Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 02:03:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralJonathan Blow about JAI, deep work, game and program language design (22min)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Jonathan Blow about JAI, deep work, game and program language design (22min)  (Read 1818 times)
chrisb78
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2018, 06:56:26 AM »

Hey everyone,

I started a YouTube channel in autumn, about all sorts of creative endeavors and the individuals pursuing them.

Here's the video of Jonathan Blow discussion program language and game design - recorded in Seattle in October 2017:

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 09:51:33 AM by ProgramGamer » Logged
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 08:56:23 AM »

i wanted to post something funny but this seems like a really insightful high effort thing you've done here. congratulations.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 09:21:18 AM »

Joe is right, this is a really impressive project. I'm very excited for your Dwarf Fortress video now.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 09:52:16 AM »

I edited the op so that the video would show correctly. Youtube embedding is weird around here, sorry about that.

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 07:52:25 PM »

Blow is fascinating and impressive and so is The Witness to be sure. I personally seek to do different things with my games than Blow though. I think Blow is focused on "greatness" and making these monumental things like a new language to replace c++ but I personally am more interested in making fun stuff, so his talks always irk me a bit.

He does provide a sense that game making is the path to greatness so I'm sure that's a large part of why a lot of players and devs like his talks but they never quite gel with me because I want to do different stuff. I don't care if everyone calls my stuff cheesy or silly as long as the players are having fun ya know? Took me a long time to start feeling that way because a lot of people hate cheesy fun but alas...

Lares Yamoir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 04:37:43 AM »

Thanks for the video. Watching it right now Smiley

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 05:02:18 AM »

This channel is so good!

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 05:52:26 AM »

I finally took time to listen to some of these (mostly Dwarf Fortress talks) and it's lovely. Very inspirational while you draw, do spring cleaning or playing some grindy mmo

Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 10:36:10 AM »

I came across this a while ago when you first started your channel, and this is some fantastic stuff. Keep up the good work.

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 01:51:25 AM »

An unironic super joe post is the highest honor one can receive on this forum. Cherish it.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 04:55:20 AM »

I'm mostly interested in the notion that the games developed would run faster.  As a programmer/creative writer I'm so obsessed with perfecting my own work it's hard to discover clean premade code from big companies that can't break.  Anything that'd speed up new code and remove reliance on 'lower level code' is great.

He mentions going back to text in the first video. Well, the abstract variables are important.  I think a better ludic interface that's ergonomic is key to why keyboard is very functional, and GUI is great for moving objects (less for abstract programming).  Programming's not really cut and paste, like some beginners would say.  I'll be waiting for a mind reading device.

There's another related video talking about how slow c++ actually is, "Jon Blow's Design decisions on creating Jai a new language for game programmers".

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 01:14:54 AM »

There's another related video talking about how slow c++ actually is
It is not slow, only the compilation and certain workarounds to get "nice things" if you aren't happy with what c++ has to offer.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Pumpkinteractive
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 08:40:36 AM »

There's another related video talking about how slow c++ actually is, "Jon Blow's Design decisions on creating Jai a new language for game programmers".
I'm not a big fan of his games but I definitely want to try jai now after watching this, I come from web development and can relate to it, like the pain it always is to relearn and inherit the entire ecosystem whenever there is a new way to render form fields or to do it the right way now with the new schrodinger.js framework, gosh I wish I could be a gamedev fulltime

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 03:51:56 AM »

I'm not a big fan of his games but I definitely want to try jai now after watching this
You won't be able to for a while except you are in the group of close testers. Keep in mind, it is not a committee language but the work of one individual. It is safe to assume that his language will have bits and pieces which will suit his own specific mindset, but not necessarily yours.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic