Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:57:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGastrocove - a food production pipeline sim on a tropical island
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Gastrocove - a food production pipeline sim on a tropical island  (Read 4015 times)
morphinegames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2018, 06:53:15 AM »

Hello everyone! I just wanted to post a progress pic as I build out the island. I will be posting more as I make progress.

This is one of my favorite parts about indie dev - building worlds purely from imagination.

morphinegames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2018, 08:37:18 AM »

Hi guys!

So fresh water is a big part of a lot of products that you create in Gastrocove. Obviously we need a "source" of the fresh water since we want all raw ingredients to be somewhat realistic in their source. For fresh water, the source is a dormant volcano that has collected rainwater. Not shown yet are the waterfalls that will be coming off the volcano and at the bottom of those waterfalls will be the fresh water spawners.

More to come as I build out the island.
morphinegames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2018, 08:41:19 AM »

Just captured this quickly while I was playing, I really liked the silhouette of the island against the full moon rising

morphinegames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2018, 01:36:46 PM »

Hello everyone, so late day post but I've gotten a first pass at a waterfall from the volcano done and figured I would share

morphinegames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2018, 09:08:36 AM »

Hi Everyone!

There won't be any updates for the next 2 days because it's Ludum Dare 41 this weekend and I will be participating.

You can find me on there, my user name is morphine and I'll be entering the compo (single person 48 hours "hard mode").

I'll also be documenting the process on Twitter @morphinestudio in case anyone wants to peer into the mind of a madman

I have participated in Ludum Dare once before (#39) and I placed 31st which I was really happy about, I'm not expecting lightning to strike twice, but I'll give it my best either way.

Wish me luck!
morphinegames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2018, 01:46:21 PM »

Last update before the LDJAM weekend - the arabica coffee beans in Gastrocove grow on the side of the volcanic mountain

morphinegames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2018, 06:33:38 AM »

Hi guys! So Ludum Dare 41 was this weekend and I competed in the compo (hard mode). Anyways, while this is off topic I figured it's part of the "dev experience" so I will share a little bit about the game and the process.

The theme for this LDJAM was "two incompatible genres" so I chose FPS and Match 3 games. Dyeswap is a first person game where you swap colors between your "gun" and colored blocks around the world. 3 adjacent blocks of the same color will dissolve. There are also glass blocks around the world that will block you. Some glass blocks have a colored border and if your gun has the same color as the border you can pass through the glass blocks. It's a pretty simple setup for an FPS puzzle game.

Overall the process went as it always does for me on these weekend game jams. Friday - wait anxiously for the theme, get the theme (at 6PM PT), and spend all of Friday night designing the game on paper and browsing dafont for font ideas, thinking about music, etc. I schedule out Saturday and Sunday as well but don't do any real work (coding or modeling)

Saturday I spend getting the mechanics working, getting the build process working (e.g. publish to web GL, windows), a couple levels and all of the sound track. Sunday is all about more levels, polish, and bug fixes.

The game went exactly as planned, Saturday I got up early (4am) and I finished at around 3PM and then spent some time just making music using this awesome app Figure make music on iOS. Sunday I got up around 7AM and submitted at 4PM.

For the most part the game I had envisioned on Friday night is exactly what I made my only regret is that I didn't have enough time to make more creative levels, there are around 20 levels total, but of those, I would say that 5 or 6 are really good, 10 are just mediocre and 3 or 4 make me cringe.

For the next two weeks we rate other peoples' games and they rate ours and then we get the results. Wish me luck!

morphinegames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2018, 07:42:18 AM »

Hi Everyone! I'm back in the saddle today after a long day of reviewing other LDJAM entries yesterday.

For the next few weeks I'll be working on turning the Gastrocove "engine" into a game. Right now it's just a bunch of mechanics set on a tropical island but over the next couple of weeks this will be turning into a game with victory conditions etc.

There are going to be 2 main modes in Gastrocove

1. Campaign - in campaign mode, you play through a series of challenges that have been custom designed almost like levels. This will also be a tutorial mode of sorts as the difficulty will progress gradually

2. Free/Tycoon - this will be a more "open world" free for all with the goal to become a billionaire within a set amount of time. In this mode, the island chain will be procedurally/randomly generated (using island prefabs that were used in campaign mode) and it will be your job to setup a pipeline of food production to achieve a billion dollars. This will have leaderboards as well which will be time based.

As I mentioned earlier, July 1st is when I expect to start a closed beta testing group so if anyone is interested PM me your details.

morphinegames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2018, 08:27:37 AM »

Hi everyone!

So the past few weeks have been really crazy over here. It started with the LDJAM and all of the positive feedback that I got on our entry (a first person puzzle game). This led to a lot of soul searching and the decision to stop work on Gastrocove.

My talent is in making puzzle games - I looked back over all of the games that I have made in the past couple of years and they are all puzzle games. I was having a hard time getting Gastrocove to coalesce into something fun and after LDJAM I realized I should just stick to what I am good at.

So this will be the last entry on this thread, but I am already hard at work on a puzzle game called Bloom and I will start a new thread on here when I get to the stage where there is something to show.

By the way, I placed 19th in LDJAM 41 Smiley
Ninety
Level 1

turnip boy

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2018, 02:52:02 PM »

Sorry for the late bump but I just saw this. Shame to see you've stopped working on it, it was looking really good! Congrats on LD, and all the best with Bloom Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic