in a dark mansion full of enigmas and dangers, in which we will have to survive using our ingenuity and a multitude of objects at our disposal.

Every action we take in Lamentum can alter the course of story. Our main character will have to choose well in whom to trust and what decisions to make if he wants to carry out his purpose.

Lamentum is being developed by Obscure Tales, a team formed by two people, Nico (from Madrid) in the programming section and Fran (from Seville) in the graphic section.

- Detailed pixel art combined with actual light and shadow technology.
- An adventure with different endings depending on the decisions we make.
- Large number of characters with different motivations.
- Multiple enemies and terrifying bosses.
- Fight or hide. Choose the best way to survive.
- A labyrinthine mansion to explore along with unique outdoor areas.
- Large amount of weapons and objects.
- A nightmare plot, dark and twisted, aimed at an adult audience.
- Variable climatology.

About the dev team:

Developing this game is a small team of two persons known as Obscure Tales, based in Spain.

Also, we have the collaboration of Black Light Sound our fantastic musician, in charge of music and sound effects.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/blacklightsnd

Why a pixel art survival horror?

We love survival horror games and we love pixel art too XD.

Both of us in the team have previous experiences with different types of games, but the genre that we like the most is the horror and ... why not do something that we really like?

Screenshots

Thanks for reading about our project.

Follow us:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ObscureTales
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Obscure-Tales-166846694125039/
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 07:38:40 AM by ObscureTales » Logged
ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 09:36:46 AM »

Dev log: 1

Hi!!

We're working hard in Lamentum. These days we have focused on the development of two new locations:

1: the Forest

2: Corridors of grau hill's mansion

We have developed a system for observing the environment.

In Lamentum we want to have a varied weather system that manages to transmit different feelings to the player. We started with a particle-based rain system to create a rainy night.

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 10:21:27 AM »

Oh sweet! A while back I released a horror visual novel which I'm getting help on translating into Spanish right now. Hit me up if you'd like any help with translating the other way around, into English.

ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 10:00:05 AM »

Thanks!! We like your proposal, we could use a little help when we start with the translation.
ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 09:03:32 AM »

Dev log 2

Hi world!

We are very happy with the latest advances we have added to Lamentum. This time we have focused on gameplay system and enemies.

1: Combat system:
Surviving will be important in the game. The space in the inventory is limited and managing your objects will mean the success or failure for the adventure.

Firearms:

Melee combat:

2: Diary:
We have added a diary where our protagonist will note down the events that happen on his journey. It will also serve as a resource for some puzzles.

3: Combine objects system:

4: physics system:
Some objects can be dragged.

5: New camera effects:

6: Dialog system:

7: New Enemies:

We are uploading the development progress on Twitter every day:
https://twitter.com/ObscureTales
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:33:45 AM by ObscureTales » Logged
Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 01:08:14 PM »

Awesome! I'm a huge fan of 2d horror games (making one myself Big Laff ) so I'm following.  Smiley

But I'll be kind of annoying since I like your stuff so much Gentleman Here's what I think:

1. I like the black&white design of your studio's logo. I would recommend using similar style in the game itself. Mostly for the interfaces or some pitch black underground areas. I think that interfaces shouldn't look the same way the world looks. This b&w style would create a nice contrast - just changing the palette should work OK.  

2. That fire-place gif looks the best to me (because of the very dark shadows I believe). The brighter places impress me less.  

3. The front-side of the castle looks paper-ish. I see no sources of light and yet it's lit. It's unrealistic. I would add some lanterns and add more shadows.

4. "The Pale lady" lacks detail... or contrast. I would add cracks, or insert some shiny stones.

5. Fireflies would make forest much more alive.

I like everything else. Good luck!  Toast Left

ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 10:53:17 AM »

Awesome! I'm a huge fan of 2d horror games (making one myself Big Laff ) so I'm following.  Smiley

But I'll be kind of annoying since I like your stuff so much Gentleman Here's what I think:

1. I like the black&white design of your studio's logo. I would recommend using similar style in the game itself. Mostly for the interfaces or some pitch black underground areas. I think that interfaces shouldn't look the same way the world looks. This b&w style would create a nice contrast - just changing the palette should work OK.  

2. That fire-place gif looks the best to me (because of the very dark shadows I believe). The brighter places impress me less.  

3. The front-side of the castle looks paper-ish. I see no sources of light and yet it's lit. It's unrealistic. I would add some lanterns and add more shadows.

4. "The Pale lady" lacks detail... or contrast. I would add cracks, or insert some shiny stones.

5. Fireflies would make forest much more alive.

I like everything else. Good luck!  Toast Left

Hi!

Thank you very much for the feedback.

1. Thanks. At the beginning of the development we did different tests and the one we liked the most is with this pixel art style and changing the scene in grayscale.

2. Thank you, we are applying the same lighting system to the whole game.

3. Yes, for now we have changed the hedges and added the lamps, we still have details to touch up, like the roads.

4. Mmm your idea is interesting, we will think about it and we will surely improve it Wink.

5. Yes, the area has been a little off without any source of light, it could be interesting to implement a particle system to make some live fireflies.

PS: Your project is very interesting and we will follow it closely.
SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 11:00:02 AM »

Oh man, this looks really good.

Definitely deserves more attention. Any idea how long this is going to be? I'd love to make music for something like this.

In fact I love the project so much I'd probably make it for free.

Sam Louix

← Avatar from my  Healing Process: Tokyo. 3 years in so far. Daily dev-log is here. I have advice for composers looking for work, join here, I'll tell you.
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 01:44:41 PM »

^ Never do anything for free, yo! If you wanna get experience on smaller projects with low budgets, you should at least find ways to make it an equivalent exchange. As indies we gotta value our time and energy!

SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 03:24:02 PM »

^ Never do anything for free, yo! If you wanna get experience on smaller projects with low budgets, you should at least find ways to make it an equivalent exchange. As indies we gotta value our time and energy!

I have experience working for cash, in fact my whole income is based on freelance income from composing.

I have worked on games released on steam (around 20), and a few games on Xbox.

The reason I offered to work for free is because I don't care about money and I would like to work on the project for the projects sake. I am not looking for 'experience' in the sense of a noobie. Please don't assume everyone is failing at a low level. Thank you.

PS: I hate money.

← Avatar from my  Healing Process: Tokyo. 3 years in so far. Daily dev-log is here. I have advice for composers looking for work, join here, I'll tell you.
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 05:17:55 PM »

Good for you, but there are a lot of new gamedevs out there offering their work for free and it's worth saying to promote awareness. You're more successful than I am so it's a little weird to get upset at someone offering advice to underdogs in an exploitative industry.

SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 06:01:46 PM »

Good for you, but there are a lot of new gamedevs out there offering their work for free and it's worth saying to promote awareness. You're more successful than I am so it's a little weird to get upset at someone offering advice to underdogs in an exploitative industry.

We desire money to be free to do the things we want to do.

If you cut out the middle man (money) and just do what you love, you are already living the life you strive to reach.

Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 07:34:00 PM »

I see you have a lot of new stuff on your Twitter. And all of it looks great (except the slow particles Smiley ).
Any news?

3. Yes, for now we have changed the hedges and added the lamps, we still have details to touch up, like the roads.
Awesome. It looks so much better already. Now I want to explore it ASAP Beer! .

Ahhh! The best 3 words I've read today! Noir

ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 10:55:36 AM »

Oh man, this looks really good.

Definitely deserves more attention. Any idea how long this is going to be? I'd love to make music for something like this.

In fact I love the project so much I'd probably make it for free.

Sam Louix

Thank you!

We are very happy to receive such positive opinions!

The expected release date is the end of 2018.

We currently have an audio artist who will be in charge of music and special effects. But we greatly appreciate the proposal anyway.

I see you have a lot of new stuff on your Twitter. And all of it looks great (except the slow particles Smiley ).
Any news?

Awesome. It looks so much better already. Now I want to explore it ASAP Beer! .

Ahhh! The best 3 words I've read today! Noir

Thanks for taking a look on twitter! We try to be active and upload new things every day.

Yes. We have worked hard and we have a lot of new things to show. (including new particle system Wink)

ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 03:14:14 PM »

Dev log 3

Hi!

In these last weeks we have come a long way and we have many news that we would like to know what you think.

1: Quick access buttons from the inventory:

2: New weapons and improvements in particle system:

Musket:

Blunderbuss:

Knife:

Sledgehammer, saber and fireplace poker.:

3: New locations:

Dungeons:

The save room:

Strange ritual:

Greenhouse:

Kitchen:

4: UI Damage:

5: Improvements lighting in the outside of the mansion:

6: More NPCs and dialogs:

7: Adding animations to the candles:

8: New Enemies:

We are uploading the development progress on Twitter every day:
https://twitter.com/ObscureTales

Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 09:55:51 PM »

ObscureTales, you have done a lot. Most of it looks great Toast Left. But...

I still don't like the smoke particles that come after shooting. The fast smoke coming from the front is OK, but the smoke going up in the face is a little bit too bright. I think it should be about 50% transparent. May be even less.

ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2018, 01:15:00 AM »

ObscureTales, you have done a lot. Most of it looks great Toast Left. But...

I still don't like the smoke particles that come after shooting. The fast smoke coming from the front is OK, but the smoke going up in the face is a little bit too bright. I think it should be about 50% transparent. May be even less.

Hi!
Mmm maybe you're right, we will review it and we will do more tests.

Thanks for the feedback Smiley
ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2018, 01:37:24 AM »

We finally reveal our first trailer!

We hope you like it Smiley
ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 10:17:58 AM »

Hi!

New concept art for Lamentum.

Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2018, 03:41:44 PM »

The trailer is awesome! Toast Left When are you releasing it? 

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic