Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:10:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLamentum - Pixel art survival horror game
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Lamentum - Pixel art survival horror game  (Read 7422 times)
ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2018, 11:10:14 AM »

The trailer is awesome! Toast Left When are you releasing it? 

Thanks! We hope realise the game Q4 2018.
ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2018, 11:13:41 AM »

Dev Log 4

Hi!!

After the release of the trailer we are focusing on the development of the map and the enemies.

The material we are showing is in development and it is not the final version even so, we hope you like it and as always we would love you to give us your feedback.

Animations:

Animations of enemies:

Creative process of enemies:

We are uploading the development progress on Twitter every day:
https://twitter.com/ObscureTales
WayedOut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 05:49:48 AM »

Some of those designs and visuals are genuinely unsettling. Nice work!
Tattomoosa
Level 0

Making The Decision Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 07:02:50 PM »

Looks really cool, digging the creature design. Have you tried making it darker? Seems somewhat bright for survival horror.

Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2018, 05:54:39 AM »

Awesome stuff Crazy! It's getting better and better! Toast Right

ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 10:43:00 AM »

Dev Log 5

Hi!

During the last few weeks we have been advancing in the development of the game and we have been focusing in the development of different AI for the monsters of Lamentum.

Mainly, the AI of the enemies is programmed like a state machine that it could split in three:
- Normal State
- Alert State
- Combat State

In the Normal State, the AI will have a patrol route defined by the map where it will be. When the state changes to Alert State, the AI will have located to the player and, depends of the type of monster, it will seek to reach to the next state, the Combat one.

Both to patrol and to reach to the player previously located, the AI must be able to find a valid path to reach to his goal.
To get this, we have developed a pathfinding based on the testing of colisions.

To do these checks of colisions, must be defined a volume for each AI, we like very much this, due to our monsters have varied sizes (since little monsters to humanoids and others big and fierce ones xD).

According to this volume and to avoid that the monster was trapped somewhere without knows how escape and goes out, we draw two triangles of 45 degrees in base to this pivot, pointing to the possible directions of movement, after the result, we do the testing of the colisions in base to these triangles.

The reason to use two triangles instead of only one is simple, the corners, each triangle informs us of the possible colisions that can have in its zone.

We like the result and we believe it's right for the monsters of the game, which we don't want that always search the best possible path, but that they will be able to avoid obstacles.

In the beginning we considered programming an algorithm A* search to the pathfinding, but according to the different possible volumes of the monsters and the fact that our stages aren't completely based on tiles, we discarded it.
ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2018, 10:12:35 AM »

Hello!

During last week we have been ending the routes system and pathfinding of the enemies. We have also been working on the attack system of the enemies.

Pathfinfing by checking of collisions:

According to the video, we have the possibility of creating customized routes for each enemy (In this video, we have two created routes, blue and yellow points), besides, each enemy uses their own AI to dodge obstacles.

Attack system of enemies:

Now the enemies are able to attack the player. When the player go on their field of view, they leave the route that they were keeping and they follow him until they kill him.

The impacts of the attacks will change depending on the enemy's strength (in some cases even they will push to the player, as in the previous video).

In future devlogs we will talk about the evolution in the player's weapon system.
ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2018, 09:32:43 AM »

DevLog 7

Hi!

In today's dev log we want to show the changes we have applied to the game's light and particle system.

Among the improvements we have achieved we can highlight:

- Improved contrast between dark and light areas (avoiding a collapse of lights and optimizing their performance).
- Greater depth to the light according to the layer in which it is placed.
- Color enhancements in light sources.
- Better control of the intensity and flicker of the lights.
- Particles of dust.
- More detailed rain.
- New climatic effect, lightning.
ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2018, 12:11:32 PM »

Dev Log 8: Hiding System

Hi!

The last days we have been working on a new game mechanic, hiding from the enemies.

In Lamentum, combat will not always be the best option. Sometimes hiding will be vital to survive.

Our character can use the environment to go unnoticed, however not all enemies can be deceived in this way. Some creatures will use other senses to find you and sometimes it can be a very bad idea to turn off the lamp ... Sad

Features of the hiding system:
- New hiding points (e.g. Furniture).
- You can not hide with the active lamp.
- You will not be able to move while you're hiding.
- You can not hide from all types of enemies, some can detect you even hidden.
- Hide is an option, you choose your way of playing.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 12:22:07 PM by ObscureTales » Logged
LunaticDancer
Level 0

Unveil the curtains of sanity!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2018, 04:02:54 PM »

Nice, found it on Tig Smiley

I've seen this game (trailer) on YouTube. Is the title, and also anything other, inspired by the album Lammendam by Carach Angren. This is a band playing paranormal themed black metal, this would be a very funny coincidence.

ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2018, 09:23:22 AM »

Nice, found it on Tig Smiley

I've seen this game (trailer) on YouTube. Is the title, and also anything other, inspired by the album Lammendam by Carach Angren. This is a band playing paranormal themed black metal, this would be a very funny coincidence.

No, we did not know that group xDD. It is a coincidence.
The title of the game comes from Latin and is related to the plot of the game. (It's a surprise Wink ).

Thank you!
ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2018, 09:24:04 AM »

DevLog 9

Hi!

These weeks we have been focused on completing the development of the inventory and the item box (wooden chest).

As good survival horror our inventory will be limited and we will have to manage it well.

The inventory has nine spaces. The first three are special, the objects that we place in these positions can be used immediately by pressing the quick access
buttons.

Another thing that we have finished is the item box (wooden chest) . In certain areas we will find a wooden chest where we can store objects in an unlimited way.

Also, we have improved the interface of the game, always bearing in mind the possibility of playing with keyboard + mouse or with a controller.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:41:19 AM by ObscureTales » Logged
Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2018, 11:48:55 PM »

We hope realise the game Q4 2018.
It's Q4 OF 2018. When can I start playing? Addicted

Just came to say that I'm still waiting for your game and it still looks awesome to me. Gentleman

ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2019, 11:32:27 AM »

We hope realise the game Q4 2018.
It's Q4 OF 2018. When can I start playing? Addicted

Just came to say that I'm still waiting for your game and it still looks awesome to me. Gentleman

Hi!! These last months have been very intense and we have added new mechanics and increased the content of the game, we hope to finish it in mid-2019.

Thank you very much for your interest Wink
ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2019, 11:35:25 AM »

Hi! We have a new trailer available, we hope you like it Smiley!!

ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2019, 11:20:34 AM »

Hi!
We had been some time since we wrote a devlog, the main reason is that we have been working on a new trailer.

Do you like it?

One of the most representative changes with respect to the previous trailer is that we have improved our lighting system by combining our shader to illuminate diffuse materials with particles and the truth is that we liked the result.

The main reason why we have worked on creating our own shader for the treatment of light instead of using the Unity lighting system is for the performance. When working with 2D pixel art graphics we do not need the light computations that generate the Unity lighting system by default and we can use a greater number of simultaneous lights with a lower cost of performance, this led us to consider... How did we get that the light had a little volume? The answer is the particles, with a bit of love we have managed to make the lights have more visual presence in the scene apart from the main objective of light, illuminate.

ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2019, 11:21:22 AM »

Lamentum already has a Steam page https://store.steampowered.com/app/1033950/Lamentum/ support us by adding to your wishlist!!!

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 11:26:33 AM by ObscureTales » Logged
ObscureTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2019, 04:40:35 AM »

Lamentum, Decisions will mark your path | Dev Log

Hi!

We continue to work hard in Lamentum and today we would like to talk about the importance of decisions in our survival horror.

From the beginning of the development we were always clear that Lamentum has several finals available depending on the decisions we choose while we play. But... How are decisions made in Lamentum?

During your gameplay, you will meet several characters that may influence the course of the story and that will force us to decide what we want to do.

Some decisions will be presented through a system of elections in the dialogues.

But this is not the only way to make decisions in Lamentum ... To whom will you give the object? Which way will you choose? Did you solve the puzzle correctly?

We do not want to make spoilers but your way of playing will influence the story...

Guntha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2019, 06:04:57 AM »

Hello,

I just discovered this topic; I'm not really that into pixel-art style games, but I like what I'm seeing here Smiley

I just watched the trailer, and the only thing that bothered me is that I find the pixel-art, handwritten title of the game a bit hard to read, especially with this font where "m" and "n" can easily be mistaken for an "u".

Keep up the good work,

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2019, 08:20:33 AM »

Wow, any news of release? Its 2019, also, if puzzle got multiple ways of resolve then its 100% awsome game but if puzzles are to linear il pass for the reason i dont want to get stuck on a puzzle half way
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic