Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 12:50:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGenerali don't know what to think about this
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: i don't know what to think about this  (Read 6577 times)
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2018, 01:36:14 PM »

Meecham, a self-described "professional s*** poster" and free speech advocate, said the video had been taken out of context.

It's not fair, they took a video where he shows off how he trained a dog to respond to Nazi phrases out of context!!!

But no, freedom of speech should be defended, even when it's not even threatened (punishing hate speech does not threaten freedom of speech btw)

How is anyone even arguing in this moron's favor?

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 01:38:53 PM »

again, in the united kingdom there is no right to free speech.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 01:46:05 PM »

But do you have the right to freeze peaches?

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2018, 01:49:42 PM »

the only true god given right i have is to do needle thin shits directly into the cornea of anyone who says homeopathic irony level dog shit like "fr**ze p**ch" to me (not typing it due to personal beliefs)
doghouse
Level 0

VR dev

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 01:50:35 PM »

hate speech does not threaten freedom of speech btw

People have to realise that 'hate speech' is a tool to attack freedom of speech.  So yes, it does threaten it.

Because, you can't advocate freedom of speech and yet close down those that speak what you don't agree with (by labeling it as hate speech).

It's simple, if someone speaks nonsense, then people will see it and reject it.

Like the saying - 'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.'
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 01:54:41 PM »

hate speech is a tool to attack freedom of speech

No it's not, laws against hate speech are a tool to stop (among other things) people from promoting literal Nazi rethorics and propaganda.

you can't advocate freedom of speech and yet close down those that speak what you don't agree with

It's not about disagreement, it's about Nazi propaganda.

if someone speaks nonsense, then people will see it and reject it

Like how Germans in the 1930s saw through Hitler's propaganda and didn't elect him?

Like the saying - 'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.'

Follow your own advice.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 02:03:47 PM by ProgramGamer » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 02:00:43 PM »

hate speech does not threaten freedom of speech btw

People have to realise that 'hate speech' is a tool to attack freedom of speech.  So yes, it does threaten it.

Because, you can't advocate freedom of speech and yet close down those that speak what you don't agree with (by labeling it as hate speech).

It's simple, if someone speaks nonsense, then people will see it and reject it.

you are a pisser
doghouse
Level 0

VR dev

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2018, 02:04:09 PM »

This thread is too much irony.

If you close down someone's view, it's not advocating freedom of speech.  It's not freedom of speech.

And freedom of speech is not about nazis. That's just an example.

Freedom of speech is not about examples or specifics, it is the right to express a view regardless of how it offends someone.  

When you deny that, you remove freedom of speech.

Ergo, 'hate speech' as a term denies freedom of speech.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2018, 02:05:13 PM »

interesting, but the salient point here is that you are a pisser
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2018, 02:06:34 PM »

Freedom of speech means you can't get punished by a government for criticizing aspects of it btw. It doesn't mean you have the right to say literally anything to anyone, or that you should get a platform to say literally anything to anyone by virtue of existing.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2018, 02:06:47 PM »

any body who disagrees with my stupid ass ramblings as my legs flail in circles fred flintstone style, kicking up a throw rug over my oculus rift, while my tennis ball sized and shaped brain attempts to catch up with my bodily impulse to race over to the computer to post "why cant i say that word", is in league with the main stream media
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2018, 02:10:35 PM »

"hate speech is actually good" i chant while performing karate katas in front of my dog, who fucking hates me
doghouse
Level 0

VR dev

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2018, 02:12:18 PM »

Glad people know how to debate.

It's been enlightening.

I'll sleep better tonight, a changed man.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2018, 02:13:17 PM »

you have so far failed to respond to my assertion that you are a pisser
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2018, 02:14:43 PM »

Glad people know how to debate.

It's been enlightening.

I'll sleep better tonight, a changed man.
what ultimate good or pressing need, in your opinion, would be served by instituting unqualified rights to freedom of speech in the united kingdom
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2018, 03:01:11 PM »

this fucking neet jackass is going to get at worst a 6 month suspended sentence but probably just a fine, which will be paid for by some blue checkie fuckhead on twitter, then he becomes cause celebre for indeterminately angry young men culminating in some fucking interminably shit book and/or "speaking" tour. the original purpose for which will quickly fade away into the deeply odorous fog of war where it becomes just another fart in the background noise of people who make inarticulate or inarticulable arguments about nothing in particular because their lives are shit, as part of a broader coalition of small dicked insane losers who think they should be allowed to do more nazi stuff on line.

the unspoken basis of all of which was this moron trying to get money, from youtube.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2018, 03:35:25 PM »

I have the freedom of speech to ridicule and condemn nazi shit aimed to gaslight people with "jokes"

That's freedom of speech, take that pisser

Freedom of speech don't stop at people outraged about outrage, outraged people exercise freedom of speech, it's literally freedom to be outrage at everything, outrage culture is spot on freedom of speech

Kamoulox

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2018, 03:37:47 PM »

i'm gonna say the guy seems like a total tosser and i really couldn't care less if he was stopped from making additional bad "ironic" nazi jokes about his dog, but i don't know what to think of the uk government sentencing someone over a still quite mild youtube video in comparison to the bnp still roaming around freely.

also joe you said the uk has no free speech laws. does it have no free speech protection at all? is comedy somehow exempt from this because of laws on art protection and is this video not considered comedy enough to be classified under such an art protection law? same thing with politics?

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2018, 03:42:43 PM »

In the current context it's everything but mild, even notorious culture shitposter made a mea culpa, south park even made an episode where they look back critically at it (when kyle do the same outrage protext than his mother he oppose year before), we are past poe law and there is ample documented evidence of racist using gaslighting with jokes to gain power and acceptance, I mean we have TRUMP and Cambridge analytica, it's not mild, it's concerning.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2018, 03:58:15 PM »

there is the right to freedom of expression in the uk, but it is superseded by hate speech and libel laws. however there is a different legal system in scotland. its not correct to say that the uk government is sentencing this guy, it is a local scottish issue and tried in a "sheriff court".

but despite those laws it hasnt stopped little unimportant things like people yelling racial slurs at my wife in the street, or the government discriminating against people who marry foreigners, or the fat idiot with the ss neck tattoo and the "white pride worldwide" t shirt that nobody else had the balls to confront in one of the capital cities of this country, or the edl rally where i had to walk a sikh family to their car because they were too scared to leave a shop, or an mp getting murdered by a far right nut case. its only had impacts on really important things, like youtube atheists, theoretically.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic