Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:52:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioGetting 32 independent audio channels out of a game engine
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Getting 32 independent audio channels out of a game engine  (Read 966 times)
Miszka0112
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2018, 04:29:26 PM »

I am an audio researcher developing new audiovisual technologies and currently interested in new applications for games, especially in areas of VR arcades, large immersive spaces, 360 degree installations and even escape rooms.

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas how to get 32 independent channels (or more) of audio output in real-time from a game engine like Unity that can be spatially mapped to XY coordinates of virtual objects in a screen, or the XYZ coordinates for a spatial enclosure, when most game engines only allow for fixed pre-defined output formats such as stereo, 5.1 or 7.1.

I have an executive summary of the technology online at (the link also includes my email address): http://bit.ly/pixelphonics

Thanks,
M
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 03:43:49 PM »

Well, and this is just for starters, you would first need hardware that can actually handle multi-channel output. 32 independent hardware outputs isn't going to be anything to sniff at, either. Most computer systems don't actually support that kind of audio output. Most of them only support 5.1, 7.1, etc... through their standard audio output ports, or through HDMI. This is where we generally run into a bottleneck. Then there's the fact that most computer systems simply don't allow the selection of multiple audio output devices. That is actually one of the biggest hurdles you'll have to overcome.

Oddly enough, the Mac OSX is one of the only major operating systems that does seem to support this kind of functionality right out of the box. So if you have an Apple, there is a reasonably affordable solution you can implement, even if the actual mechanics for it are a pain in the butt.
Miszka0112
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 08:43:38 AM »

Actually it's very easy to get 32 channel output with a single USB cable and an Orion 32 digital/analog converter box (the analog output of which can be sent to a speaker amplifier etc.). Not the kind of setup for a typical living room but more for large scale immersive exhibitions etc.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 12:14:45 PM »

You say very easy. However, after some quick research I find that the Orion 32 is specialized hardware that costs upwards of $2500 USD. It appears to be a fine device, and would definitely get you those channels you need. But it is also extremely specialized hardware that not many people are going to have access to. (and costs a fair amount) As such, it won't be easy for you to find specific tutorials on how to integrate it into a game engine, as you would need to utilize whatever interface it is using for interpreting data over it's USB connection. I'm not even sure what it would show up as on your computer after you plugged it in, so I can't really be certain how you could adjust a game engine to link up to it.

Your best bet is to investigate all the specifics about the Orion 32 itself and its drivers, and try to find out how it generally interfaces with a computer. That might give you a better idea of how to identify it in game engine software, and mix for it in your program. Most modern game engines have some level of audio channel control, so I imagine it wouldn't be that difficult to create a virtual approximation of the space you plan on using, and then feeding the different audio listeners out to the separate channels you intend to use.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic