Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:29:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBuilding Buildings (Project 2, 2018)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Building Buildings (Project 2, 2018)  (Read 5101 times)
Eyon
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2018, 01:42:08 PM »

Hello ! I played the two first level of the game. I would have like to see the nice 3D models you made into the WebGL demo =)
I think some sounds could make the game more enjoyable.

Mobile strategy game in the browser: https://eyon.itch.io/agentsxmonsters
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Eyon_Patrick
HuvaaKoodia
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 01:02:40 PM »

The last 3D models, but not the last graphics related tasks by a long shot.

Managed all 12 models after all, looked grim this morning. As you can see the importers and exporters are simple texture variations. Initially I had the idea of different icons for each to further differentiate them, which would be helpful for colorblind people, but looking at the resources (and time) I don't think I'll go there. Try coming up with icons for the following resources: metal, trash, plastic, plastic product, oil and gadget. Yeah, not easy.

A bigger issue with the assets is the apartments and stores. I should have made the breakroom model first as I really like that design now. Will have to tweak the assets to conform to the more abstract, block'hood like style. Hmm, that's what I get for rushing. Should have taken an extra day thinking about the style right away, eh, switching to damage control mode.  

Only two weeks left, officially. Will have to work overtime during the weekends. I'm behind in the hours due to many irregular days during the project. Hopefully everything will fall into place nonetheless.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 12:03:38 PM by HuvaaKoodia » Logged
HuvaaKoodia
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 01:07:54 PM »

Hello ! I played the two first level of the game. I would have like to see the nice 3D models you made into the WebGL demo =)
I think some sounds could make the game more enjoyable.

Hello!

Audio is coming up next week. A few effects and some music; maybe even voice-over, but time is of the essence.

Will release a demo with the first 10 levels once the project is finished. Stay tuned.
HuvaaKoodia
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 11:07:11 AM »

4 out of 5 sound effects done. Turned out pretty ok. Basically lifting things whole cloth from FreeSound and tweaking them in Audacity.

The magic of GIFs does not extend to audio, unfortunately.

Threw in quick particle effects and camera shaking to liven up the otherwise dry user interface. Successfully reusing code from prior projects there.

Continuing to add in those missing level descriptions. Tweaking the levels too. I don't wish to leave too much for the last week.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 12:03:59 PM by HuvaaKoodia » Logged
HuvaaKoodia
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 01:43:43 PM »

One more level. These big one's take quite a while to make.

E7, runthrough

Looking for fitting, low key, chill, music. So far only a few hits, will keep digging. At least the code is already in, no need to worry about that.

Beta (content complete) stream on Saturday at 15.00 UTC. Crunching to get (nearly) all of the content done by then.

Cheers!

HuvaaKoodia
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 01:10:34 PM »

Already moved on to next week's agenda: tweaking & polish.

Wrote this handy, dandy editor script for easily changing the font of certain text elements and the color of main image elements in any scene. Will be useful in future project too as I can use it from the very beginning, expanding its functionality.

This is to say the GUI got a face lift, you can see it in the stream tomorrow, not that it is quite final yet. The panels need some texturing/shaping at least, simple squares are a bit hard on the eyes.

Level E9 done too. I'm now missing a single level and 5 level descriptions. Darn close to content complete, a miracle taken how many hours I've skipped in this project due to all sorts of reasons. More on that later.

Cheers!
HuvaaKoodia
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2018, 05:22:57 AM »

Once again took a while to edit the stream down to size (shaved 25 minutes off, better than last time)

Thought I was behind schedule in work hours, but it turns out there was a spreadsheet formatting issue which drastically affected the sum of all the hours. Hear me out, this is pretty interesting in fact.

Cells set in the default time format (HH:MM) look all nice and dandy. Subtracting the start time 11:00 from the end time 21:00 results in 10:00 hours total, which is correct.
Subtracting the start time 13:00 from the end time 00:30 results in 11:30 hours total, which is correct too.

Unfortunately, behind the scenes the latter value value is in fact negative, due to subtracting a bigger value (13:00) from a smaller value (00:30), and the time format simply wraps it around to seem sensible. Summing these sort of numbers together completely throws the result out of whack.

Fixing this is easy, it turns out. Use the cumulative hours format ([HH]:MM) for all cells and add 24 hours to any time values over 00:00 (01:30 becomes 25:30, for instance). After these changes the sum flipped around completely. I've been working overtime for 25 total hours (15 "effective" hours). The truth has been revealed!

Also checked the time sheet for project 1 and sure there were dozens of extra hours too. I don't feel that great about that one, but updated the statistics post anyways.

Last week coming up. I do need to take some time off again due to RL, but now I'm not too worried. The project is doing fine too!

Cheers!
HuvaaKoodia
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2018, 12:14:30 PM »

Here's the schedule for the polish/release week.

Monday:
- Graphics menu (resolution, screen mode, floor options)
- GUI tweaks

Tuesday:
- Level testing & tweaks
- 5 last Level descriptions

Wednesday:
- E10 tweaks
- Level testing & tweaks
- Asset credits

Thursday:
- Optimize build size
- Build icon
- Build settings
- Clean up scenes

Friday:
- Voice over recording
- Voice over toggle & audio slider

Saturday:
???

Sunday:
- Release

I'm pretty sure I haven't forgotten anything. Not that many things to do, which is good!

Cheers.
Tusky
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2018, 11:47:44 PM »

Saturday:
? ? ?

Saturday evening: profit
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:44:40 AM by Tusky » Logged
HuvaaKoodia
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2018, 01:06:54 PM »

Saturday:
? ? ?

Saturday evening: profit

I was thinking of Sunday, but the sooner the better!
HuvaaKoodia
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2018, 01:16:06 PM »

Working undertime (?) rather than overtime! Progress?

Had to wait around in public due to RL for an hour and a half, but managed to playtest many levels using a quick & dirty Android build. A tablet is useful for writing and planning on the go too, in a pinch at least.

No image today, tweaks don't tend to translate well to screenshots. Small things, loads of them and, yes, I did come up with more tasks once I started going through the list. That always happens.

Cheers.
HuvaaKoodia
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2018, 01:30:05 PM »

Menu animation: simple and random; will do.

Reordered tasks on the schedule. Leaving the voiceovers as the very last one. Did record a test today and implemented the functionality though.

Pretty much all other program related tasks are done. Will set up the itch.io page tomorrow and make sure the demo works too. No panic, no rush, refreshing.

Cheers!
HuvaaKoodia
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2018, 03:09:05 PM »

Gotta count the last two days, phew that was a lot of over time!

Saturday worked on the demo. Once again WebGL breaks things. This time JSon.net could not serialize Vector3Int objects. Took a while to figure that out. Audio systems need changes too due to lacking support on WebGL.

Today, Sunday, spent the whole day recording, editing and implementing the voiceovers. They turned out ok, despite the crunch. Ha, will not leave such a task to the last day in the future!

Very little time for testing, I'm glad I went through all the levels earlier this week. Fixed some graphical issues, runs on Linux and Windows so... Good enough? Will keep testing after the release. Might need to push an update or two later, who knows? Now I'll be taking a week off. This last day was quite long.

A few more posts on the project still to come up, then I'll be moving on to project 3.  

Try the demo here

Cheers!
HuvaaKoodia
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2018, 05:37:12 AM »

Some project statistics for those interested in... statistics. I'm one of those people, btw.

Hours

Official work days: 45
(5 days per week for 9 weeks)
Official work hours projection: 360
(8 hours a day)
Official "effective" work hours projection: 270
(6 hours a day)

Actual work days: 49
(weekends too)
Actual work hours: 412.5
(weekend hours, overtime, everything)
Actual "effective" work hours: 303
(actual hours minus lunches, breaks, etc. Slightly estimating here)

Successfully followed the schedule this time. A few extra days and hours here and there, but most importantly finished the project on the planned release day; nine weeks is all it took.

Did a few small bug fix builds later. Those don't count...

Code

Significant lines of code (SLOC): 2706
(Swiched to this tool which has more options)
Source files: 52
(Only those actually written for this project)
Average SLOC per file: 52
(What a coincidence!)

Most SLOC in a file: 341
(BlockManager.cs. Loads of functions for manipulating the blocks, i.e. floor tiles.)
Least SLOC in a file: 9
(RoomView.cs. A few references and a Destroy function.)

More reuse this time too. After some tweaking the new tool strips out lines starting with # and empty lines starting with { or }. Not quite perfect regex, but seems ok based on a few tests. Will also rerun the line count for Save the Civies. It is much higher still.

MainController SLOC only 144. Better use of components, I reckon.

Project 3 is up next!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 11:59:33 PM by HuvaaKoodia » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic