Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:29:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralI want to start a developers diary. What should I use?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I want to start a developers diary. What should I use?  (Read 678 times)
tankun
Level 0

Santima Games

View Profile WWW
« on: April 01, 2018, 11:47:54 PM »

Well, as the title suggest, I'm working on a new game title and I'd like to start a developers diary.

What sort of templates or api's do you use to do that?

I have a domain and hosting account that supports wordpress and such.

Or do you simply use facebook?

Thanks for the help.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 12:08:38 AM »

use devlogs on tigsource.com
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 12:15:30 AM »

maybe crosspost to devlogs on a game landing page on your itchio, and twitter, & post good milestone ones to reddit.com/r/gamedev/  Gomez

@doomlaser, mark johns
tankun
Level 0

Santima Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 12:27:50 AM »

use devlogs on tigsource.com

Oh yes, of course. Thanks.
tankun
Level 0

Santima Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 12:54:08 AM »

maybe crosspost to devlogs on a game landing page on your itchio, and twitter, & post good milestone ones to reddit.com/r/gamedev/  Gomez

This makes good sense too. Why bother with a wordpress (or a blog API) right?

I've hardly been a follower of reddit myself. I think I find it too ugly if the word is right but you have a point. A lot of traffic there. As you've said maybe not post everything on reddit but just milestones.

Good advice thank you.
CodeLobe
Level 0

Decide to Act Sensibly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 01:30:24 PM »

To make a Developer's "Diary":

First make your own paper by grinding "reclaimed" newspapers in Blender with 2x the water.  Add some cornstarch to replace the sizing.  Then use a tub to pull pages with a used window screen stretched and stapled to wood that used to be a fence.

Turn over onto dry felt (old shirts in my case), layering the pages and felts, and press to remove excess water.  Then gently remove and hang the pages to dry in the evening sun.

While drying collect lamp-black: Soot from candle wicks that are too long (best if having burnt the midnight oil with a genius or other laborer of love).  Grind the black powder using a fine pestal along with Gum Arabic (or dried gelatin from boiled bones in my case) and add a bit of water. Finish with a drop of vodka or other high concentration spirit to break your surface tensions.  This will be the ink, you can make as much as you need on demand with the supplies handy.  Dried egg whites (or other Creative juices) can work in a pinch instead of the gelatin.

Using a sharp blade cut the tip of a turkey, goose, or other large fowl quill leaving an acute 33 degree slope.  A splint of wood or plastic straw can work in a pinch.  Split a bit of the tip so that it holds ink.  Attach to a nicely sanded wooden wand using sap from a family's tree and twine (boiled bark fibers in my case).  Heat the sap over fire to soften and allow hardening.  When cooled you can practice writing sigils on the imperfectly dried sheets.  Test their flammability: The pages should burn easily when folded accordion style into 6 segments.

Next fold 3 to 6 sheets of the dried paper and punch small holes down the crease.  Stitch these together via the holes into "chapters".  Then tie the chapters together into a book via the threads hanging out he backs.  Glue a cloth strip as backing for the book.  Cut (and possibly sand) the page edges level with each the other. Glue the first and last pages to thin wood to make the front and back covers (birch, ash or oak is the typical tradition).  Next wrap this book in consensually acquired or reclaimed leather.  Moisten the skin and liberally glue it to the front and back boards.  Use a dull bone knife to smooth out any wrinkles. Press gently and allow to fully dry before using.

Optionally attach a latch & lock mechanism to the covers to keep the pages from curling (usually only necessary for parchment paper made from animal skin, but gives a classic feel). 

Now you have a proper tome to begin recording your development.  This is what I believe you should use.  Marketing Mojo is a separate spell than Creating Magic.
Tusky
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 01:40:09 PM »

To make a Developer's "Diary":

First make your own paper by grinding "reclaimed" newspapers in Blender with 2x the water.  Add some cornstarch to replace the sizing.  Then use a tub to pull pages with a used window screen stretched and stapled to wood that used to be a fence.

Turn over onto dry felt (old shirts in my case), layering the pages and felts, and press to remove excess water.  Then gently remove and hang the pages to dry in the evening sun.

While drying collect lamp-black: Soot from candle wicks that are too long (best if having burnt the midnight oil with a genius or other laborer of love).  Grind the black powder using a fine pestal along with Gum Arabic (or dried gelatin from boiled bones in my case) and add a bit of water. Finish with a drop of vodka or other high concentration spirit to break your surface tensions.  This will be the ink, you can make as much as you need on demand with the supplies handy.  Dried egg whites (or other Creative juices) can work in a pinch instead of the gelatin.

Using a sharp blade cut the tip of a turkey, goose, or other large fowl quill leaving an acute 33 degree slope.  A splint of wood or plastic straw can work in a pinch.  Split a bit of the tip so that it holds ink.  Attach to a nicely sanded wooden wand using sap from a family's tree and twine (boiled bark fibers in my case).  Heat the sap over fire to soften and allow hardening.  When cooled you can practice writing sigils on the imperfectly dried sheets.  Test their flammability: The pages should burn easily when folded accordion style into 6 segments.

Next fold 3 to 6 sheets of the dried paper and punch small holes down the crease.  Stitch these together via the holes into "chapters".  Then tie the chapters together into a book via the threads hanging out he backs.  Glue a cloth strip as backing for the book.  Cut (and possibly sand) the page edges level with each the other. Glue the first and last pages to thin wood to make the front and back covers (birch, ash or oak is the typical tradition).  Next wrap this book in consensually acquired or reclaimed leather.  Moisten the skin and liberally glue it to the front and back boards.  Use a dull bone knife to smooth out any wrinkles. Press gently and allow to fully dry before using.

Optionally attach a latch & lock mechanism to the covers to keep the pages from curling (usually only necessary for parchment paper made from animal skin, but gives a classic feel). 

Now you have a proper tome to begin recording your development.  This is what I believe you should use.  Marketing Mojo is a separate spell than Creating Magic.

Also Mastodon
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic