Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:57:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignSimple 2D action genres?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Simple 2D action genres?  (Read 1025 times)
stevesan
Level 3

Experienced coder, n00b designer.

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2018, 09:33:55 AM »

Hi all...took a long break from TIG...first post in a long time Smiley

So I have a pretty promising 2D action mechanic for mobile, and I spent a while making it feel good...but now I need to actually ship a game with it. This is a hobby project and I'm in my 30s, so I probably won't be able to spend too much on it. What I want to do then, is ship a game in the simplest genre possible that still let's players enjoy the mechanic.

I wanted to make it a metroid-vania before, but clearly metroid-vanias are not "simple." Then I thought, OK how about a normal linear action game, like Sonic or Mario? Well that's simpler, but I still need to design levels (which I've never really done). I could go even simpler and make a wave-based survival game, like Space Invaders and the such! Then I just need to design enemies and waves. That's where my head is now.

But my question for TIG is...are there any other viable 2D action genres that are even simpler than wave-based survival? Or just as simple? I'm curious what people come up with.

(The mechanic itself is nothing mind-blowing. It's just a fairly novel approach to dash-attacks, that I think works perfectly for mobile and I haven't seen it before.)

LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 06:46:10 AM »

You could try making a beat 'em up! There aren't nearly enough in the market nowadays — Though, I am unsure if it is because there isn't a market for it, or it is just because developers would rather develop something else.

A beat 'em up can be as simple or complex as the developer desires.

Also, I am not sure what age has to do with anything. Good luck!
Xfactor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 02:53:01 AM »

2D game is always a good idea. I miss the old time playing 2D computer game
test84
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 03:13:50 AM »

Hi all...took a long break from TIG...first post in a long time Smiley

So I have a pretty promising 2D action mechanic for mobile, and I spent a while making it feel good...but now I need to actually ship a game with it. This is a hobby project and I'm in my 30s, so I probably won't be able to spend too much on it. What I want to do then, is ship a game in the simplest genre possible that still let's players enjoy the mechanic.

I wanted to make it a metroid-vania before, but clearly metroid-vanias are not "simple." Then I thought, OK how about a normal linear action game, like Sonic or Mario? Well that's simpler, but I still need to design levels (which I've never really done). I could go even simpler and make a wave-based survival game, like Space Invaders and the such! Then I just need to design enemies and waves. That's where my head is now.

But my question for TIG is...are there any other viable 2D action genres that are even simpler than wave-based survival? Or just as simple? I'm curious what people come up with.

(The mechanic itself is nothing mind-blowing. It's just a fairly novel approach to dash-attacks, that I think works perfectly for mobile and I haven't seen it before.)

Check out Horde Mode from Gears of War, if you want to focus more on action. Or maybe a runner?

Or maybe checkout what Dandara did and do something new and unique with it which doesn't take that much time.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic