Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 03:15:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopStruggling with my Run Cycle
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Struggling with my Run Cycle  (Read 6624 times)
Willsaber
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2018, 08:08:31 AM »

I'm new to animation, but in the past, my work has been critiqued for being too tight and constrained, so I'm trying to make something more dynamic and fluid. My goal with this cycle is to make something appealing with lots of moving parts.

It looks kind of clunky to me, but I can't figure out exactly how the body and head are supposed to move in a run cycle. Does anybody reading this have tips or help they could share?

PS: I should note, this game is not a sidescroller, it's a top-down game, which is why her feet are misaligned.
7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 11:15:28 AM »

Legs apart -> head up

woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 01:25:01 PM »

Head should "bop" two times per legs cycle (once per leg). Only one head cycle makes a cool looking limping walk like you did. You could use it when the player is hurt.  Smiley

Willsaber
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 04:41:47 PM »

Here's my update! I definitely think those adjustments make this look significantly better, but the more subtle movements makes this seem less dynamic. Is there a way to improve that?
TheClintHennesy
Level 0

Artist working on Twinkle Torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 10:40:20 AM »

Hey Man, just some thoughts:

I think being "dynamic" is a completely "per basis" thing. I don't think there's a strong need to make things look or feel dynamic unless it's part of the feel you're going for. I assume the hands will be a separate object and detached from him? If not- the hands will be your best bet to make things more dynamic.

Anyways- if you want it to feel more dynamic- I guess you would want to realistically make his torso rotate left and right? Try walking for example- and you'll notice your left arm will counter weight your right leg when it's in front.

But as for the run cycle itself- I think it's a bit weird that his head is moving forward and backward still. I know you toned it down a bit... hm... I think run cycles are more of a motion of up and down rather than forward and backwards for the head.

Anyways- that's all. Just here to give some feedback! :D

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic