Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:34:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsARENA (hand painted game) (COMPLETE)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: ARENA (hand painted game) (COMPLETE)  (Read 3087 times)
claybornp
Level 0

claypeterson.co for art things

View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2018, 09:46:23 AM »

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I posted anything on here.

I've been working on a new hand painted first person battle game called ARENA! I'm really excited with the art. Let me know what you think. If people are interested, I'll post more updates about its development. in the meantime, here's the trailer:

UPDATE 4/30/19
I've decided to make the Arena demo (v0.4) accessible via password.
The download page is: https://claypeterson.itch.io/arena
The password is: goblin

I have included OSX & Windows builds!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 09:33:17 AM by claybornp » Logged
unsinister
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 09:54:47 AM »

This is great, the title card made me laugh out loud. Really charming. Looks like it can get quite busy on the screen though, where it's hard to make out what's happening. Could just be something you get used to as you play though! I absolutely want to see more.

claybornp
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 09:02:44 PM »

This is great, the title card made me laugh out loud. Really charming. Looks like it can get quite busy on the screen though, where it's hard to make out what's happening. Could just be something you get used to as you play though! I absolutely want to see more.

the trailer is mostly "action shots" Wizard
unsinister
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 12:01:32 AM »

Upon a rewatch it's not as busy as I first felt Smiley

Fuzzy Branch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 11:59:06 AM »

Cool to see you going for a different visual style. One minor crit would be to look into adding more variety in the pose of the hands -- it's a little weird to have them always in the same position/pose regardless of what actions are being performed.
Good luck!

aperson4321
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 03:21:51 PM »

I really like the distinct art style, really nice. I am not an animator but I would suggest to change the animations of the hands and make them take up slightly less screen space, maybe you could look at the magic casting animations in games like dark messia and use those as guides for how to draw the hands, if you are going to have the hands on the screen at all times then they are the most important art asset in the game. But really nice distinct art style, I can't remember seeing any other game quite like it.
claybornp
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 03:33:01 PM »

I really like the distinct art style, really nice. I am not an animator but I would suggest to change the animations of the hands and make them take up slightly less screen space, maybe you could look at the magic casting animations in games like dark messia and use those as guides for how to draw the hands, if you are going to have the hands on the screen at all times then they are the most important art asset in the game. But really nice distinct art style, I can't remember seeing any other game quite like it.

thanks I'll check it out. it's been ages since I played dark messiah. the art in arena is painted with arylic then cut out in photoshop.
IndieGameFiend
Level 0

IndieGameFiend.Net

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 11:53:08 PM »

this and the few upcoming claymation games i've seen have me super excited. always scouting for games that actually look different artistically. good luck with this!  Coffee

EvilKYO
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 06:24:50 AM »

I love this type of games, it’s so much work, but it worth it. About the artwork, i’m not a big fan of it in this game, it looks unpolished and a little childlish.

The gameplay  makes me remember the Heretic game, a very old one, but so much fun. Keep working! I want to see more! Good luck
claybornp
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 04:33:05 PM »

Hey every! It's me, back from the dead.
I did NOT release Arena when I intended to last year because I fell in to a lil slump of sadness, but now I'm back, and I'm inspired! I want Arena out in the wild!

Starting today, I have begun the alpha testing process.
I'm hosting the game on itch.io, and it is currently in restricted access but if anyone is interested in playing, let me know in the comments and I will send you a download link.

Good luck, and have fun! (that what we're all here for, right?)
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 12:21:31 AM »

I am absolutely here to have fun. I don't know if the hands were constantly shaking like that because the player is attacking but if they normally do not shake like that PLEASE add a jazz hands button because it looks really funny. Good luck and have fun.
claybornp
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 06:31:44 PM »

I am absolutely here to have fun. I don't know if the hands were constantly shaking like that because the player is attacking but if they normally do not shake like that PLEASE add a jazz hands button because it looks really funny. Good luck and have fun.

jazz hands happen anytime you move Smiley you are after all, a magical freak.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 01:58:04 AM »

jazz hands happen anytime you move Smiley you are after all, a magical freak.
thank you, that's kind of you to say
claybornp
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 06:07:50 PM »

I started a play testing thread if anyone is interested: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=67304.0
and I generated a batch of download keys that are available on the page. I will remove them as they're claimed.   Who, Me?
claybornp
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 06:10:55 PM »

I've been meaning to add windows support for a long time but my unity3D installation didn't have it installed, and right now I don't have internet at my house Giggle, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone by going to the coffee shop and downloading the latest version of unity as well as the windows build support.

It was a bit tough updating the project from the early 2018 version to the new 2019 version, but I was able to get everything running at satisfactory speed.
I created builds for Arena (V0.4) for OSX and Windows, and posted them on itch.io. I've posted a link in my title post, but if you've missed it,
the download page is: https://claypeterson.itch.io/arena
and the password is: goblin

thanks for reading, have fun! welcome windows friends!
Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2019, 12:06:30 AM »

I really loved the dialogue during the introduction. Some of the ingame lines are not as pleasing, the shop keeper in particular is kind of irritating? Not that I really got far enough to buy much -- it was quite possibly an issue with my mouse, not the game, but my clicks weren't being detected a lot of the time.

Pretty fun when they were tho! I'm glad there's some interesting abilities for the enemies, and your shield is much appreciated. I also really like the fx for the snake eyes and arrows, those are cool. I dig the overall mood and palette.

Oh and the "FIGHT FIGht FIght fight FIGHT" is a great line!

claybornp
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2019, 06:40:19 AM »

I really loved the dialogue during the introduction. Some of the ingame lines are not as pleasing, the shop keeper in particular is kind of irritating? Not that I really got far enough to buy much -- it was quite possibly an issue with my mouse, not the game, but my clicks weren't being detected a lot of the time.

Pretty fun when they were tho! I'm glad there's some interesting abilities for the enemies, and your shield is much appreciated. I also really like the fx for the snake eyes and arrows, those are cool. I dig the overall mood and palette.

Oh and the "FIGHT FIGht FIght fight FIGHT" is a great line!

did you try the windows or the os x build? I'm curious about your mouse issues! Also, I voiced the shopkeeper Durr...? that's my annoying voice! pitched up of course...
claybornp
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2019, 03:52:01 PM »

Hey everyone! It's been about a month since I posted a new version of Arena and today I have released V0.5!

Whats New

1. The Enchiridion: I spend the last month building a web application for storing user profiles that I call the "enchiridion". My big idea with Arena, and the subsequent sequels, is that the achievements that the player earns in one game are carried into the others and provide special bonuses, for example: starting perks, special armor, extra levels... yadayada.

2. Login: Arena now has a login screen that allows you create a user profile on the enchiridion and begin tracking stats (kills, deaths, wins, losses). But don't worry, you can still play without logging in.

3. Leaderboard: Arena now has a leaderboard system so that you can see how you compare against everyone else!

4. Updater: Arena now checks the enchiridion for the latest version, and popups an update download UI if a new version exists.

My plan for the next update is to include the final 10 levels, and introduce multiplayer.

Go check it out: https://claypeterson.itch.io/arena
password: goblin 
claybornp
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2019, 04:53:48 PM »

Hey everyone! I'm back with some news, and a new build!

Physical news: I recently linked up with this organization "Playcrafting" in New York City, and through them I showed ARENA at a convention they hosted called "Spring Play". It was really fun watching people play my game Wizard

In DEV news: I released a new build today: v0.7, which includes a lot more audience members! The leaderboard that I added in the last update shows 10 users, and now there are more than 10 registered users, so it's a legitimate leaderboard! Go beat someone's highscore! Toast Right

Download: https://claypeterson.itch.io/arena
MrCobble112
Level 0

Yup

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2019, 03:44:27 PM »

Brilliant game. I genuinely love the unique art style. The only criticism I have is that I think when you're in game, their should be a proper way to exit or quit. Besides that, It's awesome. 
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic