Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:33:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)For a beginner, what is easier: NES-styled or Risk of Rain-like pixel art?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: For a beginner, what is easier: NES-styled or Risk of Rain-like pixel art?  (Read 1091 times)
millefeui
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2018, 06:35:47 AM »

Hello. I have been working on a game by myself, and as such, learning pixel art was required. Well, not required, but it was my choice for the visual style of the game. I have been learning techniques in general, but nothing related to styles in particular.

I wonder... As said in the title of thread, what would be simpler, or easier? I reckon NES style might be easier because there is more games to see "how it was done", while something like the Risk of Rain style doesn't have significant if any documentation on how to  replicate such style, plus there are also not a lot of games with that style (some are sorta similar, like that Superbrothers game).

Now, you might say "It seems like you already know the answer to your question", but I wanted second, third opinions on the matter. Any of the two styles would work fine in my project... Although, with the NES style*, the game would have more screen transitions due to bigger buildings, sprites and content in general. With the tiny Risk of Rain sprites, I could have more content on a single screen and avoid extra screen transitions, which makes for a more streamlined experience.

*I say NES style, but truth is there are a lot of different styles in NES games. I think more of games like Mega Man, Kirby's Adventure, Super Mario Bros 3 and stuff rather than the likes of Ninja Gaiden.

Anyways, thanks for the help, in advance. Any tutorials or tips for any of the styles in particular would be super helpful.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic