Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:04:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNytro - A Spyro-inspired 3D platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Nytro - A Spyro-inspired 3D platformer  (Read 2082 times)
OhiraKyou
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2018, 01:13:16 AM »

Download the public demo from itch.io

Nytro is an exploration and collectible-focused 3D platformer game inspired by the original Spyro trilogy. The game's main character is Nytro, a robot cat that can jump, charge, glide, and swim. Nytro is joined by a floating robot companion that collects bolts and serves as an external power supply, and thus Nytro's health.

The game's story is told implicitly through environmental details rather than dialog. The player is presented with beautiful worlds, the threat of their destruction, and a path to the destruction's would-be source. Throughout their journey, the player collects bolts and golden gears to unlock a series of hub worlds, ultimately leading to the game's final boss.

Available now is a public demo for Windows, Mac, and Linux featuring the game's first hub world. More levels will be added to this demo as they are finished. When the entire game is finished and ready for launch, the free demo will contain a few levels, with the full version available for purchase.

Discord  |  Press kit

I usually post screenshots of WIP levels on Twitter. But, I may occasionally post here when there's something particularly interesting to mention.

Demo  |  Patreon  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Press kit
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 01:34:00 AM by OhiraKyou » Logged

OhiraKyou
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 01:13:33 AM »

The screenshots in the opening post are from the game's first hub world, which is playable in the public demo and mostly finished. However, there are also some other worlds in WIP states.

This is the Crystal Fissure, where valuable crystals with the potential to bestow sapience, both to robots and nature, are being mined.

And, this is the Scrapyard, a nanomachine-infected robot graveyard in which nothing rests and weighted gravestones hold the dead in their place.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 01:51:38 AM by OhiraKyou » Logged

Sanud
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 07:11:51 PM »

Nice aesthetic and looks promising! I'll be lurking this one Smiley

Agora ta fazeh/Now making:
Narativa di Tera Sanud/Tales of Tera Sanud

pun ja fazeh/also made For Emery
Kinjo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 07:45:10 AM »

Agreed, the aesthetic looks awesome! Played a bit of the demo just now and you really did nail the Spyro feel. Lots of good potential here, looking forward to more!

OhiraKyou
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 09:53:16 PM »

Some subtle color grading/correction can really bring a composition together. Here's a comparison before (top) and after (bottom) applying color grading to Nytro's grassy hub world:

tig
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 10:05:10 PM »

Very cool stuff, especially the dark level with glowing greens. I really like Spyro. Might make my own clone at one point in the future. It was a good game.

OhiraKyou
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 08:03:03 AM »

Faking lighting through vector evaluation composition

I recently needed to apply a fake lighting effect for the green goo in Nytro's scrapyard level's crypt. The effect needed to fade out toward the ceiling, the back of a side room, and around an exit door, with the shape of the light volume varying as needed to fade believably and smoothly with the player's position.

In addition, I wanted the freedom to affect both Nytro's shadow and light color—defined in a shader—along with a custom light direction. And, with how often games need to respond to a position, I wanted the system to be generic enough to be potentially useful elsewhere.

So, I basically made a shader for positions.

The core concept is to input a Vector3 (the player's position, in this case) and receive a Vector4 as an output. Anything between the input and output acts much like a shader or layer in an image editor would, modifying an existing value in an arbitrary manner in response to an input. This potentially allows position-driven fake light to be colored procedurally. And, the system can be reused for anything else that needs to produce a value from a position.

For the crypt's light, I first defined a set of scripts inheriting from an abstract VectorLayer class. These include a solid box volume, a cylinder volume (with a radial gradient), and a linear gradient. These classes override a function that returns a Vector4 for a given Vector3 and existing value. And, the VectorLayer base class contains a blend mode property that defines how a layer is applied to the existing value (e.g., the value produced by the previous layer). For example, the solid box volume simply returns one value if a box contains the given position and another value if it doesn't.

A MultiVectorLayer class (which also inherits from VectorLayer) then simply loops through a list of layers, passing the output of one layer into the input of the next (along with the player's position). This class acts as a layer group and also as a layer in and of itself, allowing a system to make use of an arbitrary hierarchy of shape and modifier layers.

For example, in the crypt, I have defined one solid box for the main chamber and a second solid box for a side room. These are applied additively to form a volume. A horizontal linear gradient is applied on top of the side room to fade the light out toward the dark back. A cylinder sits at the exit with a radial gradient that smoothly fades light around the doorway. And, because the light is coming from the pool in the bottom of the main chamber, a vertical linear gradient is applied multiplicatively over the whole thing to fade it from bottom to top.

Here's a GIF of the system directly modifying Nytro's lighting values in response to position:
https://gfycat.com/BlindDefinitiveChupacabra

And, finally, here are a couple of screenshots taken before (left) and after (right) applying the simulated lighting while very close to the green goo:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic